With the talent Tennessee has now accumulated, what would you consider a successful season?

Jesus, now we can’t even have expectations!!!! 😩

If you are referencing my post, that is not at all what I said or meant. But if people let their "expectations" keep them from enjoying the season and the little victories and progressions along the way, that seems counterproductive to me. But a post on a message board, certainly can't stop you from having "expectations."

Heck, I "expect" Jeff Bezos to stop by my house and give me $100 million dollars (I gotta tell you, I am starting to get pretty disappointed in Jeff B. for not living up to my "expectations.")

People tend to confuse goals, hopes and expectations. You strive for a goal; you meet an expectation. Expectations are established by historical baselines and replicable performances. So, you can have clear expectations about the Big Mac and fries that McDonald's serves you. Having an "expectation" that a team, that has not made the final four since 2008 will do so next year ,probably does not qualify as an expectation-- that is a hope (for fans) and a goal for the team.

If the LVs stay healthy, they seem better equipped to accomplish that goal than last season but a lot depends on how the team gels (Rickea has not played a game for the LVs yet and there will be some adjustment period).

Expectations for this team would be things like improving their SEC conference finish; increasing their offensive efficiency measures and so on.

Based on last couple of seasons play, TO's per game will impact next yrs team. 15-17 per game will again limit their success in the tourney's, improve that stat and all the above predictions can happen., Hope it improves a lot.

There are some good passers coming in. The returning players need to work on their catching. A lot of Jordy's turnovers were due to her teammates having bad hands and poor court awareness. Powell and Pissott can both dish it. Not sure about the others.

I think a Final Four would be successful for this team. They would have been at least an Elite Eight with Jordy healthy this year so it makes sense that Jackson and the rest would be worth at least one more tournament win.

If you are referencing my post, that is not at all what I said or meant. But if people let their "expectations" keep them from enjoying the season and the little victories and progressions along the way, that seems counterproductive to me. But a post on a message board, certainly can't stop you from having "expectations."

Heck, I "expect" Jeff Bezos too stop by house give me 100 million dollars (I gotta tell you, I am getting a little disappointed in Jeff for not living up to my "expectations."

People tend to confuse goals, hopes and expectations. You strive for a goal; you meet an expectation. Expectations are established by historical baselines and replicable performances. So, you can have clear expectations about the Big Mac and fries that McDonald's serves you. Having an "expectation" that a team, that has not made the final four since 2008 will do so next year ,probably does not qualify as an expectation-- that is a hope (for fans) and a goal for the team.

If the LVs stay healthy, they seem better equipped to accomplish that goal than last season but a lot depends on how the team gels (Rickea has not played a game for the LVs yet and there will be some adjustment period).

Expectations for this team would be things like improving their SEC conference finish; increasing their offensive efficiency measures and so on.
I’m so confused by your post, you’re telling me that, me expecting the team to make the Final Four based on talent alone and the culture I know Kellie can build, is being confused with a goal and hopes? If I expect them to do this…..isn’t that an EXPECTation?!

Take your last paragraph for example, those could be both goals and expectations, they seem one in the same, just from different view points. It wouldn’t be a goal of mine to make a FF because it’s not personal for me, I’m not the one playing for the Lady Vols, however as a fan, I expect this team to make the FF.

I don’t think anyone is confusing anything. The OP asked a question and people answered, and some of you all are critiquing people’s answers as if anyones’ answers are wrong or misplaced. It’s becoming way to common and y’all need to stop, it’s just not that serious!

I’m so confused by your post, you’re telling me that, me expecting the team to make the Final Four based on talent alone and the culture I know Kellie can build, is being confused with a goal and hopes? If I expect them to do this…..isn’t that an EXPECTation?!

Take your last paragraph for example, those could be both goals and expectations, they seem one in the same, just from different view points. It wouldn’t be a goal of mine to make a FF because it’s not personal for me, I’m not the one playing for the Lady Vols, however as a fan, I expect this team to make the FF.

I don’t think anyone is confusing anything. The OP asked a question and people answered, and some of you all are critiquing people’s answers as if anyones’ answers are wrong or misplaced. It’s becoming way to common and y’all need to stop, it’s just not that serious!

Let's back up, my original post was simply saying that when people proclaim its "final four or bust" for the LVs next season, that expectation is way too extreme. The LVs could accomplish a lot that they have not done for several years (winning a conference title, being ranked number 1 for an extended number of weeks) and still not make the final four. If something like that happened, I don't think that would be a bust season.

God forbid, they could have another injury riddled season and overcome those obstacles, like they did this season and still not make the Final 4 (I don't think that would be a bust season)

Then you posted
Jesus, now we can’t even have expectations!!!!

That is way far afield from what I said

Reactions: Rickster
Let's back up, my original post was simply saying that when people proclaim its "final four or bust" for the LVs next season, that expectation is way too extreme. The LVs could accomplish a lot that they have not done for several years (winning a conference title, being ranked number 1 for an extended number of weeks) and still not make the final four. If something like that happened, I don't think that would be a bust season.

God forbid, they could have another injury riddled season and overcome those obstacles, like they did this season and still not make the Final 4 (I don't think that would be a bust season)

Then you posted

That is way far afield from what I said

Why did you even assume that my post was directed towards you? You’re the one that quoted my post?

It’s about feelings.

Look at it this way. I go get takeout for dinner, I order a cheeseburger. It’s been a long day, I’m hungry, and really looking forward to eating my hot juicy cheeseburger when I get home. I get home, open it up, no cheese. They left off my cheese! I‘m not just disappointed, I’m angry. I looked forward to a cheeseburger, I invested my time and energy in a cheeseburger, I expected a cheeseburger, and I have every right to be ticked off when they didn’t meet my expectations. Whose fault is it that they left off the cheese?

When I see someone here, especially a fan of another team, want to start a discussion about our expectations for our team, I’m wary, because once people declare their expectations, and some even declared their minimum expectations, it feels like a manipulative trap to later have fans feel disappointed or angry at their team or Coach because of an unmet expectation.

I think that’s sort of what madtownvol felt, too.

It’s about feelings.

Look at it this way. I go get takeout for dinner, I order a cheeseburger. It’s been a long day, I’m hungry, and really looking forward to eating my hot juicy cheeseburger when I get home. I get home, open it up, no cheese. They left off my cheese! I‘m not just disappointed, I’m angry. I looked forward to a cheeseburger, I invested my time and energy in a cheeseburger, I expected a cheeseburger, and I have every right to be ticked off when they didn’t meet my expectations. Whose fault is it that they left off the cheese?

When I see someone here, especially a fan of another team, want to start a discussion about our expectations for our team, I’m wary, because once people declare their expectations, and some even declared their minimum expectations, it feels like a manipulative trap to later have fans feel disappointed or angry at their team or Coach because of an unmet expectation.

I think that’s sort of what madtownvol felt, too.

Exactly!! Thanks, MTV

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Tamari Key will be one of the best # 5 players in all college basketball. Jackson is a double, double machine. She will be one of the best # 4 in all college basketball. Jordan Horston will be one of the best # 2 or # 3 in all college basketball. With the rest of the bunch, they will fight for time and will be rewarded. this team should make it to the championship game. We are very deep so foul trouble will be no problem. If we have 2 or 3 get hurt and sets a spell this team will be ok with all the backup, they have. As always go Lady Vol's.

We will have a good team next year. We also had a title contender this year until all the injuries. A healthy team from start to finish we might have lost to SC, but we could compete. The players that are coming in are all skilled at their positions. Two things I hope can also change are the amount of turnovers. I am hoping that with the new players all can play at their natural positions and that hopefully will reduce turnovers. Maybe we will be good enough that it will not matter and we can win with 30. GO BIG 🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊

VN Store

Back