Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I don’t really believe in aliens but structures like this makes you wonder.
Makes me think that knowledge of what we know is a sliding scale. If we as a society have one aim, one collective goal we can do anything. Think about the magnitude of a build like that, with antiquated knowledge and tools. The scale of a build to carve a church out of stone. Why choose that place?

Must be a very special and sacred area. Would have taken an army of people with chisels and hammer. Only for one end, to glorify the most High. Truly amazing to think about.

No celestial entity could inspire a marvel or rival that type of human ingenuity. Aliens may exist, but, they're more concerned with sucking out brains and abducting farmers in Iowa to conduct experiments.

I don’t really believe in aliens but structures like this makes you wonder.
As vast as the universe is, it's egotistical to think that we're the only intelligent life that exists. And if your hang ups are religious based, ask yourself why God would create such a vast universe just to populate it with us, and only us? I believe somewhere out there intelligent alien life exists. I'm not sure they've ever visited the Earth, and not claiming they have, but I do believe they exist somewhere out there. There's just too much creation for us to be the only ones.

As vast as the universe is, it's egotistical to think that we're the only intelligent life that exists. And if your hang ups are religious based, ask yourself why God would create such a vast universe just to populate it with us, and only us? I believe somewhere out there intelligent alien life exists. I'm not sure they've ever visited the Earth, and not claiming they have, but I do believe they exist somewhere out there. There's just too much creation for us to be the only ones.
Well, if you’re asking for the Christian worldview, man is made in the image of God. We are more special than any other created life. We have a purpose to worship Him. He sent His son to die for us so we could spend eternity Him. So why would He need to create other beings in other galaxies? Why would He make them more intelligent? Why would we need them to come help us save the planet? Unless you’re talking about fallen angels of course. (My hang up is faith based naturally.)

Well, if you’re asking for the Christian worldview, man is made in the image of God. We are more special than any other created life. We have a purpose to worship Him. He sent His son to die for us so we could spend eternity Him. So why would He need to create other beings in other galaxies? Why would He make them more intelligent? Why would we need them to come help us save the planet? Unless you’re talking about fallen angels of course. (My hang up is faith based naturally.)
Why wouldn't God create more beings in His image elsewhere? It's not about need. God didn't "need" to create us, but He chose to. Why wouldn't He choose to create more? As for more intelligent, who said they were more intelligent? Maybe they're more advanced. Maybe they're not. That doesn't equate to intelligence. Look at our own history of advancement and you see that comes with time.

Why wouldn't God create more beings in His image elsewhere? It's not about need. God didn't "need" to create us, but He chose to. Why wouldn't He choose to create more? As for more intelligent, who said they were more intelligent? Maybe they're more advanced. Maybe they're not. That doesn't equate to intelligence. Look at our own history of advancement and you see that comes with time.

Math tells you there are likely millions of life forms on millions of planets. Some are more advanced, some are not. Some have been extinct for millions of years. One may have just started today. This world and the creatures on it are so infinitely small and insignificant in terms of the vastness of the universe.

I don't see how any of your reasoning leads to the conclusion that there's no alien life. How does our being made in the image of God preclude him from making other humans or other non humans in his image or not in his image elsewhere? How does his dying for us lead you to believe that he would be less likely to create others possibly more intelligent? To quote CS Lewis, do they not teach logic anywhere anymore?

As to the original question, God could have created such a big universe with only us in it because he wanted to show us how big he is. It's a shadow of his infinite-ness so we can get a small grasp of it.

I don't believe in life elsewhere, but when people give really porous reasons why the also believe that way, it makes my belief look ridiculous lol.

Reactions: Brillovol
Math tells you there are likely millions of life forms on millions of planets. Some are more advanced, some are not. Some have been extinct for millions of years. One may have just started today. This world and the creatures on it are so infinitely small and insignificant in terms of the vastness of the universe.
I agree. Mathematically, and scientifically, it makes sense that more life exists elsewhere in the universe. But I was trying to keep it in the context of religion since that's how SAS responded.

Reactions: bignewt
I agree. Mathematically, and scientifically, it makes sense that more life exists elsewhere in the universe. But I was trying to keep it in the context of religion since that's how SAS responded.

Understood. I'm trying to sidestep the religious view though, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Weezer
I don't see how any of your reasoning leads to the conclusion that there's no alien life. How does our being made in the image of God preclude him from making other humans or other non humans in his image or not in his image elsewhere? How does his dying for us lead you to believe that he would be less likely to create others possibly more intelligent? To quote CS Lewis, do they not teach logic anywhere anymore?

As to the original question, God could have created such a big universe with only us in it because he wanted to show us how big he is. It's a shadow of his infinite-ness so we can get a small grasp of it.

I don't believe in life elsewhere, but when people give really porous reasons why the also believe that way, it makes my belief look ridiculous lol.

I love this take. Completely disregard your own argument. Bold strategy, Cotton.

It’s almost like all that stuff is fictional, written thousands of years ago by simpletons who were only aware of what they could see around them.

Now relax! I said it’s almost like that.

Aliens exist. They’ve been visiting Earth more frequently once we started detonating nuclear weapons. We’re now on their radar.

Why do I believe this? I’ve seen the interviews with old Papaws who were eye witnesses to Roswell. Those guys are no frills, tell it like it is, and if they say we recovered a craft and they helped carry injured aliens then I believe it. Originally they were told to keep quiet or get buried in the desert. In old age they finally confirmed it all.

Reactions: hooter vol
mr-bean-rowan-atkinson-photoshop-58d8bd3a2c49b-png__880.jpg

Why would He? What would be the purpose? As far as intelligence, in case you’re unaware there are the theories that other beings seeded this planet for us to evolve from the slime. Since we are not doing as well as expected, they will return to save us. They of course are far superior. So basically they are gods and savior, and there is no need for the Father, Son (Jesus, Savior), or the Holy Spirit. The pope has said that he will baptize them, or if God revealed more knowledge to them, he will accept them into the RCC. There are plenty soft disclosures on the news now with much more planned so people are going to have to decide how to handle the information. Was just giving you the Christian world view that believes God created the heaven and earth and created man in His image and has a redemption plan for us which includes a Savior who died for us because He so loved us. I realize most people create a god in their image and will believe anything except the Bible.

Reactions: Glitch and 24/7vol
It’s almost like all that stuff is fictional, written thousands of years ago by simpletons who were only aware of what they could see around them.

Now relax! I said it’s almost like that.
I didn’t say faith was not required. But faith is also required to believe that nothing was created from nothing and…poof here we are. And only a simpleton could read the Bible and conclude it was written by simpletons when it all fits together so completely even though written by so many over so long a time. But you’re free to create your own fiction and hope you’re right. I do hope you make sure.

I didn’t say faith was not required. But faith is also required to believe that nothing was created from nothing and…poof here we are. And only a simpleton could read the Bible and conclude it was written by simpletons when it all fits together so completely even though written by so many over so long a time. But you’re free to create your own fiction and hope you’re right. I do hope you make sure.

You know that there was not even a concept of earth when the bible was written? That was before people even thought it was flat. The "world" was much smaller back then, there was no science and people needed answers. As for the bible (or whatever holy book people put all their faith into), I think people think it "fits so completely" because they have been raised to believe it. Logic and religion seldom see eye to eye but you gain comfort from it so more power to you. The "hope you make sure" thing is a little much, though.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
This could be a dumb question, but i moved to the Chattanooga area around 4 years ago. Looking for a good secluded spot in the middle of nowhere to go have fun shooting some guns and car camp without worry or hassle.

Anybody know a good area? Willing to drive a ways out.
Bakewell…between Soddy Daisy and Dayton. Texted my Mom.

You can shoot anywhere pretty much here. But there is a shooting range up on Mowbry Mtn. Jackie and Kellie have a place to target practice set up behind their house. They have 5 acres. Why?

Reactions: De La Cloobs
You know that there was not even a concept of earth when the bible was written? That was before people even thought it was flat. The "world" was much smaller back then, there was no science and people needed answers. As for the bible (or whatever holy book people put all their faith into), I think people think it "fits so completely" because they have been raised to believe it. Logic and religion seldom see eye to eye but you gain comfort from it so more power to you. The "hope you make sure" thing is a little much, though.
There’s always been science. Science hasn’t always been god though. I was raised to believe it, but I also looked at what others were teaching just like you did and drew my conclusions which really annoys some people. Yes, it is my comfort. I’m sorry the “hope you make sure” annoyed you, but if I am right in believing the Bible then there is no other way so I really do hope that my Volnation brethren are sure. I kinda like 90% of you a whole lot.

There are theological ramifications-- though they don't theologically prove that there couldn't or wouldn't be life elsewhere. And, it's not about what God COULD have done. He COULD have done lots of things that He didn't. It's about what would fit into the paradigm of His revelation to us.

In Genesis, we are told that the stars were created as signs and seasons--specifically signs to humanity. Psalms says that they glorify God to humanity. So, the revelation seriously indicates that the universe was created as a stage upon which God would display His glory to humanity--not as a huge ant farm to populate.

Scripture says that when Adam fell, ALL CREATION fell. That's the same word used for the universe that will eventually go up in fire when God is done with His ultimate redemption of HUMANITY, and He creates a new universe.

So, it's a weird concept to think that humanity sinned and lots of alien civilizations paid that price of sin and death affecting them.

Does the Bible forego the possibility of alien civilizations? No. But the logic in theo-logic makes it scripturally questionable at best.

Again... The gospel is the fullness of the theme of scripture. The Biblical revelation paints the picture of humanity being a special creation, the universe being a stage set for God to display His glory to that humanity, and His greatest glory being the revelation of His character through the gospel of Jesus Christ, who redeems humanity from our sin and rebellion.

It doesn't describe God as a disinterested scientist just trying to make variations on a theme in an infinite universe for the helluvit.

There’s always been science. Science hasn’t always been god though. I was raised to believe it, but I also looked at what others were teaching just like you did and drew my conclusions which really annoys some people. Yes, it is my comfort. I’m sorry the “hope you make sure” annoyed you, but if I am right in believing the Bible then there is no other way so I really do hope that my Volnation brethren are sure. I kinda like 90% of you a whole lot.
There has always been science...sure in a primitive way. It continues to expand and advance, unlike the Bible. Your conclusion doesn't annoy me at all but telling others their beliefs are "fiction" does. While I don't agree with your faith in not going to tell you to rethink it. We could get into the semantics of why I believe the way I do but you(nor most on here) want to hear it. The only thing I am sure of is that I don't have a clue as to the meaning of reason behind any of this thing we call existence.

Bakewell…between Soddy Daisy and Dayton. Texted my Mom.

You can shoot anywhere pretty much here. But there is a shooting range up on Mowbry Mtn. Jackie and Kellie have a place to target practice set up behind their house. They have 5 acres. Why?

Thank you

VN Store

Back