NEW SEC TOURNEY INFO

Look like clear sailing after mid afternoon eastern time weather wise. 1-2 more bad batches of storms the dry air behind

Goal will be to play 3 games today to complete second round games. Then decisions need to be quickly forthcoming.

The third round games (4) will be played on Friday and 4th Round (2) elimination games and Semifinals (2) will be played Saturday
Championship game will be Sunday but if that 4th game on Saturday goes very late (likely) then some poor team will have a short turnaround. Tennessee playing in the bottom half of the bracket would likely be on of those teams if they make the semis.

My bracket guess:

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Look like clear sailing after mid afternoon eastern time weather wise. 1-2 more bad batches of storms the dry air behind

Goal will be to play 3 games today to complete second round games. Then decisions need to be quickly forthcoming.

The third round games (4) will be played on Friday and 4th Round (2) elimination games and Semifinals (2) will be played Saturday
Championship game will be Sunday but if that 4th game on Saturday goes very late (likely) then some poor team will have a short turnaround. Tennessee playing in the bottom half of the bracket would likely be on of those teams if they make the semis.

My bracket guess:

And you will note, the fact the SEC rushed the Alabama/Arkansas game to be played yesterday, gives both teams a day off between games.
Sure the teams today got an extra day off to offset that somewhat

We’re complaining because a contingency plan should’ve been in place and it appears it wasn’t. This has been the forecast for well over a week for all of Alabama so you know the potential for rain, and a lot of it, was high. The meteorologist are wrong a lot of times but they would’ve had to whiff badly on this week for there to not be some modifications to the formatting made; even if they were 25% right it was going to mess this thing up big time. Sankey and the league aren’t looking out for their teams (especially their bread-winners) with their plans now. Having your title favorite potentially play double headers a week before regionals is asinine. Not to mention any other regional teams in the same predicament.
And 3 years ago if Tennessee was on the other side needing as many games as possible to get in and the conference went with the contingency plan days before and got left out of the NCAA because they didn't get the chance to play their way in, you'd be complaining about jumping the gun.

I bet- given a choice. LSU and Kentucky would rather play this afternoon or early evening at another park than potentially start a game at 11pm.

IF they could move that single game to another park (Regions, UAB, Rickwood, some high school) that would really take the stress off the schedule.

Why complain about all these contingencies, really who cares who we play. No 1 just worry about us and win the games in front of us one game at a time. Could care less who gets the benefit of the rain because it is quite obvious as it always is.

Gilbert's quote regarding the "Foot on the Throat" rings clear here....We got the capability to do so, So lets just "Do It" and to heck with the other teams....

IOW quite following Rabbits down the hole. Some look at the sand trap in front of the green vs the hole sitting on the green. Difference between winners and losers

Any event that involved competition where the results of said competitions affect someone other than yourself? A big difference in tournaments like this and a company cookout.

Agree there's a difference and yes I have been involved in planning events where competition was involved. Couple of All Navy events work for you?

Admittedly, I have been involved in the planning of more than 1 or 2 ship wide picnics but I was also deeply involved in planning/execution of the commissioning ceremony for the USS Ronald Reagan in 2003. In all cases we had a plan b which EVERYONE knew. Can't say the same here for the SEC.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Agree there's a difference and yes I have been involved in planning events where competition was involved. Couple of All Navy events work for you?

Admittedly, I have been involved in the planning of more than 1 or 2 ship wide picnics but I was also deeply involved in planning/execution of the commissioning ceremony for the USS Ronald Reagan in 2003. In all cases we had a plan b which EVERYONE knew. Can't say the same here for the SEC.
Sounds like all of which involve the same number of people doing a modified version of the original plan. All of these proposed "contingency plans" that people are throwing around require multiple fields to be prepped which involves 2-3 additional field crews, 2-3 additional umpire crews, 2-3 additional stadium crews. Good luck trying to have those 2-3 crews sitting around on a holiday weekend not getting paid on the off chance there's a weather front unlike any that's been seen in the last 5+ years of the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: greasemachine

Difference between Military and Civilian Planning.
Funny to note in 1988, I planned Jimmy Carter's Funeral with 3 contingency Plans. He is still alive and I can't image how many changes have been made all with contingency Plans....LOL.
Yet the SEC can't do it....

I was deeply involved in the planning of an event involving sororities throwing water balloons at each other to raise money for charity.

By deeply involved, I mean I drank a lot of cheap domestic light beer and watched it.

The only contingency was what if we ran out of beer or water balloons.

All of which involve the same number of people doing a modified version of the original plan. All of these proposed "contingency plans" that people are throwing around require multiple fields to be prepped which involves 2-3 additional field crews, 2-3 additional umpire crews, 2-3 additional stadium crews. Good luck trying to have those 2-3 crews sitting around on a holiday weekend not getting paid on the off chance there's a weather front unlike any that's been seen in the last 5+ years of the tournament.

There is a way to avoid having all these proposed "contingency plans" pitched around and that's for the SEC to have a published policy for tournament play and have a plan b. If you can develop a plan for regular season then they can do it for tournament play.

Because they don't have these things in place, they should be communicating more but they aren't. Tweets won't do. A tweet saying a game will start at 10:30am when it's clear to anyone looking at the forecast that it won't happen makes many think they don't have a clue.

Reactions: YNWAvols
Difference between Military and Civilian Planning.
Funny to note in 1988, I planned Jimmy Carter's Funeral with 3 contingency Plans. He is still alive and I can't image how many changes have been made all with contingency Plans....LOL.
Yet the SEC can't do it....

Yep. The seven Ps work.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
There is a way to avoid having all these proposed "contingency plans" pitched around and that's for the SEC to have a published policy for tournament play and have a plan b. If you can develop a plan for regular season then they can do it for tournament play.

Because they don't have these things in place, they should be communicating more but they aren't. Tweets won't do. A tweet saying a game will start at 10:30am when it's clear to anyone looking at the forecast that it won't happen makes many think they don't have a clue.
Because they can always start later, but they can't start it early. That's why, and I've said that before. That's why the times for the 2nd games are closer to game 1, just in case Game 1 gets over quick. If Game 1 was a 7-inning run rule and down in an hour 45, they can't bump it up from the 3.5 hour if they said that. That's why there's TBD and everything. And honestly, the communication to the common fan for a message board is low on their priority.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not sure is accurate, but this was posted by senior writer from tiger bait

So according to this maybe 6 pm eastern?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

They had a plan B. Do everything you can to help Bama.

Because they can always start later, but they can't start it early. That's why, and I've said that before. That's why the times for the 2nd games are closer to game 1, just in case Game 1 gets over quick. If Game 1 was a 7-inning run rule and down in an hour 45, they can't bump it up from the 3.5 hour if they said that. That's why there's TBD and everything. And honestly, the communication to the common fan for a message board is low on their priority.

You and the SEC should never forget that if it weren't for that "common fan" there wouldn't be a SEC.

Didn't need an explanation on TBD. Clearly you're missing my point. But hey if you're OK with how things being handled then OK. I"ll side with those that are frustrated with the SEC.

VN Store

Back