With the talent Tennessee has now accumulated, what would you consider a successful season?

shiverz

My opinion is an Elite 8, top 10 ranking, top 2 finish in the SEC and beating UConn at home. I didn't put beating SC since Tennessee has done that recently under Harper. Tennessee has final four talent on paper, but I am not sure how that talent will mesh. I will have to reevaluate to see how all the pieces fit during the season.

If Franklin comes out of the injury like she was before the injury I'm calling this a final four team. One of the best teams in the country and a legitimate shot at a National Championship. This could be our best defensive team ever and guarding Franklin, Jackson, Horston, Powell and others is going to be a tough task for anyone. We'll have two players inside with a combined 407 blocks going into next season. The sad thing is some other players have just got shoved further down the bench no way to play 14 and at least three of them won't play much. We might still be adding another player and I would be happy either way we go another inside post player or a dynamic three point shooter. I could be happy with either of these type players.

My opinion is an Elite 8, top 10 ranking, top 2 finish in the SEC and beating UConn at home. I didn't put beating SC since Tennessee has done that recently under Harper. Tennessee has final four talent on paper, but I am not sure how that talent will mesh. I will have to reevaluate to see how all the pieces fit during the season.

I most definitely say final four, because we have a balanced team we are not top heavy with stars everyone has a role and do things well so u can play mutiple combination do a number of different things.... but when its all said and done DEPTH, DEFENSE, REBOUNDING will be what prevails us

I most definitely say final four, because we have a balanced team we are not top heavy with stars everyone has a role and do things well so u can play mutiple combination do a number of different things.... but when its all said and done DEPTH, DEFENSE, REBOUNDING will be what prevails us

If Franklin comes out of the injury like she was before the injury I'm calling this a final four team. One of the best teams in the country and a legitimate shot at a National Championship. This could be our best defensive team ever and guarding Franklin, Jackson, Horston, Powell and others is going to be a tough task for anyone. We'll have two players inside with a combined 407 blocks going into next season. The sad thing is some other players have just got shoved further down the bench no way to play 14 and at least three of them won't play much. We might still be adding another player and I would be happy either way we go another inside post player or a dynamic three point shooter. I could be happy with either of these type players.

So if Tennessee does not make the final 4, are you saying the season was not successful? That was the question in the header. I guess I am asking what is the minimum? The elite 8 is the minimum in my opinion.

So if Tennessee does not make the final 4, are you saying the season was not successful? That was the question in the header. I guess I am asking what is the minimum? The elite 8 is the minimum in my opinion.
Whatever happens, I'll support this program. But an Elite Eight is a reasonable expectation considering who we'll have available, and a Final Four is an actually achievable goal for the first time in a long time.

No not saying that as you need considerable talent plus a little luck to get to the final four. UConn made it with a double overtime win and Sc had an 8 point game with NC which was even closer at some point. I'm saying this team will have the talent to make the final four, win the SEC and even the National Championship. I would agree we should definitely make the elite 8 anything under that would certainly be a huge disappointment if everyone stays healthy and Jasmine Franklin is back to her MVC player of the year form.

This is a sad thing. I wish we could/would put more emphasis on playing time for non-starters like the ones you seem to imply. We for the most part know who they are. I understand it may come as a threat to the "win"um all and do it know" folks. But it sure would be nice to be able to "run another one in" when someone goes down or gets tired or gets in foul trouble from constant 100% of the time pressure, knowing that personal is as good or very nearly so as the player coming out. Nothing I like better than to see a team going as hard or harder at the game end as it did at the game start.

Yep because we seem to be the middle of the road as shooters!

Considering we were a top 5 team before injuries and a number 1 seed this past year. This roster is better deeper so Top 5 1 Seed and final 4. Coach has carefully picked portal for her type of player that fits with her returning team and oh by the way 1 has player of the year Talent. In CHRIST Alone

This is a sad thing. I wish we could/would put more emphasis on playing time for non-starters like the ones you seem to imply. We for the most part know who they are. I understand it may come as a threat to the "win"um all and do it know" folks. But it sure would be nice to be able to "run another one in" when someone goes down or gets tired or gets in foul trouble from constant 100% of the time pressure, knowing that personal is as good or very nearly so as the player coming out. Nothing I like better than to see a team going as hard or harder at the game end as it did at the game start.
They probably get quite a bit of play in a few of the non conference games, but in conference play no matter how good you are most of the games are three of four possession games. There might be a few where you can extend the bench, but we'll see five or six SEC teams maybe more that will be supreme competition.

Elite 8, but I want FINAL 4 for this team, because I luv'em so much and I want all the glory for them 🧡...This past season, [even without Jordy down the stretch] we made it to the Sweet Sixteen, [so that box is checked] [If Jaz F is strong & healthy and no major down time for players 1 thru 8] with all of the veteran & young talent on this team, we will be tough for ANYONE to beat...I really feel our outside shooters will have so much open space to shoot the 3...We should be a high scoring team and with all 3 transfer additions being good defensive players and shooters, the sky could be the limit for this team...Need to strike while the iron is HOT...but we'll see what the season holds...LVFL 🧡🏀🧡

Last edited:
They probably get quite a bit of play in a few of the non conference games, but in conference play no matter how good you are most of the games are three of four possession games. There might be a few where you can extend the bench, but we'll see five or six SEC teams maybe more that will be supreme competition.

I understand what you are saying. But it goes back to the "win'um all" mind set. Cleanup playing time is good, but pressure play hardens the player to play in the real pressure games.

National Championship

I'm with you on this. We've got a great coach and a stacked roster now, but will be losing half of the latter next spring. It's time to get that NC now. No more of "next year we'll be better if we can only recruit X, Y, and Z," which this board has been saying since 2008.

"Time for Nine"

Undefeated National Champs. We so completely humiliate teams that opposing players are left in tears at game's end. Several teams are so traumatized they cancel the remainder of the season. Head coaches retire from the shame of the beatdown.

Anything less is unacceptable

Last year the LVs were 19-1 without Rae for most of the big wins and the LVs rating was up to fourth. so it is definitely possible with increased talent. A non-asked question do you believe the LVs would have beaten Louisville without the best LV player injuried?

I am a fan who has attended five of the final 4s the LVs were in. What I hope for this year is to be in all the games against the best teams the LVs are playing hard down to the last possession. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread "a little luck" is essential for the winners at the top of the mountain.

I hope for the team to exhibit swagger. Would not it be fun to see one of our players get a technical for the type of swagger stares and smiles than Candice exhibited (and she got I believe two techs)

and finally with that - not lose a single game like last year's Auburn game against an inferior team.

I honestly don't have any impression of what Tennessee will be next year, to say nothing of setting expectations against them. Bringing in three new players is a lot to integrate. If it goes perfectly, could be a really good year. But if it doesn't? Who knows. I get the impression a lot of folks here are pumping the gas pedal on Tennessee's 2022 season pretty hard. I would suggest holding up on that. It's been six years since Tennessee averaged under 15 turnovers a game. I would just hold up. Give it some space. See what happens.

There's a number of stable, consistent programs out there, and a few that are threatening to be great. Just not sure where to put Tennessee in that mix right now.

VN Store

Back