Quote from Sarkisian, and Heupel

There you go, Tee is just footnote status in the minds of a great many Vols fans. Nevermind his string of completions, key plays, or Gator-killing. He's of no real consequence despite any of that, and that's how it goes. Tee's play calls got the Vols into field goal range that led to our winning. But again, ignore such things, he's just a footnote of no real value. I love my Pey, but what I said about the attitude of many fans regarding Tee, is pretty much proven by your post. No knock on you personally, as you certainly aren't alone in that mental realm.

Now, let me illustrate how much I love our demigod, Peyton. In the waning minutes when his Indianapolis team won the Super Bowl, he sat on the bench with his head down and occasionally rubbing his head. I scooted forward in my seat with my palms on either side of my head. My thoughts? How I hope he isn't disappointed and robbed again after putting in so much hard work as usual. Gator escapes, the Nebraska bowl butt-kicking, the Heisman joke selection, the Patriot impediments, and now this. Like Pey, I exhale a big sigh of relief when the game finished and Peyton's Colts had indeed won the game. The man deserved a victory after so many disappointments.

All this doesn't change how very many Vols fans view Tee as barely a footnote, while Peyton is deified, despite Tee beating the Gators and bringing us a national champion trophy.
Sorry but Tee wasn’t on the same level as Peyton Manning as a QB. If people don’t know that then I guess they have never watched football. I’m not trying to take anything away from Tee because he did help win us a national championship, but let’s not act like he was and All-American QB. Tee was a good, serviceable QB and that’s as far as it should go. Go look at his career stats and compare them to Peyton’s. I’m sorry but it’s ridiculous that I’m even putting them in the same sentence.

On another note, Al Wilson was the heart and soul of those teams and everyone knows it.

Sorry but Tee wasn’t on the same level as Peyton Manning as a QB. If people don’t know that then I guess they have never watched football. I’m not trying to take anything away from Tee because he did help win us a national championship, but let’s not act like he was and All-American QB. Tee was a good, serviceable QB and that’s as far as it should go. Go look at his career stats and compare them to Peyton’s. I’m sorry but it’s ridiculous that I’m even putting them in the same sentence.
On another note, Al Wilson was the heart and soul of those teams and everyone knows it.

Maybe, just maybe (or not) you should re-read my original post on this topic. I never stated Tee was an All-American QB, or even the same level as Peyton. I said he gets bare mentioned despite his achievements, while Pey-Pey is deified. Perhaps I should state my intention in an alternate manner. Some guy (Peyton) hands you ten $100 bills. Next day, another guy (Tee) hands you a $1000 bill. You proudly preserve the hundred dollar bills beneath a vacuum sealed protective screen, and place the screen inside a platinum frame. However, you drop the thousand-dollar bill into the bottom drawer of your night stand and forget you even have it. That's the difference between how Pey-Pey and Tee-Hee are treated by many Vols fans. Now, note, I didn't say the thousand-dollar bill was a silver framed gold sheet, whereas the ten dollar bills were just paper. See? I'm saying he barely rates a footnote despite bringing us a NC, and beating the Gators to boot. You're justifying your deifying Peyton. This puts me on Vulcan, and you on Risa, totally different planets. Little wonder we're not seeing eye to eye.

Question: Are you a Vols ABD Packer fan too????

I’m not trying to take anything away from Tee because he did help win us a national championship, but let’s not act like he was and All-American QB. Tee was a good, serviceable QB and that’s as far as it should go.

That's selling him short.

Sure, he wasn't Peyton. But then, almost no one is. Heck, even Tom Brady couldn't touch Peyton, at least not in college.

But Tee was certainly more than "a good, serviceable QB." That description makes me think of decent fellas playing pretty good for NC State or Arizona.

Good, serviceable QBs don't do this, in a national championship game, against one of the best defenses in the country at the time:

Okay, Tee wasn't Peyton. But he was a heckuva lot more than "serviceable."

Go Vols!

EDIT: Hmm, not sure how the NFL has rights to a video showing highlights of the BCS championship game...but apparently they do. Sorry i can't get you that link directly, you'll have to click the "Watch on YouTube" link.

Some fun time hacks:

-- 1:09
-- 1:24
-- 2:57
-- 3:40
-- 8:23
-- 8:37
-- and so on.

What a fun night that was. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe (or not) you should re-read my original post on this topic. I never stated Tee was an All-American QB, or even the same level as Peyton. I said he gets bare mentioned despite his achievements, while Pey-Pey is deified. Perhaps I should state my intention in an alternate manner. Some guy (Peyton) hands you ten $100 bills. Next day, another guy (Tee) hands you a $1000 bill. You proudly preserve the hundred dollar bills beneath a vacuum sealed protective screen, and place the screen inside a platinum frame. However, you drop the thousand-dollar bill into the bottom drawer of your night stand and forget you even have it. That's the difference between how Pey-Pey and Tee-Hee are treated by many Vols fans. Now, note, I didn't say the thousand-dollar bill was a silver framed gold sheet, whereas the ten dollar bills were just paper. See? I'm saying he barely rates a footnote despite bringing us a NC, and beating the Gators to boot. You're justifying your deifying Peyton. This puts me on Vulcan, and you on Risa, totally different planets. Little wonder we're not seeing eye to eye.

Question: Are you a Vols ABD Packer fan too????
No I’m justifying that Peyton is one of, if not the greatest QBs of all time and Tee was just a good QB. The stats prove it. It’s not a knock on Tee because there’s very few that belong in the same breath as Peyton. If you can’t understand why people adore Peyton then idk what to tell you. Tee wasn’t even the best QB in the conference so why would people adore him like Peyton? I would place Josh Dobbs number 2 for QBs that I adore the most. Dobbs was a better overall package. But that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
That's selling him short.

Sure, he wasn't Peyton. But then, almost no one is. Heck, even Tom Brady couldn't touch Peyton, at least not in college.

But Tee was certainly more than "a good, serviceable QB." That description makes me think of decent fellas playing pretty good for NC State or Arizona.

Good, serviceable QBs don't do this, in a national championship game, against one of the best defenses in the country at the time:

Okay, Tee wasn't Peyton. But he was a heckuva lot more than "serviceable."

Go Vols!

EDIT: Hmm, not sure how the NFL has rights to a video showing highlights of the BCS championship game...but apparently they do. Sorry i can't get you that link directly, you'll have to click the "Watch on YouTube" link.

Some fun time hacks:

-- 1:09
-- 1:24
-- 2:57
-- 3:40
-- 8:23
-- 8:37
-- and so on.

What a fun night that was. Go Vols!

What was Tee’s completion percentage that season?

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
Only one person walked on water and his name was not Manning. We didn't beat Florida during Peyton's four years because the defense couldn't stop Spurrier's offense. Had very little to do with Peyton.
The defense was loaded with talent while Peyton was there but never lived up to the hype. One reason why Chavis is one of the most overrated DCs of all time

No I’m justifying that Peyton is one of, if not the greatest QBs of all time and Tee was just a good QB. The stats prove it. It’s not a knock on Tee because there’s very few that belong in the same breath as Peyton. If you can’t understand why people adore Peyton then idk what to tell you. Tee wasn’t even the best QB in the conference so why would people adore him like Peyton? I would place Josh Dobbs number 2 for QBs that I adore the most. Dobbs was a better overall package. But that’s just my opinion.

Nevermind, you and I are not really talking about the same thing.

Pey? and later Pey-pey? WTF?

WTF???? Well, there's this: U.S. Constitution Amend. I: Congress shall make no law... prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech.
Now, see here, if Congress may not have that power (in theory given the socio-political atmosphere of today), neither should you have that power.

My wife for example has a name, but I call her several things. Among them: "woman", "wife", "yak-bot", "magnificent", and sometimes, "you."

1656267090282.png

WTF???? Well, there's this: U.S. Constitution Amend. I: Congress shall make no law... prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech.
Now, see here, if Congress may not have that power (in theory given the socio-political atmosphere of today), neither should you have that power.

My wife for example has a name, but I call her several things. Among them: "woman", "wife", "yak-bot", "magnificent", and sometimes, "you."

View attachment 467341
Didn't need the first amendment explained but thanks for the explanation as to your silliness

Didn't need the first amendment explained but thanks for the explanation as to your silliness

Just having fun. Though I do know at times, and certain folks on VN don't cotton to my weird mental state. I'm "hail" bent on having fun on VN just the same, though even I have to admit, uh, well, I suppose you could say, I'm Chubby checkered.

Just having fun. Though I do know at times, and certain folks on VN don't cotton to my weird mental state. I'm "hail" bent on having fun on VN just the same, though even I have to admit, uh, well, I suppose you could say, I'm Chubby checkered.
😆

Al Wilson & the defense had more to do with “Tee” beating Fla. If the defense had held Florida to 17 pts, Peyton would have won a couple. Giving up 62 in ‘95 & 35 in the first half of ‘96 doesn’t give anyone much a chance.
TBH a missed FG followed by 3 straight fumbles in the 2nd half of '95 opened the door, & 4 ints in the 2nd half of '96 had a major contribution to that L. I'm not sure Fla wins either game without the help of our offense. Our defense wasn't great by any means in either game, but an argument can be made that our defense actually held down one of the greatest offenses in the modern era. At least until our offense became Fla's best defense with 7 turnovers over the 2 games. With that Spurrier offense they simply rode the momentum of forced turnovers to victory both years

TBH a missed FG followed by 3 straight fumbles in the 2nd half of '95 opened the door, & 4 ints in the 2nd half of '96 had a major contribution to that L. I'm not sure Fla wins either game without the help of our offense. Our defense wasn't great by any means in either game, but an argument can be made that our defense actually held down one of the greatest offenses in the modern era. At least until our offense became Fla's best defense with 7 turnovers over the 2 games. With that Spurrier offense they simply rode the momentum of forced turnovers to victory both years

I agree with this but just cause your offense turns it over doesn’t mean you can’t get a stop or hold to a FG. Fla scored on 10 straight possessions. That’s tough to do vs air.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH..........FOR SURE, WHY DIDN'T WE BEAT FLORIDA DURING PEYTON'S YEARS IF THE MANNING'S CAN WALK ON WATER..................YES I AM YELLING THIS !!!!!!
Because these last 50 odd years, no matter how good we are Florida is somehow usually a little better.

3* highlights.

5* name.

If you watched his highlights against 2A competition, you’d think he was a 3*. But, the Manning name.

texass does not develops QB’s right now. Sark in the dark will get fired in 2-3 seasons.

Should have gone somewhere else.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree with this but just cause your offense turns it over doesn’t mean you can’t get a stop or hold to a FG. Fla scored on 10 straight possessions. That’s tough to do vs air.
It's not really that hard to do when u have one of the greatest offenses in college football history. Sure I would have loved to see a couple stops but once ole uncle mo jumps on your back it's gonna be hard to keep from sliding down that hill. I get it, if it were just a regular team but Spurrier's offenses were putting up basketball numbers. Giving those particular teams multiple short fields back to back was a recipe for disaster. I don't think I have ever seen a team recover from 3 straight fumbles in a 2nd half or 4 straight int's especially if they were facing an All-time Great Offense.

Reactions: SpookyAction
It's not really that hard to do when u have one of the greatest offenses in college football history. Sure I would have loved to see a couple stops but once ole uncle mo jumps on your back it's gonna be hard to keep from sliding down that hill. I get it, if it were just a regular team but Spurrier's offenses were putting up basketball numbers. Giving those particular teams multiple short fields back to back was a recipe for disaster. I don't think I have ever seen a team recover from 3 straight fumbles in a 2nd half or 4 straight int's especially if they were facing an All-time Great Offense.
We had Peyton and some of our best teams ever and still beat ourselves. Nothing else to say. No different than so many UF games since. Our team talent rarely shows up for the UF game. No explaining it except look at the record and the bad memories. One real thing is Their coaching staffs are consistently better top to bottom. Our admin tends to bargain shop.

I’ll agree on the ‘95 game but the ‘96?game was in Knox & Fla scored on first possession on 4th down from about 40 yds out.

VN Store

Back