Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCAA is drowning in the ocean and flailing and grasping for anything that they think could be a flotation device. Their issue is that nothing they grab is going to keep them afloat. The landscape has permanently changed.

Obviously the following example does not extend to the atrocities that often accompany a communist government. But the reality is that the NCAA and major university administrations have been able to control HUGE bundles of cash that did not have to be paid to the people that were largely responsible for generating that cash. The result, like a communist government, is the lining of pockets of a small minority of people. It was always a jacked-up system that was tolerated because of the educational aspect of the system. And that is a good, noble piece of the puzzle. But it was always a non-market functioning system, like a command economy. The communist government (i.e.NCAA) knows they have lost that control on the system and are going to go down swinging.

There are issues either way college athletics function, from a monetary perspective. But a system that rewards the people generating the money is always better than a system that exploits those people and lines the pockets of the few.

Reactions: DarthVol1
And the best thing that’s coming from all of this… THE SLEEPING GIANT OF TENNESSEE HAS BEEN AWAKENED!!! It started with having a president that gives 2 cents about our athletics, and hiring a legit AD who knows exactly what he’s doing and how to make the programs elite. Then, he hired the right guy that he knew was capable to lead the Big Orange back to its rightful place amongst the elite. The NIL and Spyre are expediting the process, and putting nails in everyone else’s coffins! Only one thing left to do…

LETTUCE GO!
WGWTFA!

For a long time, Georgia was labelled an underperformer, purportedly due to poor coaching. Smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting region of the country, but suffering from the longest championship drought among SEC big 6 teams. Then they get a new coach and finally win one in his 6th season, after coming close in his 2nd season.

I know it's not an idea that will receive support on this board, but I'm skeptical that Kirby Smart in the early years of his first head coaching job became one of the godfathers of college football and suddenly UGA was permitted to cheat with impunity, above and beyond its rivals. I think he's a good program CEO and a good defensive mind, made some good hires, and created a buzz that helped UGA's normally good recruiting get even better. Sort of what Josh Heupel is trying to do right now and its a reasonable path for a program to rise above their recent history to win a championship.
Except Kirby knows where all the bodies are buried for Saban and Alabama, so he had leverage to get the NCAA to leave him alone. That’s how he made it happen.

My little girl can always say she was born a Vol. 3 days old and she's already orange!

Jokes aside she'll be fine. Just slightly jaundice but getting better. Hasn't had to have treatment yet.
My now 6 week old son had to lay on the take home bilirubin light blanket for 24 hours. Numbers went down and everything is good now. Doc said Jaundice is the easiest thing to treat in medicine

For a long time, Georgia was labelled an underperformer, purportedly due to poor coaching. Smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting region of the country, but suffering from the longest championship drought among SEC big 6 teams. Then they get a new coach and finally win one in his 6th season, after coming close in his 2nd season.

I know it's not an idea that will receive support on this board, but I'm skeptical that Kirby Smart in the early years of his first head coaching job became one of the godfathers of college football and suddenly UGA was permitted to cheat with impunity, above and beyond its rivals. I think he's a good program CEO and a good defensive mind, made some good hires, and created a buzz that helped UGA's normally good recruiting get even better. Sort of what Josh Heupel is trying to do right now and its a reasonable path for a program to rise above their recent history to win a championship.

Straight from the source 🤡 🤡

My little girl can always say she was born a Vol. 3 days old and she's already orange!

Jokes aside she'll be fine. Just slightly jaundice but getting better. Hasn't had to have treatment yet.

One of our girls was jaundice when she was born too. If she is improving there isn't really much to worry about. Glad to hear she is doing well.

You're fairly reasonable at times - this is not one of them.

The “booster backed collective” language is what’s giving me solace currently. I think this is more about going after collectives like what Miami has that is essentially only John Ruiz paying the players.
Listening to the radio the other day on the way home from work, they were saying Ruiz says his deals are ironclad legal and he has gone into meticulous detail to make sure of that. Basically daring the NCAA to come after him. Said his contracts do not mention UM, players have no contractual obligation to UM, and if they leave UM they are still under contract and he pays them.

I'd bet most people getting involved in this are going to the same length.

Aren't these really the same thing as endorsement deals like pro players sign? I don't see how the NCAA would have any legal standing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthVol1
Most of this is boosters calling kids to get them in portal or induce HS kids…IMO, no booster from TN is doing deals or calling kids. The Nico news is a bullseye just because it’s glaring but most of Dellenger’s stuff is more about the Ruiz (Miami) type donors of the collective game. Spyre isn’t owned or run by a booster. It’s a couple of guys who have worked in the agent and marketing world who have handled contracts and athletes in the NFL, NBA, PGA Tour and more.
-AP

And besides, the real problem is schools pulling BS like USC did with the Pitt WR. They used NIL to get him to transfer. That should be tampering, and it should be illegal. We'll see what comes of it. But I don't see any way the NCAA could legitimately target us as everything Spyre did was legal. Rules have changed. There was an NCAA rule that players couldn't be paid. Yet now they can. They can't punish a school and not expect a lawsuit, and the law is on the side of the schools. NCAA cannot win this.
The entire problem is the NCAA doesn’t have enough resources to quickly investigate and make a decision. How many 3-4 year decisions do we have to see before folks realize without changes in the governing body it cannot survive the way it operates now. It is inept 6 ways to Sunday. They should be embarrassed. The NCAA has only itself to blame for all this mess, they need to address their own problems before trying to regulate college football. Biting off more than they can chew is what got them here. That and being greedy, along with huge bias among the governing body. Folks tired of seeing a few get away with everything and nothing but blind eyes by the NCAA. They are the first that need a overhaul, but if they try to come after folks that are using collectives it will blow up in their face. They had ample time to come up with something and never did jack squat, power universities need to demand a better governing body that doesn’t load up a million silly rules and makes rules with clarity and are investigated fairly. And penalties against individuals responsible and not leave a university under a cloud for 3-4 years without a ruling. And the folks responsible are long gone somewhere else. Our governing body is in fantasy land somewhere. GBO

Reactions: Brillovol
Wanting retroactive penalties for actions before a rule even existed are gonna be impossible for the ncaa to win when a school really fights back which they will.
If they try that crap it only shows how inept they are. It happened because the Supreme Court said 9-0 that the NCAA was basically inept. Maybe they want to get annihilated in court and put out of their misery. We need a governing body that works the same for everyone that rules apply to everyone. And a body that makes common sense rules and doesn’t try to regulate everything under the sun and which they can’t control or investigate properly. The NCAA as it is now is not capable of running college football much less all sports in the NCAA. Major college football has plenty enough money to have their own governing body. The NCAA needs a overhaul before it tries to do anything.

I'll give Kirby credit in that he was able to take the Bama model of cheating and find the boosters at UGA who could make it work. Pruitt couldn't do it here. He was inept. But Kirby pulled it off. Truthfully, Pruitt getting busted just reaffirmed my belief that that was what was happening. Coaches go to Bama and learn the system, then implement it themselves (or try) when they get a HC gig.

Kudos to Kirby for having the savvy to pull it off.

I'll give Kirby credit in that he was able to take the Bama model of cheating and find the boosters at UGA who could make it work. Pruitt couldn't do it here. He was inept. But Kirby pulled it off. Truthfully, Pruitt getting busted just reaffirmed my belief that that was what was happening. Coaches go to Bama and learn the system, then implement it themselves (or try) when they get a HC gig.

Kudos to Kirby for having the savvy to pull it off.
You have to get the whole city bought in to winning at all costs like they did in t town and athens. KPD, boosters and the Knoxville media haven’t been on board for a long time

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back