The disney insanity continues

DeSantis hs done exactly what he intended. 1) Established himself as one of the two leading candidates for the 2024 Republican nomination for President and 2) given a clear brush back pitch to CEO‘s who wish to use their corporate megaphone to influence social legislation that had absolutely nothing to do with their business interests. Now ou can argue that those are not necessarily ethical motivations in your book; but I would not discount their pragmatic effectiveness
I mostly agree, especially with #1.

For the state of Florida, financially, there's nothing to gain here and it could make things worse.

For the state of Florida, financially, there's nothing to gain here and it could make things worse.

Yeah 1 is a given.

Historically, 2 is frowned upon by small government, pro-business, fiscal conservative types. But many in that camp are okay with our governor’s actions.

Last edited:

So would you rather companies stay out of politics for no financial gain for the state or get involved in politics for no financial gain for the state and meddle in something that they shouldn't? From what I understand, Florida is doing just fine financially.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
So would you rather companies stay out of politics for no financial gain for the state or get involved in politics for no financial gain for the state and meddle in something that they shouldn't? From what I understand, Florida is doing just fine financially.

I think companies have the right to speak on political issues as they see fit, not unlike this very forum.

Those companies might run the risk of losing customers by doing so, but that’s their choice.

Government selectively targeting and punishing companies over disagreements in policy is about as un-American as it gets.

Last edited:
I think companies should have the right to speak on political issues as they see fit, not unlike this very forum.

Those companies might run the risk of losing customers by doing so, but that’s their choice.

Government selectively targeting and punishing companies over disagreements in policy is about as un-American as it gets.

Companies are by the very virtue of their money and influence a way more powerful voice than individuals are. You might think they have the same rights to voice opinions on laws passed, and they probably do, but it's wrong for them to exert influence over things that don't influence the operation of their business. Disney stepped out of bounds and got their hand slapped, and I'm glad they did.

Reactions: OrangeTsar

I think the CEO should have kept quiet but it's a free country with free speech. Disney can't pass laws.

About 150 other companies signed on the the pledge against the law before Disney even did. A big difference is most of those companies aren't located in states where the governor is eyeing a run for the White House. DeSantis is likely thrilled Disney made this stance, it's been a huge boost.

Anyone boycotting Disney needs to also stop shopping at Target, Advance auto, Carquest, stop using PDFs, don't buy computers with Intel processors, wear Levi's, and the list goes on and on.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Companies are by the very virtue of their money and influence a way more powerful voice than individuals are. You might think they have the same rights to voice opinions on laws passed, and they probably do, but it's wrong for them to exert influence over things that don't influence the operation of their business. Disney stepped out of bounds and got their hand slapped, and I'm glad they did.

Yeah so I disagree with just about all of that. 😂

You’re okay with government selectively slapping the hands of particular businesses based on a disagreement with policy.

It’s not Disney who stepped out of bounds here.

But I guess government overreach is okay when your politics are aligned with the government…that’s a dangerous precedent.

Yeah so I disagree with just about all of that. 😂

You’re okay with government selectively slapping the hands of particular businesses based on a disagreement with policy.

It’s not Disney who stepped out of bounds here.

But I guess government overreach is okay when your politics are aligned with the government…that’s a dangerous precedent you’re subscribing to.
This isn't about whether Disney should have the centerline of a road painted yellow or white, this is about whether children less than 9 years old should be exposed to sexual behavior in public schools. Disney chose the deviant road and the state fought back. How you can side with Disney tells me a lot about you and your morals. No matter how this turns out, it will never affect me and will probably tarnish Disney forever.

This isn't about whether Disney should have the centerline of a road painted yellow or white, this is about whether children less than 9 years old should be exposed to sexual behavior in public schools. Disney chose the deviant road and the state fought back. How you can side with Disney tells me a lot about you and your morals. No matter how this turns out, it will never affect me and will probably tarnish Disney forever.

Yay personal attacks and character judgments.

Reactions: RockyTop85
It wasn't about that at all. It was a politician telling you that was an issue since he knew you'd do no research before getting all fired up about tranny libs grooming your kids. Congrats on falling for it

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
It wasn't about that at all. It was a politician telling you that was an issue since he knew you'd do no research before getting all fired up about tranny libs grooming your kids. Congrats on falling for it
So what part did I get wrong? Did the bill not state that children under the age of 9 shouldn't be taught about sex or is that a lie?

So what part did I get wrong? Did the bill not state that children under the age of 9 shouldn't be taught about sex or is that a lie?
Not really but the point is that wasn't happening anyways. It was unnecessary and used to target/embarrass/demonize the opposition

I'm still waiting on your list of lies that I've told?

Nothing is as simple as what you make it. I'd wager you still have not read this bill and yet you call it's supporters deviants. People aren't asking for sexual education to grade schoolers what they are asking for is not marginalize the existence of same sex couples. Your arguments are ill formed and incomplete. Therefore, they are not truthful. I am done discussing this with you because it's pointless.

Reactions: RockyTop85

No one on the right was making this argument when Citizens United vs FEC was being debated.

SCOTUS says that corporations are the same as people and whose speech is protected, sounds like you'd like your cake and to eat it too.

I am sorry but Disney's stock hasn't been doing too well so I am going to trust that over a poster on a message board who claims to be from Orlando. I don't think Disney is going to sink but they will isolate 30-40% of American families which probably isn't a good thing. Now whether some of these families just ignore it and do business is still to be seen.

Chick Fil-A and NFL got political and it really didn't hurt them but it has hurt other companies like Nike and NBA (although NBA's pain points probably started before politics and were likely to have happen either way).

I think Disney will see more damage to their merchandising and entertainment/movie industry versus the actual park. Disney+ for example has seen subscription loss. I think the park will be fine because it is the only game in town (for now). Disney's main concern might be if a Nintendo park comes along. Mario has already surpassed Mickey Mouse in recognizability and I can see these characters (especially if they can do a successful movie) start to overtake the classic Disney characters with kids.

SCOTUS says that corporations are the same as people and whose speech is protected, sounds like you'd like your cake and to eat it too.

Protected speech doesn't mean speech without consequence. There are people who feel that Florida's governor is well within his right to punish speech he disagrees with.

VN Store

Back