The disney insanity continues

I am sorry but Disney's stock hasn't been doing too well so I am going to trust that over a poster on a message board who claims to be from Orlando. I don't think Disney is going to sink but they will isolate 30-40% of American families which probably isn't a good thing. Now whether some of these families just ignore it and do business is still to be seen.

Chick Fil-A and NFL got political and it really didn't hurt them but it has hurt other companies like Nike and NBA (although NBA's pain points probably started before politics and were likely to have happen either way).

I think Disney will see more damage to their merchandising and entertainment/movie industry versus the actual park. Disney+ for example has seen subscription loss. I think the park will be fine because it is the only game in town (for now). Disney's main concern might be if a Nintendo park comes along. Mario has already surpassed Mickey Mouse in recognizability and I can see these characters (especially if they can do a successful movie) start to overtake the classic Disney characters with kids.

Today I learned Walt Disney World is the only theme park in Central Florida, and they remain in business because…checks notes…Ninetendo has yet to create Central Florida’s second theme park to compete with Disney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 615vols
Protected speech doesn't mean speech without consequence. There are people who feel that Florida's governor is well within his right to punish speech he disagrees with.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting retaliation for speaking out against the government isn't protected?

Protected speech absolutely means speech without governmental retaliatory consequences. It's literally what the protections are for.

The people who feel like the governor is well within his "rights" were likely singing a different tune when Obama and the IRS were targeting conservative groups for speaking out against him. Using a political chair to silence or bring harm to people or companies that dissent should terrify everyone.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting retaliation for speaking out against the government isn't protected?

Protected speech absolutely means speech without governmental retaliatory consequences. It's literally what the protections are for.

The people who feel like the governor is well within his "rights" were likely singing a different tune when Obama and the IRS were targeting conservative groups for speaking out against him. Using a political chair to silence or bring harm to people or companies that dissent should terrify everyone.
*the rare moment I agree with septic about politics 👀🤣

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Who has done that?

Really? Plenty of "corporations are evil" types that have decried their ability to donate to campaigns that are now defending Disney and it's right to free speech. And then there is the opposite side of the coin with posters who supposedly oppose govt going after corporations that are now celebrating DeSantis' actions.

I am sorry but Disney's stock hasn't been doing too well so I am going to trust that over a poster on a message board who claims to be from Orlando. I don't think Disney is going to sink but they will isolate 30-40% of American families which probably isn't a good thing. Now whether some of these families just ignore it and do business is still to be seen.

Chick Fil-A and NFL got political and it really didn't hurt them but it has hurt other companies like Nike and NBA (although NBA's pain points probably started before politics and were likely to have happen either way).

I think Disney will see more damage to their merchandising and entertainment/movie industry versus the actual park. Disney+ for example has seen subscription loss. I think the park will be fine because it is the only game in town (for now). Disney's main concern might be if a Nintendo park comes along. Mario has already surpassed Mickey Mouse in recognizability and I can see these characters (especially if they can do a successful movie) start to overtake the classic Disney characters with kids.

Disney isn’t the only game in town. Their biggest competitor is currently building its 3rd gate, which will contain Super Nintendo world among other huge ips, and be one of the country’s largest parks. But that doesn’t even matter, Disney will be fine. The parks are more popular than ever. If you think any of this crap will seriously hurt Disney you are out of your mind.

Today I learned Walt Disney World is the only theme park in Central Florida, and they remain in business because…checks notes…Ninetendo has yet to create Central Florida’s second theme park to compete with Disney.
He also completely ignored the brand new Peppa Pig expansion in winter Haven

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

The comparison is not the same

Reactions: VolStrom
You haven't seen the Tweet from Elon this morning, he's wearing a red engineer's hat.

Corporations and individuals remaining silent for fear of retribution or retaliation from the government is exactly what our founding fathers had in mind 246 years ago.
I know what you are saying; but I do have a hard time figuring out exactly what Jefferson, Madison, et al would think about a multi billion dollar multinational corporation build around an anthropogenic talking mouse dictating legislation. I don’t think they could have even envisioned that particular scenario. The very idea that any one corporation would be able to wield power and budget in excess of many governments wasnt even anywhere remotely in their minds. The talking mouse DEFINITELY wasn’t 😉

I know what you are saying; but I do have a hard time figuring out exactly what Jefferson, Madison, et al would think about a multi billion dollar multinational corporation build around an anthropogenic talking mouse dictating legislation. I don’t think they could have even envisioned that particular scenario. The very idea that any one corporation would be able to wield power and budget in excess of many governments wasnt even anywhere remotely in their minds. The talking mouse DEFINITELY wasn’t 😉

Speaking out against legislation is not the same as dictating legislation.

Disney was not on an island, as other corporations voiced similar opinions about the bill.

Reactions: Septic

That’s as bad of an argument as “the FFs never envisioned AR-15s”.

That’s as bad of an argument as “the FFs never envisioned AR-15s”.
Not meant to be an argument. Just meant to be a semi humourous envisioning of Someone with a time machine going back and describing the scenario to the FF.
The time traveler would spend half an hour describing the background and the timeline and then stop. Madison would look bewildered and ask „did you say something about a talking mouse“
😂😂😂
And that doesn’t even begin to express the confusion he would have over transgenderism and Drag shows for kindergarteners 😬
But yes, I think you are right about the constitutional questions this raises. What would bewilder the founders above all else would be the cultural context and how much that he changed in 240 odd years

Not meant to be an argument. Just meant to be a semi humourous envisioning of Someone with a time machine going back and describing the scenario to the FF.
The time traveler would spend half an hour describing the background and the timeline and then stop. Madison would look bewildered and ask „did you say something about a talking mouse“
😂😂😂
And that doesn’t even begin to express the confusion he would have over transgenderism and Drag shows for kindergarteners 😬
But yes, I think you are right about the constitutional questions this raises. What would bewilder the founders above all else would be the cultural context and how much that he changed in 240 odd years

I would be the FFs would say something along the lines of “you bunch of idiot jackwads, we gave to the most perfect system ever devised and you ****ed it up”.

I've never really understood why corporations make political statements. If individuals within the corporation wish to speak up, fine. But why make a statement as a corporation? I don't see the benefits. I'm not saying they don't have the right, or that it justifies retaliatory actions, but I don't see what they gain. Why jump in the fray? Just go about your business of making as much money as possible.

I've never really understood why corporations make political statements. If individuals within the corporation wish to speak up, fine. But why make a statement as a corporation? I don't see the benefits. I'm not saying they don't have the right, or that it justifies retaliatory actions, but I don't see what they gain. Why jump in the fray? Just go about your business of making as much money as possible.
If a corporation concludes they will lose more business by not taking a stance than they will by taking a stance, should they take the stance that will be most financially beneficial?

VN Store

Back