I tried double cheeseburgers from 10 fast-food chains and the tastiest was also the best deal

I had Jackson Family BBQ make me a double cheeseburger with mustard, ketchup, pickles, and onions. Fast food can’t touch this.

I’ve been to CA twice. The first time are at In and Out by chance because it was close to the hotel. It was definitely the best fast food burger I’ve ever had. The second time I went to CA I made a point to eat there more than once.

If you are familiar with Pals in the TRI-cities they model a lot of their operations off In and Out. Their burgers are not nearly as good though.

Reactions: VolNExile
As far as true fast food burgers, I had always been partial to Steak n Shake and Sonic in the past. But, the local soics where we live now don't measure up to what i've had in the past. And SnS seems to be in delcine for some reason. I'd hit their place long before gonig next door to 5Guys for triple the price. If you have access to a Cook Out, they have a really good back yard grilled style burger, and their meal deals are second to none. And shakes to rival many places.

As far as true fast food burgers, I had always been partial to Steak n Shake and Sonic in the past. But, the local soics where we live now don't measure up to what i've had in the past. And SnS seems to be in delcine for some reason. I'd hit their place long before gonig next door to 5Guys for triple the price. If you have access to a Cook Out, they have a really good back yard grilled style burger, and their meal deals are second to none. And shakes to rival many places.
I think Sonics burgers are terrible. Rather have McDonald's

I think Sonics burgers are terrible. Rather have McDonald's
They used to be quite good at the one went to in Anderson, SC. Here in Cookeville, I got one sonic burger and never been back. Especially when you get a cold burger and cold tots. Over the last decade it seems sonic has drifted awry. I've no problem with an occasional 1/4 w/cheese. I know it is a nasty burger, but for some reason...

Reactions: VolNExile
They used to be quite good at the one went to in Anderson, SC. Here in Cookeville, I got one sonic burger and never been back. Especially when you get a cold burger and cold tots. Over the last decade it seems sonic has drifted awry. I've no problem with an occasional 1/4 w/cheese. I know it is a nasty burger, but for some reason...
The 1/4 pounder w/ cheese isn't a bad burger, especially since they changed up the meat.

Reactions: GVF
Whataburger and In-n-Out are solid, but they're nothing to write home about. I prefer Five Guys and The Habit Burger to both of them.
I've only been to Whataburger twice in my life and got food poisoned both times.

I'ld rather eat from a Karachi street vendor.

Last edited:
As good as The Varsity is, the onion rings steal the show. THe only thing I miss about being around ATL or Athens. Original locations are always hte best ones though. THe Athens store is not quite as good as downtown ATL.
“Whataya have, whataya have?”

No immediate response

“NEXT!”

Reactions: Freak and GVF
I'd say Pal's but the double Big Pal is a bit much for me. I doubt the double sauce burger world count either.

Freddy's need to be on that list though.

I liked White Castle when I was a kid in NYC.
I tried it again in Clarksville after not eating there for over 30 years and it was not as good as I remembered.
The crappy service there did not help.

Fast-Food Icon White Castle Does Something Completely New - TheStreet
That restaurant quickly rocketed to success and will sell more than five million hamburgers in its first year. Demand at the location has been tremendous, with it being open from 7 a.m. until 4 a.m. and planning to go 24-hours this summer.

Reactions: MAD
As good as The Varsity is, the onion rings steal the show. The only thing I miss about being around ATL or Athens. Original locations are always hte best ones though. THe Athens store is not quite as good as downtown ATL.

Original Athens store is no more. They are building 2 that are relatively close. First is on Athens Parkway Boulevard. Love Varsity and was raised on it. Cult food not everyone will like. I get people bashing it, but love it and usually bring chili dogs back home for dinner when I'm in Atlanta. Their onion rings, when done properly, may be the best in the world.

Pal's is great. Eat there every time I'm near one.

I love visiting Texas because Whataburger and In N Out are there. Both can be great. INO is more consistent. Would be nice to see Whataburger in Knoxville now that they are in Nashville.

Culver's has great burgers. Don't sleep on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: GVF and Freak

VN Store

Back