New NIL Rules

It honestly doesn’t matter. In a unanimous Supreme Court decision these players have the right to earn as much as possible. Just like everyone else.

If they try, the die. Losing a court case by opposing or restricting NIL could start the move away from the NCAA.
That wasn't the holding of Alston though, it dealt only with educational benefits.

NCAA says Boosters can't participate in NIL.

Also NCAA, anyone who has attended a NCAA Sporting event is considered a Booster!

I think they’re trying to say kids getting NIL deals after already at a school is ok, but signing NIL deals prior to joining the school is not ok. So, yeah, just keep your mouths shut like the good ole days

Schools to the NCAA when reading this...

View attachment 454063
Schools were the ones that came up with the guidelines.

The NCAA's Division I Board of Directors published new guidelines Monday to clarify that boosters -- including recently created companies designed to provide athletes at a particular school with endorsement deals -- should not have any contact with prospective college athletes, their family members or their representatives.

The guidelines were crafted by a working group of athletic directors and conference commissioners who were tasked earlier this year with reviewing the evolving marketplace for college athletes.
NCAA issues 'reasonable' NIL booster guidelines

That wasn't the holding of Alston though, it dealt only with educational benefits.

The written opinions of Gorsach and Kavanaugh basically said when the next lawsuit arrives regarding pay, the NCAA is losing it too. There is an NiL case proceeding through the courts now. Expect the NCAA to lose at every stop. Especially since states have passed laws legalizing it.

The written opinions of Gorsach and Kavanaugh basically said when the next lawsuit arrives regarding pay, the NCAA is losing it too. There is an NiL case proceeding through the courts now. Expect the NCAA to lose at every stop. Especially since states have passed laws legalizing it.
Here are some links to the Opinion of the Court (Gorsuch and all the other 8 justices together) and Kavanaugh's concurrence (i.e. the opinion of 1 justice, Brett Kavanaugh). As the Opinion of the Court confirms the Antitrust law prohibits only "unreasonable" restraints on trade, not "any" restraints on trade at all. The Supreme Court (the Gorsuch opinion) also agreed with the NCAA that they didn't even have to use the "least restrictive means" to achieve their "legitimate business purposes" so clearly there is some level of regulation which would past muster. The NCAA can't ban compensation anymore but they can implement reasonable restraints, what those reasonable restraints are will be decided by future court cases or federal legislation. The NCAA and the conferences aren't just going to give up and let anarchy reign, that's certainly not how the NFL operates.

FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.

Last edited:
Again they should stop worrying about NIL. EVerybody knows players at these top schools have been getting paid with money and or other benefits.
It's just out in the open. Student Athlete and Amateur status is a thing of the past, these top schools has Pro players on them. The schools are making millions of these players but oh no, can't have them making their money legit and out in the open.
Everybody knows D1 college football is nothing more than a farm team for the NFL in which the NFL doesn't have to provide money to run.

I know the NCAA used to look at a scholarship player as a person that the school paid to take care of all their housing and educational needs ok I get that but how does that work with a player that pays his own way?

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Here are some links to the Opinion of the Court (Gorsuch and all the other 8 justices together) and Kavanaugh's concurrence (i.e. the opinion of 1 justice, Brett Kavanaugh). As the Opinion of the Court confirms the Antitrust law prohibits only "unreasonable" restraints on trade, not "any" restraints on trade at law. The Supreme Court (the Gorsuch opinion) also agreed with the NCAA that they didn't even have to use the "least restrictive means" to achieve their "legitimate business purposes" so clearly there is some level of regulation which would past muster. The NCAA can't ban compensation anymore but they can implement reasonable restraints, what those reasonable restraints are will be decided by future court cases or federal legislation. The NCAA and the conferences aren't just going to give up and let anarchy reign, that's certainly not how the NFL operates.

FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.
The NFL doesn't let anarchy reign because players are employees and their are contracts.
Something will change and I don't think NCAA or schools are going to like it where it winds up

Also think eventually certain players will have their education paid for by the collective and not the school scholarship funds.

I wonder how these new NCAA Guidelines will go against Tennessee and other states new NIL Legislation?🤔

Schools like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson etc . that suddenly found themselves falling behind in the new NIL world after years of paying players the old fashion way.
Not really though, UGA is still ahead of us this year in the recruiting rankings and in average per recruit. All 3 are ahead of us in average per recruit which is at worst a co-equal determinate of how you are doing in May of the recruiting cycle along with rank. Alot of those schools haven't thrown in completely on NIL yet because they have other stuff to sell like wins, championships, consistent draft performance, etc. and they probably aren't convinced the wild west will continue indefinitely and don't want to expose their booster networks. The schools going all in right now are the ones whose fanbases have a high desire to win and are starved for recent success (Miami, Southern Cal, us, etc.). Once everybody goes all-in and some of this goes against us some of y'all will be screaming for regulation, just like you were a few weeks ago before we got Nico and y'all thought we were "behind in NIL". There needs to be some regulation, perpetual free agency and unregulated NIL is going to kill the game.

Not really though, UGA is still ahead of us this year in the recruiting rankings and in average per recruit. All 3 are ahead of us in average per recruit which is at worst a co-equal determinate of how you are doing in May of the recruiting cycle along with rank. Alot of those schools haven't thrown in completely on NIL yet because they have other stuff to sell like wins, championships, consistent draft performance, etc. and they probably aren't convinced the wild west will continue indefinitely and don't want to expose their booster networks. The schools going all in right now are the ones whose fanbases have a high desire to win and are starved for recent success (Miami, Southern Cal, us, etc.). Once everybody goes all-in and some of this goes against us some of y'all will be screaming for regulation, just like you were a few weeks ago before we got Nico and y'all thought we were "behind in NIL". There needs to be some regulation, perpetual free agency and unregulated NIL is going to kill the game.

Yep, people are going to Get gun shy when it comes to giving money for nil deals if they get screwed over by a player.

I'm lmao at people who somehow thought this was a good idea and it would self manage itself with no guidelines or limits.
No one thought it would manage itself. How the hell do you limit an individual’s earning potential legally? There are several areas the NCAA can address and improve the game, controlling the NIL isn’t really something they can do.

NCAA will do what Bammers request. Bammer Government is involved in the Tide program. They don't like what schools are doing so they want to restrict NIL and now have the NCAA trying to enact if. NCAA knows Bammer Government will go after and shut them down if they don't comply. But the "retroactivation" aspect is the dumbest part of that entire tweet.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are working to get Nico ruled ineligible.

NCAA will do what Bammers request. Bammer Government is involved in the Tide program. They don't like what schools are doing so they want to restrict NIL and now have the NCAA trying to enact if. NCAA knows Bammer Government will go after and shut them down if they don't comply. But the "retroactivation" aspect is the dumbest part of that entire tweet.

Ncaa is dead as soon as this goes back to court and it will go back to court. The NCAA definition of boosters being loosely applied to whoever and whatever they want will bite them in the ass the next time this goes to court.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

Hello lawsuits...and hello we want to be seen as employees lawsuit.
Nico actually IMO has earning potential off his NIL. If he was already signed. Someone should be selling Orange pajamas with his face wearing those shades..
Think they're already going to have issues trying to retro their "new" rules for NIL

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Other than donations to Spyre and memorabilia, what are the high profile NIL deals that Volnation can support to give “legit” businesses a return on their investment?

Saban simply wants to retain the edge he has on some schools. Let’s be honest here most programs were cheating in some capacity especially in our conference; Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc all of those schools have paid players or given illegal benefits to conduce players to come to their school. Bama has just been better at it than most.

The portal and NIL have dynamically changed the rules and if you’re the best coach in the country with the old rules you for sure don’t want them to change.

Bama has paid more than other schools cause Saban’s buddy (Emmert) looked the other way. I wouldn’t say Saban is a better recruiter. Just paid more. Pruitt was paying $500.00 from his own pocket. Saban and Smart were paying pre NIL $150,000 and furnishing cars for five stars according to Rush Propst. You can argue that Propst is not credible but he said that in a private discussion that was recorded. So I believe him.

Bama has paid more than other schools cause Saban’s buddy (Emmert) looked the other way. I wouldn’t say Saban is a better recruiter. Just paid more. Pruitt was paying $500.00 from his own pocket. Saban and Smart were paying pre NIL $150,000 and furnishing cars for five stars according to Rush Propst. You can argue that Propst is not credible but he said that in a private discussion that was recorded. So I believe him.
How can you not say Saban is a better recruiter? Cheater=Recruiter these days at major programs period.

Reactions: tnutater

VN Store

Back