Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the PGAT tries to use the SA Blood money, 9/11 guilt trip but when you look at all the money the PGA/FedEx and their sponsors get from doing business in SA but then turn around and tell guys you can't do that, won't even get into the sweatshop stuff Nike does. Then you got guys like Rahm saying him and his wife talked and said if they give him $400m would his life style change and he said no...bull butter , google says his net worth is $10-13mil yeah $400mil is a lifestyle change into FU money

Call the guys independent contractors but they're not free to leave your Tour and try and make money elsewhere. We're going to ban you for life. PGA should've just said, you loose all points and status and will have to go back to Q school to get your card back but now they may have dug themselves into a corner. Player can miss the cut and actually be out of money.
PGAT is going to be forced by this to at least pay players in the field who miss the cut eventually.

Players say they want to to play on the PGAT because that's where the best is and they want to play the best. Eventually the best may be on the LIV Tour.
The LiV thing is f'n garbage. The PGA can not pay players like them...the Saudis aren't trying to make money off of this 💩, it is not true smartt investment to make returns, they are simply buying players with massive oil money to whitewash their shady 🦬💩.

I hate this stupid f'n crap. There is no way in hell that Liv ever makes money, and the Saudis don't care because it isn't about making money for them...therefore this is not a true competition, and tbe PGA has no chance if all the great players decide to sell their souls.

Who has Liv developed? How are they going to develop a star making system like the Korn Ferry tour? What good are they doing anybody besides a few sorry greedy SoBs?

I don't think it's a failure of our processes...I just don't think we are going to go to the top of the rankings like our fanbase thought we were going to, like AP said..we have no advantage now.

We have to spend, win and form relationships.

No, but many have immediately gone to the usual negative 'reasons'. NIL sweetens the pot, but it has to start with basic interest. A kid from Chicago who has been a lifelong OSU fan doesn't instantly become a Vol because somebody waves a bit of money at him, and it's dumb to think that he didn't because there's something wrong with UT. All things being (close to) equal, he's probably staying in his comfort zone, like most of us would.

Without a doubt, we'll get looks from kids we wouldn't otherwise get, which likely means we're gonna fail to get many of them. It's simple math. The quality of the NIL program can only be judged by the product on the field, not commitments in June. Keeping productive guys like Hooker and Tillman for another season is far more important than winning every battle for high school WRs who may or may not be great.

Kopeka basically just admitted he cannot get it done on the PGAT. Injuries, brainwaves, whatever. He clearly has lost what he once had.

IMO, there will be some sort of compromise on this down the road. The part I agree with the LIV golfers about is with the independent contractor status. As long as you meet minimum playing requirements on either PGA or Euro, it should not matter what you do with the rest of your time. You are not an employee. But I get if the rules require it to remain a member. I just see that being where the compromise comes.

JMO - I don't care for the format with the regular team and three day events. That's exhibition goofy golf. Four days and total dependence on self brings in stress, endurance, physical/mental conditioning, skillset. LIV might as well just let them use carts and drink beer like the average duffer does at the local club. They are going to make big money regardless of how bad they suck. For all the people who claim golfers are not athletes, they just proved your theory. It will not bring elite golf to the mix. It also undercuts the tradition of the game stretching over centuries that many have no clue about. That bugs me.

It matters not to me if FedEx goes along with anything - that's their issue to decide. I'll still accept my packages coming from FedEx. They are a nothing in my world, just like the Saudis and LIV. Don't care. I do care that the PGAT is under attack. Will see if they use it as an opportunity to redefine and improve their product or if they dilute it like the rest of the world.

To each his/her own.
You just enunciated my thoughts 100%. I wish the PGA would compromise about the Saudi money crap, I don't care about that...I do care about them destroying good tournaments that help local charities and businesses though, and ruining real golf. The format is f'n 🦬💩 goofy exhibition nonsense.

Reactions: Vols4us
the knee jerking going on about Tate is heavy on the ridiculous side.

give it a month. recruiting is like last year's bball team. November, December....not so great. by February....things changed.

i'm feeling like that about this cycle. started hot, hit a lull....and i think it will be picking back up in the not so distant future.

to get hung up on a single kid is...well, short sided. i still think this class will wind up a top 10 class when it's all said and done. maybe higher if a few things go our way, and against some of our competitors. either way, i just don't think this class is made or broken on any single player. it will be the sum of the parts, especially on defense.

anyway...in the meantime, don't feed the trolls. it's like feeding seagulls.
HyGzCcB.gif
I don't know if we will get in the top 10...I doubt it, but that's ok. I think we have coaches that can get us there eventually.

We all just wanted a shortcut, and that is understandable, we are sick of being embarrassed and want to get back to our rightful place quickly...but it has become abundantly obvious that there is not going to be any shortcut. We still have to do it the hard way.

It isn't always the $$$. Recruits, and not just the top ones, are asking for guarantees-- positions, playing time, game or event scheduling near their hometown or in preferential venues. There have always been some that made demands, but it's at a new level. Portal players are doing the same, looking to get more than they had at their previous school.

Some programs have always made promises they had no intention of keeping. Now they make guarantees beyond $$$ to land the players they want or need. UT has a solid NIL plan, but our coaches want to reward effort, they expect players to earn PT and they value the flexibility of moving players around to best use their talents and enhance their development. UT doesn't want recruits to decide who or where UT should play or to poison team chemistry. These are still team sports. Those who aren't team players are finding what they're looking for elsewhere. We're seeing that now in all the marquee sports-- even baseball.

That’s cool and all but it’s also deja vu of explaining away why the Vols always miss out on elite classes. It’s always some version of our current staff’s “moral” high road philosophy of not making promises, paying players, etc. And turns out that’s usually mainly bullsh*t considering the last staff paid everyone.

It doesn’t bother me that we recruit 10-20th every year. I just want to win games. I also just want all the excuses to go away.

“Won’t pay them”
“Won’t make promises”
“Not our culture”

How about just admitting and accepting that we won’t even have a chance for an elite class until we consistently put a better product on the field. Not that many superstar recruits gonna sign up to go play for a program that hasn’t been good their entire lives.

I don't know if we will get in the top 10...I doubt it, but that's ok. I think we have coaches that can get us there eventually.

We all just wanted a shortcut, and that is understandable, we are sick of being embarrassed and want to get back to our rightful place quickly...but it has become abundantly obvious that there is not going to be any shortcut. We still have to do it the hard way.
yeah, there's no easy button.

we all see UT for what we knew it to be (for those 40+ anyway)....and that period of time, speaking for myself mainly but i'd imagine i'm not alone, doesn't feel like it's DECADES ago. but, it is. we're a 1/4 of a century removed from the national title and 15 years since our last appearance in ATL.

we're 2 years removed from the worst season in program history. and on our 6th head coach in 14 years. we've turned over all of the leadership from the president, chancellor, AD on down more than once over the past decade.

and we've been the benefactor of some AWESOME timing with rule changes in recruiting coinciding with coaching changes etc...(early signing periods, removal of blue/grey shirts etc...). and our competition in the SEC is a lot better today than it was when we were one of the programs to beat. add to that, as the state of TN has boomed in population growth and become a transplant destination, you have a full generation of kids that have grown up in the state of TN that have grown up with TN being gawd awful, so there's a huge gap to be made up in establishing that loyalty that other programs enjoy from their in state kids.

basically we picked the absolute wrong time in the history of this program, and college football for that matter, to get so many things wrong, for as long as we have.

having said all of that, i do think we're on the right track. but like you said, there's no short cut. UT Athletics as a whole as in as good a shape as it's been in probably 30 years. all programs are competing at high levels, winning championships, conf tournaments and recruiting well.

i honestly do think it's just a matter of some time, and patience, before football is doing the same. you said it earlier...win, spend, build relationships.

That’s cool and all but it’s also deja vu of explaining away why the Vols always miss out on elite classes. It’s always some version of our current staff’s “moral” high road philosophy of not making promises, paying players, etc. And turns out that’s usually mainly bullsh*t considering the last staff paid everyone.

It doesn’t bother me that we recruit 10-20th every year. I just want to win games. I also just want all the excuses to go away.

“Won’t pay them”
“Won’t make promises”
“Not our culture”

How about just admitting and accepting that we won’t even have a chance for an elite class until we consistently put a better product on the field. Not that many superstar recruits gonna sign up to go play for a program that hasn’t been good their entire lives.
i don't think it's just that though. winning helps, no argument. but i think it has more to do with the track record of this program not being something you can't necessarily count on for anything remotely resembling consistency. new coaches every 3 years, new AD's, new presidents etc. roster attrition, draft absence.....

as many good vibes there are about UT athletics and football that do exist, there's still enough in our very recent past to have to answer for when recruiting a kid. i'm sure all of our previous coaches have pitched the same thing, and fought the same issues left by the previous regimes. CJH is no different on that front. he's got to overcome those obstacles. and it's probably harder for him, simply because he's just the "next" guy pitching 'vision' at UT--why is he different than CJP, CBJ, CDD, CLK.......?

anyway, winning always helps. winning the right games helps. seeing guys walk across draft day stages helps. tangible evidence that it is different than what all of these recruits have known Tennessee football to be during their lives.

“Won’t pay them”
“Won’t make promises”
“Not our culture”

I hate you..but I think it is just the truth.

“Won’t pay them”
“Won’t make promises”
“Not our culture”

When we go 10-2 this year we won't have anymore problems 😎

No, I thought it was because we’re not doing enough. When NIL was started we had posters suggesting a gofundme to help. It was a little jarring to hear Suckgators are beating us the day before Tate commits to OSU. I plan to later in the month when I can. I’ll be damn that we lose anytime to that team.

Has anyone confirmed the new poster’s info? Or is it accepted because of the username? 🤔

I doubt that information is available online…

There is no way. Also, Spyre needs to (promote) the membership better. Promote it at games (offer incentives to join right away). Advertise it in UT tickets…. Buy space on the stadium walls etc. promote it like crazy
I agree 100%

We might need some White Feather Girls on campus and around the stadium for Gameday weekends:
In Britain during the First World War it was often given to males out of uniform by women to shame them publicly into signing up.

Last edited:
Seems like a really stupid thing to lie about, didn't pick up attn hunting. But we've seen dumber on this board.

I also took him at face value because I come from a long line of kings in Africa, as I recently found out from some distant relatives that contacted me via email. Imagine my consternation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back