National Average Price of Gasoline Hits an All-Time High

Wait for the boomers like me to start croaking, and the housing market will have plenty for sale. It would probably be a great time to be in the re-modeling business or buy stock in companies like Kohler that make toilets, sinks and faucets.

I have anecdotal info on both sides of it. Know people unwilling to pay material prices and shelving products and others just hoping they can get in a new house or remod even in the current market. Only observation I’ve made is the ones that are willing to wait are either involved in or closely to the construction industry. So they believe the bubble will pop

There is a lot of demand destruction happening as we speak due to inflated commodity markets.

If you have a time horizon in the years on a project, you definitely don’t want to be locking into contracts at the current prices. Some projects don’t even work anymore with the current price levels.

$5.299/gallon for regular unleaded and $5.799/gallon for premium today at Costco in Phoenix AZ, and Costco is WAY cheaper per gallon than regular gas stations.

not at work.

I do the Chic Fil A eye test everyday. The morning drive thru line has shrunk considerably.

The slowdown is a definite, no doubter on the way.
I wish lines at Chic-Fil-A would shorten here. They're all still ridiculously long.

The nephew in mortgage banking believes once the foreclosure process protections are gone and processing starts there will be a supply glut again. They are thinking sometime second half of this year for foreclosures picking back up

Yes, there will eventually be a huge amount of foreclosure properties available. The big problem is that these properties with be bought up cheaply for cash by large investment firms as they can out bid your normal buyers. These firms can afford to sit on these properties to protect the investment values of the properties they already own, or they can afford to list them just as high as regular listings and not worry about them selling right away. Individuals usually buy these properties and flip them quickly. I don't think we will see as many of the properties come back on the market as we normally would and this will keep the amount of "affordable homes" just as low as it is now. That doesn't help anyone but the investment firms.

Reactions: AM64
Yes, there will eventually be a huge amount of foreclosure properties available. The big problem is that these properties with be bought up cheaply for cash by large investment firms as they can out bid your normal buyers. These firms can afford to sit on these properties to protect the investment values of the properties they already own, or they can afford to list them just as high as regular listings and not worry about them selling right away. Individuals usually buy these properties and flip them quickly. I don't think we will see as many of the properties come back on the market as we normally would and this will keep the amount of "affordable homes" just as low as it is now. That doesn't help anyone but the investment firms.
Not saying you’re wrong but that’s gonna be a lot of homes. I’m sure that’s exactly what will happen in specific markets.

Reactions: AM64
The nephew in mortgage banking believes once the foreclosure process protections are gone and processing starts there will be a supply glut again. They are thinking sometime second half of this year for foreclosures picking back up
I don't think so. If you are in default on the mortgage of a house that has appreciated 20%+ in each of the last two years, you sell the property and realize a gain. You don't let it go into foreclosure. While that would still add to the supply of homes available for sale on the market, it won't be because those homes went through foreclosure.

Last edited:
I don't get the attraction to CFA. Back in the early 70's you couldn't get Coors beer east of the Mississippi and it was the most sought after beer on the eastern side of the US. After I drank one of them, I had water that tasted better.

Love the crust on their chicken.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Quick reminder to those who forget these facts. Not President nor Congress set gas prices, the private sector does. The last time oil was $120 per barrel gas prices were $3.96 per gallon. Also a fact, oil companies just reported record profits for the quarter. None of this is disputable. Now, I will watch, snickering, while everyone does a cute little dance around these facts.

Then Biden needs to shut his d&mn mouth with all his stupid rhetoric and policies. He put himself in the position of controlling gas prices when he said
“ I am going to end fossil fuel”.

VN Store

Back