Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d rather experience a road TN football game than Neyland. I’ve been to home games dozens and dozens of times and for the money I’d rather experience a road game.

Thinking of going to Pitt or LSU this year.

This is me. I’ve been to games at Neyland almost every year since 2006. Need to go to Vandy one day.

If conferences realign more, I’d love to go to a game at Va. Tech, NC St., Wake Forest, or UNC.

Exact recipe that killed NASCAR. Went to money grab and expanded into unnatural markets. Then when it crumbled, they had out priced average fans and pissed off the fans in historical markets they left. Will never recover either
agreed, but i don't think that will necessarily happen with college football, because the sport itself is still the same competitively, and it will still be played in the same locations it's always been played in...with Nascar, they changed a whole lot, not just adding markets. they left markets behind. that part, won't happen with CFB. it's not like venues are going away and there'll never been CFB in those places again.

that said, outside of the regional aspect of cfb, the most important thing CFB has always had going for it is that it's always had the most important regular season of all sports in the US. every game mattered, especially for contenders.

this kind of move...it just kind of waters everything down. what it will do is it will sacrifice games not deemed "huge", and those games will become less and less relevant, except when the upsets occur. and for the top 3-5 programs in the country, they just don't happen all that often....so what you'll wind up with is about 15-20 games a year that will "really matter", and everyone will watch. the rest....wgas. worse yet, it's just going to create more rematches in the post season, further devaluing the regular season games that were played.

for the SEC in particular, one of the the things i loved about being the SEC was that no matter who was contending or going to bowl games back in the day, it always felt like anyone from the SEC was the automatic underdog, cause we're from the south, and were more or less perceived as 'low rent', compared to programs like OSU, Mich, ND, USC, UCLA, Miami, FSU--the so called "national" programs...etc...so anytime one of our teams beat one of those teams, it brought out that regional pride southerners have always shared, regardless of your program affiliation. it's where the "it just means more" comes from.

that's gone. and it was the one thing we always had over any/all other conferences regardless of how good/dominant we were, or weren't. it's why they all hated us. the "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" mentality. we simply didn't/don't care about their version of football, our version is the only one that mattered. So what we lost to Purdue, we still be Auburn!! they don't understand that in Jersey or California or Chicago. they still don't.

so to me, i get it, i understand all the reasons why this is happening, and i can't necessarily argue with it, except to say, this just isn't what college football is..er...was...when i fell in love with it, and the reason i fell in love with college football and Tennessee had very little to do with winning championships, and it definitely didn't have anything to do with how much money was made . it's where i'm from. my family culture, in large part, is built around it. Saturdays were an event, even if we didn't go to a game. thinking about all the friends and extended family that are fans of other SEC teams...we didn't have to be no. 1 or playing a top 10 program for it to matter...i wanted to beat Miss St because my buddy down the street growing up was a huge bulldog fan, and i didn't want to hear it. i wanted to talk it. for other conferences, there's just a sense of pride in proving others wrong. Tennessee can't go to ND and beat Lou Holtz...'hold my beer'. Alabama can't beat Jimmy Johnson and Miami...anyway, you get the idea.

sorry for the TLDR post. i'll still watch every saturday, and while i really don't like the direction this is headed, it won't derail me as a fan. but it really won't 'mean more', definitely not as much as it used to. and that sucks.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d rather experience a road TN football game than Neyland. I’ve been to home games dozens and dozens of times and for the money I’d rather experience a road game.

Thinking of going to Pitt or LSU this year.
i'd always rather go to Neyland.

but i agree, i'm going to the Pitt game. and i have that LSU game circled. haven't pulled the trigger yet, but man......i'm thinking about it.

If we did scavenge the acc, this is the move

UNC,Duke, Clempson, Miami, FSU
If that earlier tweet is true, ain't nobody leaving that league for another 14 years.

Not that I've actually ran the numbers or anything, but scrolling past it...it sounded pretty sure everyone was stuck.

If we did scavenge the acc, this is the move

UNC,Duke, Clempson, Miami, FSU
I’d say go for Virginia and Virginia Tech, too.

My guess if the ACC looks like it’s gonna fold, Ga Tech, UNC, Duke, BC, and UVA head to the B1G. Clem, FSU, Miami, NC St, and Va Tech look for SEC invites. Louisville, Wake, Pitt, Syracuse... Who knows?

This is me. I’ve been to games at Neyland almost every year since 2006. Need to go to Vandy one day.

If conferences realign more, I’d love to go to a game at Va. Tech, NC St., Wake Forest, or UNC.
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Good one! Go to Vandy! Best joke of the day!

Seriously, no one needs to go to Vandy. Even their two fans hate that place.

Every added member diminishes the ability of UT to affect the decisions of the conference.
This continued expansion would inevitably lead to a resulting "NCAA Conference" and back where we started. A giant unaccountable overlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back