Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIAP, discussion on Birmingham radio WJOX, Ok State has been in communication with Sankey. Could see them joining SEC with either UNC or FSU?
🤦🏼‍♂️ It isnt NIL ruining CFB.

CFB needed less NCAA not bigger conferences. I have no interest in watching a UNC/TN matchup in that
dump stadium with 5 people.

we are going to be on a commitment spree like none other starting tonight at 7PM. May get 8-10 the next 8-10 days????
catapult to top five, finish somewhere in 8-10 range.

We needed tackle bodies, and we went after the best.

if Elarbee makes this happen he has to be in the convo for RoY

SIAP, discussion on Birmingham radio WJOX, Ok State has been in communication with Sankey. Could see them joining SEC with either UNC or FSU?

I just hope if we want to add some more we do it wisely. A while back, during the OK TX fury I posted an alternate plan for an 18 team conference. Three divisions of 6 teams, play each division foe and have a rotating home and away with two teams each of the other divsions. The beauty is that you end the season with a four team semi game of the division winners and the highest rated team from the balance. This way if your only loss is to a bama class team on the road you still have a designed path to the big game. So we still get to 9 games, and see everybody home and away every 6 years. I would also like to see the ability to play one natural in conference rival outside the nine official games that does not count in the standings to continue annual rivalries if it is that important. Personally, I would prefer we pick up NC and VT to complete the SE map. Let an expanded BIG do all the travelling. Both will get big TV money. Both might need to do some drop adds to their membership to reach maximum strength and include a few of the outliers who might be more deserving of inclusion and eliminating those talt simply do not have the resources to match up, i.e. Vandy and Northwestern.

I guess it is possible a third 18 team super conference could be formed and that would get the 54 best schools involved and might be needed to support scheduling needs for the other major sports with similar schedule structure mixes of your own conference and rotating from the other super conferences. So the mix of strength of the major sports would drive the conference structures, not just football. However all members would be required to show legitimate ability to compete in all the major sports. But the imbalance of strength in a third conference might not work. But the best of the rest entering the four team playoff would work again in football and the new ALT march madness algorithms could be worked out. Would have to accept the potential that all games would have to be scheduled within the new super conferences, so patsy games might have to go away and that will ruffle a few feathers. But a complete break from NCAA seems unavoidable if we start down this path. The down side is the money games for the smaller schools take a big hit.

I'll watch UT, no matter who/where.
True, but, my point was any game versus a traditionally poo ACC program is uninspiring. Incorporating them into SEC is a joke, they dont give one **** about football. You should see their stadium. It has zero personality, zip. No pageantry, you can have a normal convo even after a TD.

Super conferences are a cluster.

Reactions: Devo182
Know a rival -

John Ruiz – Miami’s “billionaire” booster

This is all speculation/opinion based on my reading around.

It looks like to me that Ruiz was estimated to be worth at least $21.4 billion based on the valuation of his company (MSP Recovery) before it was listed for trading on the NASDAQ. Well, a funny thing happened when the stock went public on May 24th of this year; It tanked within the first hour, losing over 60% of its value. Today the price is down almost 80% from its issue price. It’s been lower and even broke below $1.00 on June 14. The company has to maintain a minimum price ($1.00) to keep from getting booted off the exchange. Ruiz himself has recently bought the stock, presumably to support the price.

The idea behind the company seems sound but they are not without well-established competitors. The problem is they’re not making any money yet. It looks like their revenues in the 1st quarter of this year were around $9 million but with 90 employees and operating and interest expenses it looks like they have a net loss of $33 million in the quarter. My guess is that they need around $200m in annual revenue to be profitable, assuming their costs don't increase. They have a ways to go. jmo.

Ruiz owns around 65-70% of the company and his partner owns 24% so the available shares to the public is pretty tiny. Ruiz can’t sell his shares because any selling will crater the stock. It hard for me to see how his shares are worth anything, at least right now. jmo.

There’s some confusion as to what the market cap of the company is today. Barons and Marketwatch say $8.7 billion but sites that calculate the value based on shares outstanding and the stock price put the company’s market cap at around $28 million. Quite a discrepancy.

When the company went public presumably to raise capital, it actually lost money. It couldn’t pay the bankers that managed the listing so Ruiz and his partner had to loan the company $113 million of their own money to pay their bankers and provide some working capital.

I could write about the mechanics of the company, which I think is a good idea, but that would be long. I don’t think Ruiz is realistic (and neither do most analysts – see stock price) about how successful the company can be. He throws around big numbers but they don’t mean anything unless one doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The company and its public offering were described as sketchy by I think the publication was Forbes. I could see how the idea could make money but I think probably only a very tiny fraction of the impression I think Ruiz tries to give. He could be right; I just don’t see it and I haven’t found anyone objective that sees it either. jmo.

He’s not a debt collector but that’s sort of the game. This is an example of how it works. A person gets injured in a car accident, breaks an arm. The person goes to the hospital and gives them their health insurance card and so the Doctor and hospital and maybe pharmacy bill the health insurance company. That’s wasn’t supposed to be the way it works. The auto insurance company was supposed to pay the bill. So on behalf of the health insurance company Ruiz goes to the auto insurance company and says pay up. He gets to keep half of anything he recovers for his client, in this case, the health insurance company.

A lot of Doctors and hospital push bills off onto Medicare and Medicaid that should be paid by some other form of insurance, private, workman’s comp, etc. On behalf of the feds and states Ruiz seeks to identify these instances and recover for his client some of the monies they paid out. He has a sophisticated technology approach which match multiple data sources and scans medical bills line by line looking for wrongful billing. That’s the way it works.

Life Wallet, which is the vehicle he is using for his NIL deals, is a subsidiary of MSP Recovery. I think Life Wallet is basically a person's medical file on an app so the medical records are always handy if the person needs medical care anywhere in the world. jmo.

In an attempt to generate revenue Ruiz has been selling some “selected” amount of his “inventory” (more promising prospective cases) to hedge funds for what looks like pennies on the dollar but claims he’s not giving up his 50% cut in anything he can win from the cases. Apparently, he’s using hedge funds to buy out the interest of his original clients as they’re willing to take anything since they weren’t expecting anything to begin with. jmo.

There’s no question Ruiz has made millions in his career. There is a big question as to whether or not he is a billionaire in anything other than on paper which for all intents and purposes doesn’t appear to be worth anything right now. He owns the Cigarette racing boat company in which reportedly he installed his 22 year old son as the CEO. smh.

He also owns a $40m estate in Coral Gables and he just had a used 767 jet he bought from Australian Airlines retrofitted with a high end luxurious VIP interior. He made his money as a personal injury attorney. When you see the round up liability commercials on TV, that was one of the cases he was involved in.

He posted on twitter that his NIL budget (Life Wallet advertising using student athletes) is $10m per year. At the end of April he had spent $2.3m of that and the most recent report is his spending has reached $7m. He said On3’s report of $9.5m to Miami’s new QB commit was inaccurate.

There are some Miami fans who are wondering if Ruiz is legit. Some of them have that nagging sense that everything doesn’t add up.

On the Q&A Spyre had with members of the Volunteer Club earlier this week, it was reported that they said they had 600 members so far plus 25 others who were contributing. The 25 others I took to probably be our big guns. I'm pretty confident our guys are legit. jmo.

This is a list of reported Ruiz’s NIL deals from the end of April this year.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-25-at-12-12-58-PM.png

Donor fatigue is already setting in. Donors are getting hit left and right for money for facility improvements in every major sport, ticket prices are going up, academics need funding for new programs and buildings-- and now NIL is added to the mix. The networks and conferences are making bank, and fans and donors are expected to pay more and more for an experience many are finding less rewarding.

This 💯. Two maybe three more years I’m done. Will be cutting back after this year and gave back basketball while upgrading football because they split the donation and I just can’t get to many basketball games anymore

If we did scavenge the acc, this is the move

UNC,Duke, Clempson, Miami, FSU
the more and more all of this realignment is talked about, the more i think the SEC would probably like to add the markets of NC and VA, moreso than just beefing up the markets we're already in. i think if they have the opportunity to add out of the current footprint, it makes sense from a branding standpoint to add Clemson and Miami. i don't know what they get by adding FSU. and i'd bet the BIG10 would like to dip it's toe in to the FL market, so i doubt we'd get all 3, even if we wanted all 3 major FL schools.

i think we'd want UNC over Duke, and i think VA and/or VT, and maybe even Pitt. the one thing this move the Big 10 did is it's forcing footprint expansion as much as it is # of programs. plus, you have to consider all sports, not just football. Academically, some of the core ACC schools fit the BIg 10, more than the SEC, so that will be a consideration for those programs.

but you can't discount the "get out while the getting's good" factor either. if the ACC is a sinking ship....some of those programs are going to look sooner than later for that lifeline. so, i'd imagine the next couple of months are going to be interesting as the dust settles.

and there's still good programs out there that don't have a home, that will think they deserve a spot in this new conf set up....like UCF, Cincy, TCU, WVU and left over ACC/Pac12 programs....and who's to say there's still not some other big 12 dominos that could fall.

Just saying…….

NIL
Conference realignment
Transfer Portal

College football is losing a lot of luster for me.
NFL is almost better in my eyes…….
Total BS
agree, 110%. The NFL would do well to cut with Satellite exclusivity and move into a more available product (EPL should as wel). I would def sign up.

Reactions: peaygolf
Agree, not one of those fake Butchy trash top 10 classes lol.
Some of Butch’s classes were very good. He had a perfect storm of legacy players and in state talent and capitalized on it.

If Heupel finishes out strongly he’s probably the best recruiter we’ve had since Kiffin and Fulmer before him. He’s pulling kids nationally and regionally we haven’t seen in a great while. We’ve got more talent visiting campus than we’ve had in over a decade. Frustrating to finish second but Tennessee is finishing second to schools like Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson on some of these elite guys. Heupel needs one more successful year and I believe he can make a legit run at the #1 class in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back