Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debating the Nico “effect” on our recruiting -

I’ve always thought that fanbases tended to being a mostly delusional mob. The mentality is a bit of a roller coaster but the notion that kids love a school as much as its fans do to me is seldom the case during recruiting. Fans of course want to feel that way but I think it’s delusional especially in the recruiting phase and maybe moreso with a dumpster fire of a has-been program that is frequently the laughing stock of the college football world. jmo.

Nico is an elite QB and has the cool vibe thing going maybe without equal but all these elite kids are and have been the cool kids in their own worlds pretty much their entire lives. jmo.

I think the “Nico effect” is $8,000,000. When I first saw that story and all the buzz it created across the entire landscape of college football I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I honestly still believe it was a deliberate move on our part to get the story out. I just hoped we were doing it right. I think we are. The point is all these elite kids are giving us a look in large measure perhaps because we can and maybe will pay significantly more than most. jmo.

Without a doubt I think one would be hard pressed to find a better poster child for our recruiting class than Nico Iamaleava but I don’t think that’s the critical focus. jmo.

It’s a business decision. It was a business decision in 2014 & 15 when Butch was here. It was a business decision when Pruitt was here. It’s always going to be a business decision. jmo.

Anyone who wants elite recruits flocking to Rocky Top and suiting up for the Orange & White should seriously consider some contribution to the collective that is going to “legally” get these kids paid. jmo.

I don’t think Josh Heupel will be here 6 years from now. He’ll be fired or at least I think so. He can’t compete with anyone worth competing with unless he has the talent on the field. Period. If you think he is the exception then more power to you but I am an absolute believer that most often it is NOT the coach that makes the players but the players that make the coach. So if you are smitten with Josh Heupel and aren’t doing anything to help him with the top targets on his recruiting board then you’re not really all that committed to his success or the success of our program so we’ll end up moving down our recruiting board trying to find hopefully at least some high 3-star bodies to fill out our roster. jmo.

Something to keep in mind, we play against NFL talent at quite a number of our opponents year in and year out. Without comparable talent we have less than a 20% chance of winning those games. jmo.

Using the NFL draft as a guide, around 40% of all 5-star recruits out of high school are busts. Around 75% of all 4-star kids are busts. 94% of 3-star kids are busts and 98% of 2-star and not rated kids are busts. Busts being defined as they don’t make an NFL roster. Right now we have a 3-star roster and this year could turn out to be the lowest number of blue chip kids we’ve had since the Dooley years. jmo.

We do things like “Butch gets it” and “Heupel can’t recruit” to have fun and support our program but Butch didn’t get it and Heupel can’t recruit. WE can get it and WE can recruit and those who want to see Heupel and our program recruit for success at an elite level if they can afford anything really need to consider contributing to our war chest otherwise it’s just a bunch of bluster as the clock of reality ticks closer to our next coaching search. jmo.

I ain't reading all that... U make some good points tho, or not idk

I’ve always thought that fanbases tended to being a mostly delusional mob. The mentality is a bit of a roller coaster but the notion that kids love a school as much as its fans do to me is seldom the case during recruiting. Fans of course want to feel that way but I think it’s delusional especially in the recruiting phase and maybe moreso with a dumpster fire of a has-been program that is frequently the laughing stock of the college football world. jmo.

Nico is an elite QB and has the cool vibe thing going maybe without equal but all these elite kids are and have been the cool kids in their own worlds pretty much their entire lives. jmo.

I think the “Nico effect” is $8,000,000. When I first saw that story and all the buzz it created across the entire landscape of college football I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I honestly still believe it was a deliberate move on our part to get the story out. I just hoped we were doing it right. I think we are. The point is all these elite kids are giving us a look in large measure perhaps because we can and maybe will pay significantly more than most. jmo.

Without a doubt I think one would be hard pressed to find a better poster child for our recruiting class than Nico Iamaleava but I don’t think that’s the critical focus. jmo.

It’s a business decision. It was a business decision in 2014 & 15 when Butch was here. It was a business decision when Pruitt was here. It’s always going to be a business decision. jmo.

Anyone who wants elite recruits flocking to Rocky Top and suiting up for the Orange & White should seriously consider some contribution to the collective that is going to “legally” get these kids paid. jmo.

I don’t think Josh Heupel will be here 6 years from now. He’ll be fired or at least I think so. He can’t compete with anyone worth competing with unless he has the talent on the field. Period. If you think he is the exception then more power to you but I am an absolute believer that most often it is NOT the coach that makes the players but the players that make the coach. So if you are smitten with Josh Heupel and aren’t doing anything to help him with the top targets on his recruiting board then you’re not really all that committed to his success or the success of our program so we’ll end up moving down our recruiting board trying to find hopefully at least some high 3-star bodies to fill out our roster. jmo.

Something to keep in mind, we play against NFL talent at quite a number of our opponents year in and year out. Without comparable talent we have less than a 20% chance of winning those games. jmo.

Using the NFL draft as a guide, around 40% of all 5-star recruits out of high school are busts. Around 75% of all 4-star kids are busts. 94% of 3-star kids are busts and 98% of 2-star and not rated kids are busts. Busts being defined as they don’t make an NFL roster. Right now we have a 3-star roster and this year could turn out to be the lowest number of blue chip kids we’ve had since the Dooley years. jmo.

We do things like “Butch gets it” and “Heupel can’t recruit” to have fun and support our program but Butch didn’t get it and Heupel can’t recruit. WE can get it and WE can recruit and those who want to see Heupel and our program recruit for success at an elite level if they can afford anything really need to consider contributing to our war chest otherwise it’s just a bunch of bluster as the clock of reality ticks closer to our next coaching search. jmo.
Who are you and what have you done with the poster I nominated for POTY.

So worked with a traveling nurse at the hospital today. She went to school at UT, Knoxville. She dated Cam Sutton while they were in school. Said that he is a nice guy. She said that her Mom is still mad at her because she broke up with him…😂

Cool story Bro 😎
That is a cool story…..bro

Good post

Reverse psychology? Or do you legitimately believe Heupel can't recruit? Kinda weird that you would make such a divisive comment without offering the most rudimentary defense of it.

Reverse psychology? Or do you legitimately believe Heupel can't recruit? Kinda weird that you would make such a divisive comment without offering the most rudimentary defense of it.
Or just a sell on everyone to give more to Spyre. I could get behind that.

I'm not sold Hype couldn't take us to great heights without NiL. But it sure does "lock it up" if we are at full steam ahead with it. Not pulling 100% with Spyre only adds unneeded risk to the project, so I'm all for everyone being all-in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back