Good take on our chances of winning a NC again

NC?
Who wants to win a North Carolina?
The Tarholes can keep it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
I really like Josh Pate. He does some good analysis. He makes some good points in this video about Arkansas and Tennessee. I think he is spot on about TN.

Boy, he nailed us, spot on. Big if here, but if we can get a little better at linebacker, we got a chance to make some serious noise this next season. I think we'll be fine at DL and the secondary.

What was it....50 years between our last 2 titles? I'm not gonna live to see another. I'll cherish '98 and consider myself fortunate.
Actually, 47. Unless you count the 1967 claim (I don't, either). So 47 years.

But going off a single data point is misleading.

It was only a single year between championships in 1950 and 1951. But you're not claiming we're 23 years overdue, I've noticed. That would make just as little sense as thinking 1951-1998 dictates when we should win the next one.

National (and conference) titles tend to come in patches. You find the right coach, and BOOM, good things seem to start happening over and over. This is just common sense.

So if you wish, go ahead and assume you'll not live to see another. I will make no such assumption.

Here's hoping Josh Heupel is our next championship-winning head coach.

Go Vols!

What was it....50 years between our last 2 titles? I'm not gonna live to see another. I'll cherish '98 and consider myself fortunate.

I always said I would be happy if I could experience it just once in my lifetime. Until '98, it always seemed so unlikely. Everything has to come together. You have to have a lot of talent and a lot of luck. But we did it once and we've suffered through a lot of awful times since. We've paid our dues as fans. There's a whole new generation that doesn't remember the last time. I'm still holding out hope that we will get back on top again.

It was only a single year between championships in 1950 and 1951. But you're not claiming we're 23 years overdue, I've noticed. That would make just as little sense as thinking 1951-1998 dictates when we should win the next one.

National (and conference) titles tend to come in patches. You find the right coach, and BOOM, good things seem to start happening over and over. This is just common sense.

So if you wish, go ahead and assume you'll not live to see another. I will make no such assumption.

Go Vols!

Ditto.............well stated!

Yeah that's the biggest question mark.. The defense can't give up 48 points to teams like Purdue and be taken seriously as NC contender. Defense still wins Championships. Offense sells tickets.

The losing team (the LOSING team) scored 40 points in the title game of the 2015 season. The following year, the losing team scored 31.

More often than not, the losing team scores 23 or more points in the championship game of the CFP. This is over its eight-year history. Not once has the CFP national champ held the loser to single digits.

If that tired old saying was ever true, it is no longer.*

Football teams win championships. Not defenses.

* note: you may be remembering back to that epic 9-6 defensive battle between LSU and Bama back in 2011. That was truly a case of the defenses dominating. But that wasn't a championship game; it was just a regular season match that happened to be all about defense. It happens sometimes, though not often in this era.

Or you may be thinking of 2021 UGa, which, granted, was a superlative defensive team for the modern era. And yet they still gave up double digits in seven different matches over the season, including giving Bama 41 points in the SEC title game. Which makes the point as good as it can be made, since the BEST defense we've seen in a decade or more still gave up plenty of points over the season, and needed a good offense as well to secure the national title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr and USMC-TNVOL

Go Vols!
Well, my first UT game was in '65. At my age, the window of opportunity is small and getting smaller by the day. From a youthful perspective, things look far different than they do at my point in life.

Reactions: vol94
Well, my first UT game was in '65. At my age, the window of opportunity is small and getting smaller by the day. From a youthful perspective, things look far different than they do at my point in life.
We're probably about the same age, brother. Within a decade, anyway. [but I _am_ planning on living to 100+, heh]

Reactions: vol94
We're probably about the same age, brother. Within a decade, anyway. [but I _am_ planning on living to 100+, heh]
I was hoping for the 80's but life tends to toss a curveball or three at some folks. It is what it is. Hope Heupel turns this thing around sooner rather than later.

I’m 50 yrs old so I understand where your are coming from. I recall thinking in 2003 that I would take my son to SEC championship games, bowl games and title games. I never dreamt that UT would be irrelevant for 21 yrs, 2001. My son is now a 19yr old freshman @ UT. The best team we’ve had record wise was 2016.

The Vols were preseason #5 in 2005 but ended below 500. 2007 was a decent yr as we backed into the SEC title game but lost to Miles’ LSU team.

There are too many holes in this roster but hopefully we can make some noise w/in the next 4 yrs.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I’m 50 yrs old so I understand where your are coming from. I recall thinking in 2003 that I would take my son to SEC championship games, bowl games and title games. I never dreamt that UT would be irrelevant for 21 yrs, 2001. My son is now a 19yr old freshman @ UT. The best team we’ve had record wise was 2016.

The Vols were preseason #5 in 2005 but ended below 500. 2007 was a decent yr as we backed into the SEC title game but lost to Miles’ LSU team.

There are too many holes in this roster but hopefully we can make some noise w/in the next 4 yrs.
Graduated in '94 as well. Had no idea after the '90's it would be like this for the last 20 years.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Graduated in '94 as well. Had no idea after the '90's it would be like this for the last 20 years.[/QUOTE

I transferred to UT in 92 @ 21 yrs old and didn’t know anyone. I lived @ Andy Holt apts, went through rush and pledged a fraternity. I enjoyed my 2.6 yrs there and took the football success for granted.

When your university starts hiring morons to run the show time after time after time? It is pretty easy to understand why the last 20 years have been what they are.
There have been some questioning hires but the idiotic contracts that have accompanied those hires AND the contract given to Fulmer after the '07 season are equally bad, IMO.

Reactions: Frozevol
His video on who has the best chance to upset Alabama this year was interesting too. Spoiler: TN.[/QUOTE

I think the Alabama game will start slow then end up as a shootout.

We have GOT to take care of business with the likes of Pitt, UF, SC and Kentucky though. All of those games have the potential to be shootouts.

When your university starts hiring morons to run the show time after time after time? It is pretty easy to understand why the last 20 years have been what they are.

Just looking at the coaches we hired since Fulmer is enough to make you want to throw up. The thing that baffles me the most is this. I have seen some on here state that (at the time) Kiffin was the hottest name on the coaching landscape. I cannot understand how. How can a guy whom never coached a down in CF and was a loser in the NFL the hottest name??? I call BS. Then after hiring one loser the AD turns around and hires another loser.

VN Store

Back