The Golf Thread

No way we should be buying Saudi oil! We have more oil reserves in the U.S. than Saudi Arabia has. How does it make sense to import oil from the Middle East, burn fuel shipping it, and pay more for it, than if we used U.S. reserves. It's total stupidity.

View attachment 463186
We import very little oil from the Saudis and it has been that way for a long time. About 8% of the oil used in the United States comes from Saudi Arabia. Almost 2/3rds of the oil used in the United States comes from the United States, Canada, or Mexico, and most of the oil that we import comes from Canada (only about 5% of imported oil is from SA). It is a huge misconception that we get a ton of our oil from the Middle East.

Where Does America Get Oil? You May Be Surprised.

Not only is the raw amount of money the Saudis threw at these players incredible, but it is even more mind-blowing when you see how often (more like not often) they have to play. They think there is enormous value in sportswashing.

Unlike the PGA Tour there is international travel involved, but the tournaments are so few in number and spread out that the money these guys are making relative to how often they have to play is just nuts. LIV reportedly paid Phil $200m just to join the league. This year there are just 8 tournaments spread out over 5 months. The next LIV event isn't until 7/3, and the next one after that isn't until 7/31. Guaranteed money regardless of finish, $4m to the winner, and $3m to be split among the winning team.

This was incredibly well-stated
Yep. Incredibly well-done. And in his second language.

He does everything right - understands why people want to join and will not judge them, but he personally does not like the LIV format and says it isn't against the best competition. Also understands that they are joining for money, but says his lifestyle would not change one bit if he made all that money because he's already done really well.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
I'm not sure what LIV will really end up as or how long it will last, but some of the self righteousness from the PGA and PGA players criticizing LIV players is nauseating.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what LIV will really end up as or how long it will last, but some of the self righteousness from the PGA and PGA players criticizing LIV players is nauseating.
Honestly, most (all?) of the self-righteousness I've seen is from Monahan, the commissioner. He has the most to lose if LIV's succeeds.

Even some of LIV's biggest player critics, like Rory, have said they understand why guys would join LIV and does not want anybody banned. He's said he doesn't like the format and doesn't care to join it, but hasn't really seemed to judge the guys who do.

The only self righteousness I've heard is over some players who at first said they wouldn't go play LIV but then had a "Wait. You're going to pay me how much?!" moment.

If I had to guess, they'll all eventually end up playing together again with larger purses in an expanded number of WGC type events.

Watching this coverage this morning and seeing the advertisements for the USGA. If the USGA bans LIV players from future US Opens, do they risk losing memberships (annual contributions) from fans of those players?
I can't imagine that fan contributions make up a huge chunk of USGA's revenue. I also can't imagine anybody not paying for the USGA for their handicap just because they ban Dustin Johnson.

I'm sure the money mostly comes from rights fees for the US Open.

I can't imagine that fan contributions make up a huge chunk of USGA's revenue. I also can't imagine anybody not paying for the USGA for their handicap just because they ban Dustin Johnson.

I'm sure the money mostly comes from rights fees for the US Open.
I tend to agree. I do think it’s possible that some could lower their membership level to a lower contribution level. As you said though, it’s probably not a significant amount of money relatively speaking.

I tend to agree. I do think it’s possible that some could lower their membership level to a lower contribution level. As you said though, it’s probably not a significant amount of money relatively speaking.
I'm completely speculating. I'm sure if we saw how much money was running through the USGA, our eyes would bug out.

I just looked it up. In 2020, USGA had revenue of $517 million and expenses of $171 million.

. . . and it's a 501(c)3, so that's tax free money lol.

Reactions: OrangeSticks
Abraham Ancer is the latest LIV defector. Speculation that Matsuyama may announce this week as well.

I told a friend I thought Hideki would go especially after the white out incident. There will probably be many more going as well and the PGA Tour will be forced to make a business decision of their own.

VN Store

Back