Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Heupel can have 3 classes ranked around 10 I think we could compete with anyone in the country. He could then utilize a complete roster and at least scheme against some of the elite teams to the point where we could have success. He’s just so hamstrung by a lack of talent it’s ridiculous.
I love people who say Tennessee isnt an easy or top job or its tough to recruit too.

We have and have had top annual recruiting budge for the 20 years ive followed it.

This and the fact that he thought he didn’t need a real S&C coach. The talent wasn't getting developed and staying injured.
Yeah. He thought he was going to revolutionize S&C and play in the SEC. He threw his "smaller, quicker" OL's against DL's that were bigger and quicker.

His focus on the "fine points of playing winning football" like sleep studies while fundamentals were lacking... was malpractice.

Jones brought some talent in. That wasn't his main problem. His problem was that he was an imbecile on gameday and couldn't develop players once he got them. The worst thing though is that he was a very poor leader and terrible manager of the players.

I think the Hurd drama revealed exactly who Jones was as a leader and coach. Lots of people blame Hurd but he literally could have gone anywhere. He helped recruit his class. He bled orange. He was everything you could want in a recruit. In just a few years, he couldn't get away from Jones and UT fast enough. He WAS lied to by Jones to keep him from transferring earlier. His "blow up" was the end of a long line of Jones' incompetence.
Always believed Butch lied to both Hurd and DeBord. DeBord tinkered with the offset I against Northwestern and mixing it up with the spread would have allowed us to keep defenses from teeing off on Hurd and also allowed Kamara to get more reps…some with Hurd on the field at the same time. 3 total snaps I counted the next season. DeBord “retired” and Hurd transferred. 😒

This and the fact that he thought he didn’t need a real S&C coach. The talent wasn't getting developed and staying injured.
He knew he needed a “real S&C coach”…that’s why he brought Lawson with him. Failure was trying to reverse the narrative that he only hired his boys and allowing JRM and Kamara to influence him to cut Lawson loose. That and also taking their suggestion and replacing him with THEIR boy, Szerszen. By the time that was wrecked no way Gullickson could have repaired the wrecked culture…even if he were able.

Last edited:
Sorry to all the EPL brotherhood who do not support LFC as you’ll be terrorized by Mo Salah until 2025!

Giving a 31 year old, whose play could drop off a cliff at any moment, 350k/week wages is either going to be a brilliant move, or a disaster. There is no in between. If you give him that kind of money and the team fails to win another UCL or EPL title, then it’s 100% a bust.

Giving a 31 year old, whose play could drop off a cliff at any moment, 350k/week wages is either going to be a brilliant move, or a disaster. There is no in between. If you give him that kind of money and the team fails to win another UCL or EPL title, then it’s 100% a bust.
Touché, but it also is not like LFC do this with many other players, if any. Compared to the likes of Chelsea, City & PSG, LFC is much more fiscally responsible. Even though Salah is 31, he is a pro’s pro - doesn’t drink, eats extremely healthy, etc. While I realize this wasn’t the argue you were making, I’d also much rather pay Salah that kind of money than say a Neymar.

He knew he needed a “real S&C coach”…that’s why he brought Lawson with him. Failure was trying to reverse the narrative that he only hired his boys and allowing JRM and Kamara to influence him to cut Lawson loose. That and also taking their suggestion and replacing him with THEIR boy, Szerszen. By the time that was wrecked no way Gullickson could repaired the wrecked culture…even if he were able.
According to player youtube (Kyler Kerbyson), he cut Lawson and other coaches at the request of a few of the higher profile players.

I love people who say Tennessee isnt an easy or top job or its tough to recruit too.

We have and have had top annual recruiting budge for the 20 years ive followed it.

Is it the chicken or the egg though? We have to travel for recruits because there isn’t much talent in a 2.5 hour radius from Knoxville.

Stability has been the biggest issue. Kiffin would have been successful but he left. The next three should never have been hired. We may finally have the right coach but he just needs time. Everything else is in place.

Touché, but it also is not like LFC do this with many other players, if any. Compared to the likes of Chelsea, City & PSG, LFC is much more fiscally responsible. Even though Salah is 31, he is a pro’s pro - doesn’t drink, eats extremely healthy, etc. While I realize this wasn’t the argue you were making, I’d also much rather pay Salah that kind of money than say a Neymar.

For sure. All valid points and the reason why I said it could still end up brilliant. I’ve actually seen a bit of a mixed review from LFC fans online about it for the reasons I mentioned. That 350k could have been spread around to strengthen and add depth to the team over giving it to 1 person, especially with how good LFC and Klopp are at evaluating talent, mainly young talent. It’s hard to say what I’d do if I were in charge but I want to say I’d sell him for the 50-60M figure I saw and invest it back into getting some more younger talent for depth the next year or two that will grow into 1st teamers. Guys like Thiago, Fabhino, etc are only getting older. But again, I get it, he’s a club legend and LFC is in win now mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back