NCAA trying to come down on NIL and collectives

I still predict that the move they will make is to welcome the collectives to establish FMV and make deals and pay the kids. But they will have to report the income. They can pay the kid whatever they want, they just will not be able to be assured where the kid will have to play. Each school will have NIL limits, just like schollie limits, and PWO limits, and on field coach limits. Probably a two tier system, one for kids earning under X and one for kids earning over X. The former for the burger, chicken wing, and appearance level players and the latter for the big money kids. Keeping the portal will be the key to making this work. Once a school reaches the limits in either pool, players simply will not be eligible to participate and kids may have to transfer to keep their deserved NIL money AND play. Just forces a distribution of talent just like limiting counters does. Can't allow a school to accept a kid not reporting his earnings and committing a felony. Collectives can pay as many kids as they want and as much as the want, but they may have to play at multiple institutions, whether the money is from A booster or a bunch of rank and file boosters. Providing them the freedom to transfer will be key and that genie was not going back in the bottle anyway. Wonder how many kids Sprye will pay to not play or play at other schools. Great commercials though. Problem solved. No limits on kids earning capability and plenty of places to play or they get to be high paid practice players at the school of their choice. Woe be to the school that tries to pull his schollie just because they accepted to many big market kids. They can sit out a year on schollie and with the pay check just like they USED to when they transferred till there is room under the cap. if they choose. Numbers can reset after each semester I guess.
Yeah…this gobbledygook won’t hunt. Background noise pollution

... is like taking cyanide to cure a headache.
Government bureaucracies can be counted on to do just that. We are currently living through a prime example......

The heads of our beloved NCAA signed a death warrant for college sports when they permitted NIL. Just a matter of time before greed and stupidity overtake college sports - which was the last bastion of true sports on the planet.
RIP NCAA

They already have this now. This is what has caused the wild west feel.
Yeah I didn't realize this was already the policy for the transfer portal. That's good! However I still think it needs to be modified further. Like others suggested, the window for players to be able to enter the portal should be tighter and more concise. Someone suggested the timeline should start the day after national signing day and end in May after everyone has gone through spring practice. That's a good time period, as it gives players a good idea of their status on the roster and if transferring is a good option for them. But the one that absolutely NEEDS to change is this "I'm taking my ball and going home" bull$hit where players quit on their teams mid season! That crap needs to end, like yesterday! The transfer portal doesn't need to be a tool that players use to quit on their teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Reactions: TheVolsFrog
They didn't set at min/max on the NIL deals so it is all on them for the non control.
Problem is, how do you tell player they're not worth X when a company is willing to pay them X.
With that said as far as NIL. I have a hard time believing some of the players could generate enough revenue for a company. The QB's since they're the face of the team and especially if they're playing for a big time school probably help generate sales. Players like Nico who have that swag and personality I can see a way to market him. Arch will be worth millions because of his name and opportunities to do commercials with his uncles

Really when I thought of NIL it was a way for a player to get paid something for autographs, appearances and maybe paid if they were in a video game, while not losing their scholarship and not a way for schools to buy players. I may have to come back and reword this, probably not expressing my thoughts clearly, but hey it's still early 😁

Exactly - not going to happen.

More likely outcome in a few years is the spin-off of Football and Men's Basketball as semi-pro leagues with franchise-license agreements with their respective universities - salary caps, tampering rules, minimum year contracts, etc.
Exactly my thoughts...Those two will definitely spin off from the NCAA and their team will be associated with a school and paying them a license agreement for name and image.
The spin off league will still have the players enrolled in their teams school

Exactly - not going to happen.

More likely outcome in a few years is the spin-off of Football and Men's Basketball as semi-pro leagues with franchise-license agreements with their respective universities - salary caps, tampering rules, minimum year contracts, etc.
So you mean they just give a Pro league name to what were have now.

Exactly my thoughts...Those two will definitely spin off from the NCAA and their team will be associated with a school and paying them a license agreement for name and image.
The spin off league will still have the players enrolled in their teams school

IMO there is really no way to bring NIL "In-House" due to Title 9 - most on this board understand the reasons.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Can’t have Tennessee winning again. Saban getting the SEC commissioner involved because he sees his under the table advantages diminishing with the NIL deals. Can’t have a level, fair playing surface.

And BTW, it is not like legislation can fix this. Hasn’t the Supreme Court already made a decision on this and the players can receive this? Seems like trying to artificially limit NIL deals is anti-capitalism as it should be based on “what the market will pay”. Who would like the US legislature to decide what YOU are worth according to their opinions?

SEC commissioner worried about "student athletes" becoming employees.... what a joke. They let genie out of the bottle and want him back in.

SEC commissioner worried about "student athletes" becoming employees.... what a joke. They let genie out of the bottle and want him back in.
They don’t want them seen as employees because then they have to give them full benefits like pensions, health insurance including for dependents, etc.. that other university employees get. Big expenses straight from the “bottom line”.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
So, they didn't set any rules or file some type of lawsuit to kick the can down the road to put rules and guidelines in place? But, they are doing this now and making them retroactive? Okay........

Reactions: Volanooga2521
The NCAA is a joke. They've got zero chance with this tactic. The courts will bend 'em over if they push this and the NCAA knows it. Not sure why we don't just eliminate the NCAA completely and be done with it. They're nothing more than a piece gum on your shoe these days.

Reactions: Volanooga2521
'We're going to legalize NIL.'

'Buuut, make it illegal for anyone to pay them.'

-National Committee of Annoying Assholes.
“Unless they pay us more.”

That’s the important part you left out and it’s what everything is about. The ncaa knows they’re irrelevant and about to be gone at least in their current capacity.

“Unless they pay us more.”

That’s the important part you left out and it’s what everything is about. The ncaa knows they’re irrelevant and about to be gone at least in their current capacity.
I think where they are going to go with this, as I've mentioned in a couple of threads is kind of what occurs with doctors and hospitals. Doctors are recruited to areas by hospitals, however there are regulations which prohibit hospitals from paying doctors more than "fair market value" or giving incentives for a doctor to move to an area which are "commercially unreasonable", etc. In the context of doctors and hospitals, what the government does not want, are hospitals buying up all the doctors to insure that they get all the patients and that their competitors get none. The government wants doctors spread out throughout the country so that people all over the country have access to health care. So what they do is they look at the contracts doctors enter into with hospitals and analyze whether it makes business sense on it's face. If the contract is a huge money loser for the hospital on it's face, the government will say "well, the reason you are willing to lose all that money on the doctor's salary or on benefits etc. is to insure that you get all the referrals or that your doctor doesn't go to the competition".

I suspect they'll follow a similar model which says, "gee Collective, you are paying Joe High School 2 million dollars for his NIL and he's never caught a pass in D-1? That's commercially unreasonable/not fair market value, what you are really paying for is for this kid to play for the university you say you aren't associated with, not for the value of his name, image and likeness". This argument will be considerably strengthened if there are clauses in the contract which require the kid to eat lunch every day and sign autographs at the Tuscaloosa deli, etc., something which makes it practically impossible for him to play anywhere other than Alabama. That's where I think they are going with this. I could be wrong but that's a legal framework that has held up in court for decades, that will accomplish their ends of clamping down on blatant pay for play.

The Supreme Court opinion didn't rule out something like that, again the Supreme Court has seen that legal framework before and given it the thumbs up. Right now we are all sky high on the NIL wild west because we think it's helping us, but the day may come where we scream for regulation, imagine Elon Musk starts backing LSU or somebody, no one could compete with something like that in a wild west environment, it'll kill the sport stone dead. I just think it's BS to try to make any of this retroactive. The NCAA abdicated it's responsibility to regulate it, no one should be punished for doing what has been done up to this point, when they didn't provide any real guidance. That's crap, and not fair to the players who entered into the deals.

Last edited:
Yeah…this gobbledygook won’t hunt. Background noise pollution

They won't be able to limit size of deals, they won't be able to SERIOUSLY change the impact of ONE TIME TRANSFER, but they can ATTEMPT TO continue to play the competitive balance card with NIL spending caps as they have with schollie limits and on field coach limits. Sprye can cut a deal with any kid for any value they want, but cannot be assured they can go to UT until the sequence they enroll or school indicates issuance of NLI or paperwork for transfers have their impact on a cap. Just one or two more numbers to keep up with at the mother ship. What about that would fly in the face of court decision? Kids are free to get their money, and to go to the school of their choice until they run out of counters or NIL cap space. This also eliminates the double secret NIL funded walkon issue. When you are out of cap you are out of cap. Possibly would modify counter rules to include any player receiving NIL above a defined annual amount from all sources. Probably would not have to alter current squad size limits. 85 counters and 20 PWO's. Would still impact the quality of PWO's.

VN Store

Back