LB Aaron Willis Enters Transfer Portal

I have no connection here. And I get 1000% these coaches want to win more than anything. Their whole legacy and career depends on it. But coaches wear a ton of hats and some have weaknesses. Amd I think giving guys an opportunity to win jobs out on the field is a weakness. Again…the way the qb competition played out is an example of that. Multiple qbs should’ve played earlier in the season. You can’t simulate game speed in practice.
As for my advocating for Willis it is because Beasley has struggled so much in games. It has little to do with Willis himself but rather how ineffective the guy ahead of him is.
But whatever… i’m done arguing the point. We are definitely trending up and I’d rather focus on that than laminating a weakness.
The QB job was not an example at all. You play ONE QB. You can't really have guys competing for the job in game action unless you have an incredibly dominant team otherwise. Even then, production is hurt almost all the time until one guy emerges. UT tried with Ainge and Schaeffer. It just doesn't work well.

With Hooker and Milton, you have a comparison contrast between Heupel and Jones/Pruitt. Milton played poorly in game 1. You can't just give up on a guy after one bad performance. He played the same way in game 2, got nicked up a little, and sat because Hooker produced a spark. Milton was able to return. He was able to start the next game. Heupel saw what Hooker brought. He saw that Milton wasn't transferring practice to game day. He made the change. We watched what you are talking about for four years. This wasn't the same and the change wasn't just the product of Milton getting a little hurt.

LB is completely different. You would LOVE to have multiple guys that you could trust on the field. But if a guy doesn't at least earn the minimum trust to play situationally... you can't just hurt the rest of the team to give him a live action tryout. UT played A LOT of guys. They played a lot of back ups. Willis didn't play because he apparently didn't prove he was minimally capable.

I'm disappointed too but the failure was not because he should have gotten a chance in live play and didn't. It was because he didn't develop for whatever reason and became impatient. The comments about him beginning to pick up the system from spring were really encouraging. But he apparently decided to leave anyway.

PS- We're making assumptions that his reason for transferring is playing time or opportunity to play. There's a really good chance that there's something else. It could be that he doesn't like the way he's coached after expecting to play for Pruitt. Unless he speaks out, we'll never know. It could even be purely personal and nothing to do with football.

This is an unbelievable mistake by our staff, make no bones about it. This kid is an absolute beast and in limited time on the field has proven his recruiting ranking to be justified IMO. He has sat behind the most incompetent and cowardly linebacker I’ve ever seen put on a Tennessee. Willis recognizes as much and wants to play. Amd he should be playing on this defense.
You obviously know this guy. Please tell him to get his s..t together and play ball!!!!

Wish him well. He was highly rated, but the concern was he that played in the lowest classification and didn't face top teams. That may have been a factor or may have nothing to do with it - he's 19 or 20 years old - who knows why he's moving on. So best of luck - we'll play with who we have.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Surprised he wasn't one of the ones supposedly asked to leave when Pruitt was fired. He was a Nieds recruit.

You can tell a few things from his tweet. No thanking his teammates, the University, or the coaching staff. It appears he’s angry, but you have to show some class. Maybe he’s getting bad or no advice. I wish him luck.

Another Pruitt whiff.

At least this gives Tennessee the chance to be very active in the transfer portal.

It was said he was the gem of his recruiting class and then got suspended immediately. Guess he needed a change of scenery and hopes to get some NIL money.

VN Store

Back