College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

@TheMookieMonster may not be that easy. As a cadet at the Air Force Academy he has been receiving a salary as if he was already commissioned.
The DOD changed the law in 2016 to recognize great athletes and allow them to pursue their athletic endeavors. When he graduates, he will be commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Air Force with a 2 year Active Duty Committment. However, the 2016 law change allows him to serve his two years in an active Reserve Unit. He will graduate with a degree (probably in Engineering) and then be assigned to a branch of the Air Force. He will have to attend some basic training courses (I assume) probably and then negotiate an assignment. The Air Force will have some say in whether going to Tennessee meets the intent of the 2016 law allowing him a waiver on his active duty committment. I did not attend the Air Force Academy but have walked the Academy Grounds and worked with several academy graduates. Hope this helps.

This only holds true if you started your 3rd year. You don’t owe the academies a penny if you leave before your 3rd year. He is a Sophomore, and my guess is since he is now seen as a Top 10 prospect he’s leaving since he doesn’t owe anything.

@TheMookieMonster may not be that easy. As a cadet at the Air Force Academy he has been receiving a salary as if he was already commissioned.
The DOD changed the law in 2016 to recognize great athletes and allow them to pursue their athletic endeavors. When he graduates, he will be commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Air Force with a 2 year Active Duty Committment. However, the 2016 law change allows him to serve his two years in an active Reserve Unit. He will graduate with a degree (probably in Engineering) and then be assigned to a branch of the Air Force. He will have to attend some basic training courses (I assume) probably and then negotiate an assignment. The Air Force will have some say in whether going to Tennessee meets the intent of the 2016 law allowing him a waiver on his active duty committment. I did not attend the Air Force Academy but have walked the Academy Grounds and worked with several academy graduates. Hope this helps.
As a sophomore, we can walk without penalty or further commitment.

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but an outfield of both Booker and Scott would worry me. That can’t be your starting outfield unless they both make drastic improvements at the plate.

Not necessarily advocating anything, just pointing out what options we have. Example: If we're facing a righty who is absolutely brutal to righty hitters, then we have some options available.

I'm not so sure they are as bad at the plate as some believe. Booker only got 15 abs in conference play, and Scott only got 29. So their numbers aren't representative of what they would be with regular abs. No one can get their mojo on when they get erratic abs. Remember Booker was thought of as a possible everyday player for this team before he got hurt last fall. Scott hit 240 in league play, with no power, but had an on base % of 420, one of the highest on the team. So these two are basically get-on base guys. We need those kind of guys, too.

Not necessarily advocating anything, just pointing out what options we have. Example: If we're facing a righty who is absolutely brutal to righty hitters, then we have some options available.

I'm not so sure they are as bad at the plate as some believe. Booker only got 15 abs in conference play, and Scott only got 29. So their numbers aren't representative of what they would be with regular abs. No one can get their mojo on when they get erratic abs. Remember Booker was thought of as a possible everyday player for this team before he got hurt last fall. Scott hit 240 in league play, with no power, but had an on base % of 420, one of the highest on the team. So these two are basically get-on base guys. We need those kind of guys, too.

Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting they don’t have a place. Booker has huge upside, the jury is still out on him. I was just saying I don’t think we can rely on those two to both be every day players.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting they don’t have a place. Booker has huge upside, the jury is still out on him. I was just saying I don’t think we can rely on those two to both be every day players.

I think Booker, if he develops to his potential, can be not only a starter, but a star. That is an if, though. Scott is what he is, but that’s enough to carve out an important role. I agree, though, both don’t need to be starting.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think Booker, if he develops to his potential, can be not only a starter, but a star. That is an if, though. Scott is what he is, but that’s enough to carve out an important role. I agree, though, both don’t need to be starting.

I was really excited about Booker coming into last season and I wasn't impressed with many of his plate appearances. He needs to be more disciplined. If he improves in that area, I agree but I can't get my hopes up until I see it. Plus the way Tony is loading up this roster, it's not easy to find a spot in this lineup.

I was really excited about Booker coming into last season and I wasn't impressed with many of his plate appearances. He needs to be more disciplined. If he improves in that area, I agree but I can't get my hopes up until I see it. Plus the way Tony is loading up this roster, it's not easy to find a spot in this lineup.

Plenty of space in the outfield so far. We likely lose all 3 starters (Seth, Beck, Gilbert), so he'll have plenty of opportunity to win a starting role. That's up to him though.

I think we may be surprised at the difference in approach we see from some guys when they’re every day players. Tends to make one more patient instead of trying to prove something every at-bat.

Every team needs an anchor defender in centerfield. Someone who can go get em - in the gaps and over the walls - and has a terrific arm. And every team needs a fourth outfielder who can also plan CF well. If Seth leaves, then Booker and Scott are strong candidates to fill those roles. Which one is which I can't guess now, but I think Kyle has the best upside. If Seth stays, Booker might transfer out, or stay and play another OF starting spot. Hard to see such a talent sitting on the bench again this season. But we'll see how it all shakes out in good time.

spot on and me too…Amazing Academy and yes I’m a biased Air Force retiree.
if he’s Civil Engineering I hope he goes to Red Horse….BAMFs

I knew Brady House was overrated! You just made me feel better about losing him to MLB...
😉
GBO!!
I know this sounds crazy but I live super close to where he played highschool and we had some similar friends and he was very very close to coming to us even with his draft level. His mom was pushing for him to come to us very very hard

we're the only team connected to him, and by all accounts it went very well

I wouldn’t be shocked if he committed tomorrow on the first day of games in Omaha. Tony had Maui commit the day of Super Regionals. This would be a way to keep our name in the conversation after being bounced.

VN Store

Back