Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants to talk about the other side of the coin last season - Burrell, Tank and a mediocre Flowers. Two good d-backs versus the other three yucks.

By all means we should celebrate the successes. But the secondary's competency is yet to be proven. #122 in the nation in passing yards allowed at 273.2 last season.
Yeah but, and this can go for Theo and Alontae's good play too, you can't totally argue the poor play by Flowers, Tank, and Burrell rests entirely on Martinez's shoulders when he only had 1 offseason and regular season with them. Taylor was already good. Theo probably put in the work himself to be great in the offseason. At some point it comes down to individual effort and mentality more than coaching.

Martinez didn't recruit those kids to play in whatever system he wants them to operate in and he hasn't had 4 years to mold them where you can definitely say he failed.

They can make a giant leap this year, and Flowers seems committed to being great - there's the mentality and effort. Makes the individual more coachable as well when they're committed to improving.

Nick Saban has had duds. The greatest coaches in the world have duds and guys who regress. That's the individual variable in the equation that you can't blame on the coach. It comes down to the body of work and what they've been able to do over their careers. Martinez may not be the greatest secondary coach ever but he's a pretty darn good one.

Somebody dumpster throw gif this man!

How about...

iu

Is Tampering illegal or just a violation of NCAA rules?

When I worked in industry I’d get emails or calls from recruiters a number of times a year asking me if I’d be interested in such and such a project. The specific work that I did had a shortage of people so there was always some demand. Even though I’ve been retired for several years I still get contacted a few times every year, less as time goes on. The thing I was thinking of was back in the day when I’d get contacted I’d almost always be working on a project at the time. Obviously that’s not illegal.

In 2005 I was working on a military project for Sikorsky Aircraft. It was a huge multi-billion dollar project to build new heavy lift helicopters for the marines. Well after the 2004 election Dubya’s team at the Pentagon decided to award the contract to Lockheed-Martin. Up until that point Sikorsky had been the main supplier of these aircraft to the military. Anyway, Sikorsky had other projects but a former employer contacted me because they needed someone for the restart of the Unit 1 reactor at Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant. It too was a multi-billion dollar project.

One of the things I liked about that opportunity was it was 4-day work weeks and I could go home every weekend from Muscle Shoals, Alabama as opposed to the much longer trip from where I was living in Medford, Connecticut. Another part was how many more contracts was Sikorsky apt to lose for being in the “wrong” political camp? In my exit interview, Sikorsky offered me an in-house position if I would stay and help out on a different project. As a consultant I’d easily earn 2-3 times what an employee would make. I was a mercenary. In this case I elected to transfer. The initial reason (project) that I had gone to Sikorsky in the first place wasn’t there anymore, at least not in my view, and I liked the stability and proximity to home of the gig with TVA.

So take for example Jordan Addison. He goes to Pitt and balls out. Then after a breakout year he loses his QB and his offensive coordinator. He’s celebrated as the top receiver in the country but his coach brings in a new coordinator and announces that he is going to shift from a pass oriented offense to a run oriented offense. I could imagine if you’re the supposed #1 receiver in the country you may not want to hear that. jmo.

The NCAA says until Addison puts his name in the transfer portal no one outside of Pitt can talk to him, either directly or indirectly, about other opportunities that may be available to him.

So is so called “tampering” illegal or just “against” NCAA rules?

Justice Neil Gorsuch delivered the opinion of a unanimous court targeting the education-related benefits at issue in the case. But in a concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh said the NCAA is essentially acting "above the law" in how it treats athletes and questioned if more spending limits should fall.

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate," Kavanaugh wrote. "And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."

Finally, all coaches seem to repeat the mantra that they’re going to put their players in the best position to be successful. I think a lot of times that may just be coach-speak as the coach just ends up doing whatever he wants to do. It could be one of the reasons why the average tenure of a head coach in FBS is only 3.8 years. jmo.

If the NFL draft just concluded is any indication it would appear that Heupel and his staff are in fact putting their players in a position to be successful. Our performance in the draft I think well exceeded expectations. jmo.

C'mon, volume stats are just garbage with knowing we play at an absurdly high tempo. We faced almost as many pass attempts as anyone in the country, right there with UGA, Alabama, and OSU. And we only played 13 games. So of course we allowed a high passing YPG.

View attachment 451951

Better measures would be efficiencies.

2021:
YPA allowed 60th
QBR allowed 63rd

Both just above the national median.

And he was working with...
2020:
YPA allowed 110th
QBR allowed 105th

So we jumped ~50 spots in both categories...and without hardly any pass rush. Impressive improvement iyam.
And we shouldn't forget that was facing...

1) The Heisman winner Bryce Young

2) The first QB pick and 3rd in Heisman votes - Kenny Pickett...plus the Biletnikoff winner Jordan Addison

3) Matt Corral, #7 in Heisman votes and another drafted QB

4) Purdue QB who finished #13 in QBR nationally

5) Hate him or doubt him, but Stetson Bennett also finished 5th in QBR nationally, if not mostly due to surrounding talent, but regardless an effective and more-talented passing game to defend.

Not sure any team in the country had to face such a lineup.

Last edited:
Is Tampering illegal or just a violation of NCAA rules?

When I worked in industry I’d get emails or calls from recruiters a number of times a year asking me if I’d be interested in such and such a project. The specific work that I did had a shortage of people so there was always some demand. Even though I’ve been retired for several years I still get contacted a few times every year, less as time goes on. The thing I was thinking of was back in the day when I’d get contacted I’d almost always be working on a project at the time. Obviously that’s not illegal.

In 2005 I was working on a military project for Sikorsky Aircraft. It was a huge multi-billion dollar project to build new heavy lift helicopters for the marines. Well after the 2004 election Dubya’s team at the Pentagon decided to award the contract to Lockheed-Martin. Up until that point Sikorsky had been the main supplier of these aircraft to the military. Anyway, Sikorsky had other projects but a former employer contacted me because they needed someone for the restart of the Unit 1 reactor at Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant. It too was a multi-billion dollar project.

One of the things I liked about that opportunity was it was 4-day work weeks and I could go home every weekend from Muscle Shoals, Alabama as opposed to the much longer trip from where I was living in Medford, Connecticut. Another part was how many more contracts was Sikorsky apt to lose for being in the “wrong” political camp? In my exit interview, Sikorsky offered me an in-house position if I would stay and help out on a different project. As a consultant I’d easily earn 2-3 times what an employee would make. I was a mercenary. In this case I elected to transfer. The initial reason (project) that I had gone to Sikorsky in the first place wasn’t there anymore, at least not in my view, and I liked the stability and proximity to home of the gig with TVA.

So take for example Jordan Addison. He goes to Pitt and balls out. Then after a breakout year he loses his QB and his offensive coordinator. He’s celebrated as the top receiver in the country but his coach brings in a new coordinator and announces that he is going to shift from a pass oriented offense to a run oriented offense. I could imagine if you’re the supposed #1 receiver in the country you may not want to hear that. jmo.

The NCAA says until Addison puts his name in the transfer portal no one outside of Pitt can talk to him, either directly or indirectly, about other opportunities that may be available to him.

So is so called “tampering” illegal or just “against” NCAA rules?

Finally, all coaches seem to repeat the mantra that they’re going to put their players in the best position to be successful. I think a lot of times that may just be coach-speak as the coach just ends up doing whatever he wants to do. It could be one of the reasons why the average tenure of a head coach in FBS is only 3.8 years. jmo.

If the NFL draft just concluded is any indication it would appear that Heupel and his staff are in fact putting their players in a position to be successful. Our performance in the draft I think well exceeded expectations. jmo.
Definitely can't imagine any possible way it is illegal according to federal or state laws. Though not a lawyer obviously.

Imo some just use "illegal" as a synonym for "against NCAA rules".

Ain't nobody throwing Reverend Barnes behind bars. We'd burn the jail down and break him free.

C'mon, volume stats are just garbage with knowing we play at an absurdly high tempo. We faced almost as many pass attempts as anyone in the country, right there with UGA, Alabama, and OSU. And we only played 13 games. So of course we allowed a high passing YPG.

View attachment 451951

Better measures would be efficiencies.

2021:
YPA allowed 60th
QBR allowed 63rd

Both just above the national median.

And he was working with...
2020:
YPA allowed 110th
QBR allowed 105th

So we jumped ~50 spots in both categories...and without hardly any pass rush. Impressive improvement iyam.

lol. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 273 YPG given up on the #99 in total defense is just what it is and nothing less. Sure the pass rush was partly to blame. But more of it was because Burrell and Tank stunk while getting most of the reps. The answer is more PBU's, picks and tackles at the spot of the completion. If Willie can get that done, he gets the accolades and more money while the team wins more games.

Just another reason to not live in flyover country. Tornadoes are a big NOPE. Hurricanes PASS. Earthquakes not as scared of with modern buildings, but would still rather not. I'll also add any place with killer bugs and creatures, such as Australia.

Living in the mountains protects us from all the crap trying to murder us 😅

Ummmm......

New Madrid Seismic Zone - Wikipedia

If that ever lets go, a whole lot of people are in a whole lot of trouble.

lol. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 273 YPG given up on the #99 in total defense is just what it is and nothing less. Sure the pass rush was partly to blame. But more of it was because Burrell and Tank stunk while getting most of the reps. The answer is more PBU's, picks and tackles at the spot of the completion. If Willie can get that done, he gets the accolades and more money while the team wins more games.
It's not "what it is". It's very misleading. We defended far more pass plays than most. So of course we allowed more yards per game. It's not that complicated.

And the point wasn't at all about pass:run distribution, so total YPG doesn't change the fact. We simply will defend more total plays...because of our tempo.

Total Plays Defended:
Screenshot_20220501-175445_Chrome.jpg

Otherwise we should just schedule a bunch of triple option teams, then we can have the best pass defense in the country according to you. Or better yet we could just become a triple option team, then our defense would appear so good only defending 45 plays a game...

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Wish y’all hadn’t run off D4H, he always had nice work on the NFL draft. I’d like to see his draft grades for each team. Anyone know where I can find him?

Nobody wants to talk about the other side of the coin last season - Burrell, Tank and a mediocre Flowers. Two good d-backs versus the other three yucks.

By all means we should celebrate the successes. But the secondary's competency is yet to be proven. #122 in the nation in passing yards allowed at 273.2 last season.
Yeah when Christian Charles got hurt in his first start we were screwed because Tank and Flowers are terrible in the safety spot.

It is irksome when people don't know the RF etiquette that we don't start random threads to ask questions that could easily be asked in here. I vote banishment for this heinous heinous crime.
It is irksome that the mods who have the power to respect the way we do things in here do not merge those stupid threads into this thread as soon as they start them...they would learn quicker that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back