Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

They beat KY in the previous round and lost to Duke in Knoxville. Purdue with Cuonzo and Glenn Robinson beat Kansas and Roy Williams and then Dook and K beat Purdue in the regional final.

Really Houston had a disaster of a final game in his 4th year and the absolute train wreck of all train wrecks in his 5th year minus Allan. Allan kept the first 4 years from being complete fails, although only 2 were (barely) winning seasons and there were zero NCAAT invites. Wade’s recruiting was horrible and he wasn’t all that with Xs and Os and player development. Wade was too focused on his trucking company in Louisville. He was almost certainly more successful financially as a business owner rather than a coach earning maybe $200k.

I think Houston was granted a 5th yr at UT based on some combination of (1) Dickey not caring enough about basketball, and (2) UT having a messy divorce with Majors in football some 3-4 months before decision time with Houston.

Houston’s teams were Charmin soft. I finally got to see the Vols in TBA after moving back to TN in 1992-93. First game I saw was Houston’s Vols gently chasing a Vandy weave offense around, and I swear we looked like the Washington Generals. Embarrassing.

I think Houston was granted a 5th yr at UT based on some combination of (1) Dickey not caring enough about basketball, and (2) UT having a messy divorce with Majors in football some 3-4 months before decision time with Houston.

Houston’s teams were Charmin soft. I finally got to see the Vols in TBA after moving back to TN in 1992-93. First game I saw was Houston’s Vols gently chasing a Vandy weave offense around, and I swear we looked like the Washington Generals. Embarrassing.

It would have been a really bad look to have fired Wade as soon as Allan’s eligibility was spent. No way he’d be retained for a 5th year in today’s environment, but there is also no way that Allan would be in college for four.

They beat KY in the previous round and lost to Duke in Knoxville. Purdue with Cuonzo and Glenn Robinson beat Kansas and Roy Williams and then Dook and K beat Purdue in the regional final.

Really Houston had a disaster of a final game in his 4th year and the absolute train wreck of all train wrecks in his 5th year minus Allan. Allan kept the first 4 years from being complete fails, although only 2 were (barely) winning seasons and there were zero NCAAT invites. Wade’s recruiting was horrible and he wasn’t all that with Xs and Os and player development. Wade was too focused on his trucking company in Louisville. He was almost certainly more successful financially as a business owner rather than a coach earning maybe $200k.
Ah...thought that game was in Knoxville for some reason. I recall watching Purdue and Big Dog play at TBA, but didn't remember who it was against.

The highlight of the Houston era for me was the run they made in the SEC tourney to play against 'Bama in the championships game, as well as the miraculous 4-point play as time expired at TBA to beat Kentucky.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Those losses to the likes of Tn Tech and Ark-Little Rock with an All SEC player were the top level of cringe. These kids today who bitch about Barnes have no understanding of how good our program was with Mears and Devoe and how bad we were with O Neil and Buzz

I hate to be that guy… No I really do, but looking at the returning players and the recruits we have coming in Tennessee is going to take a major step backwards this coming year. With less depth, no KC, this could be the year the Barnes hecklers catch up to him. I’ve been a Barnes believer since he got here and I’ve continued to stick my neck out for him giving him the benefit of the doubt, but is the coaches play style outdated?? I mean all defense, defense , defense , defense and the all to well known phrase,”It’s not about me.”
if you was a recruit would this system jump out at you and make you be interested?? The NBA loves offense, hell everybody does. Ever heard the saying a good offense always beat a good defense?? Well I think that saying is especially true in basketball..
I know I’m probably going to get blasted for this , and part of me really believes in coach Barnes but we have to ask ourselves, is the coaches style outdated boring, and honestly those post season woes makes you wonder if the style even translates to when it matters most.. I know we don’t have any options that’s out there, like a big fish I guess.. but look at TV he was an assistant coach and pretty much everybody overlooked him. He’s done wonders for Tennessee baseball, and it’s because he’s fierce, young, and a go getter with a winning attitude.. maybe just maybe after this season Tennessee finally starts closing the chapter on the Rick Barnes era.

Reactions: allen phillips
I hate to be that guy… No I really do, but looking at the returning players and the recruits we have coming in Tennessee is going to take a major step backwards this coming year. With less depth, no KC, this could be the year the Barnes hecklers catch up to him. I’ve been a Barnes believer since he got here and I’ve continued to stick my neck out for him giving him the benefit of the doubt, but is the coaches play style outdated?? I mean all defense, defense , defense , defense and the all to well known phrase,”It’s not about me.”
if you was a recruit would this system jump out at you and make you be interested?? The NBA loves offense, hell everybody does. Ever heard the saying a good offense always beat a good defense?? Well I think that saying is especially true in basketball..
I know I’m probably going to get blasted for this , and part of me really believes in coach Barnes but we have to ask ourselves, is the coaches style outdated boring, and honestly those post season woes makes you wonder if the style even translates to when it matters most.. I know we don’t have any options that’s out there, like a big fish I guess.. but look at TV he was an assistant coach and pretty much everybody overlooked him. He’s done wonders for Tennessee baseball, and it’s because he’s fierce, young, and a go getter with a winning attitude.. maybe just maybe after this season Tennessee finally starts closing the chapter on the Rick Barnes era.

You trying to steal my screenname?

Maybe we should wait to see who is on the squad over the summer before we throw in the towell. If BHH did not buy in like JJJ, Santi, and ZZ maybe it is best he moved on. KC made it plain during his exit statement that Coach was a plus for him. But he is not a one size fits all coach. I would speculate some guys that would fit see the opportunity in the post and look to join. A healthy ON is critical now and a couple of day 1 ready fits added with the four empty slots and life could be good again. Way too early to be heading to the edge of the bridge.

Last edited:
Maybe we should wait to see who is on the squad over the summer before we throw in the towell. If BHH was did not buy in like JJJ, Santi, and ZZ maybe it is best he moved on. KC made it plain during his exit statement that Coach was a plus for him. But he is not a one size fits all coach. I would speculate some guys that would fit see the opportunity in the post and look to join. A healthy ON is critical now and a couple of day 1 ready fits added with the four empty slots and life could be good again. Way too early to be heading to the edge of the bridge.
With KC gone with literally have nobody on the team that can get their own shot.. you can try and argue JJJ but let’s be real he’s not gonna be making Leaps and bounds this year on offense..I know coach wants defensive minded players but offensively.. look out this year could be real bad.

Can’t say I disagree. The 22’ class has simply been a disaster there’s no way around it. Missed on every single top priority recruit. We will be a pre-season top 25 team next year regardless but I don’t expect us to do anything crazy. I don’t think it’ll be as bad as 19-20 though. That team lost every important piece and had no pg

With KC gone with literally have nobody on the team that can get their own shot.. you can try and argue JJJ but let’s be real he’s not gonna be making Leaps and bounds this year on offense..I know coach wants defensive minded players but offensively.. look out this year could be real bad.

Once again, you are selling short a coach who has creatively added guys like ZZ and Santi from nowhere and I doubt the double secret list in his top drawer is blank now. Especially with ONE TIME in play. That impact works both ways. He is not afraid to gamble and does not panic when guys like QD and BHH don't fit the needs like Santi and ZZ. It will also be interesting to see how Powell progresses going forward. He had a tough time getting out there with Bailey here. Same for Mashack. Two totally different roles for the same minutes. I am hoping coach pulls one big and one creative athlete/shooter type for versatility. Fall practice is a ways off.

Zz and Vescovi both benefited from having KC. Those open 3s was created by chandler. I just don’t see another guy who can create or get other guys going.
Even with KC who was our difference maker, we still shot poorly.
We losing chandler, fulky, and BHH.. all who played roles or was about to have a huge increase this year (BHH).. can you really be confident in next season??
Until we get like you mentioned, a playmaker on the perimeter.. we are sitting ducks in the sec. Teams like Arkansas, Kentucky, auburn, and all the other teams are adding pieces to their puzzles and we are just watching them while we sit with the same plan as last year with a less talented roster..

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Can’t say I disagree. The 22’ class has simply been a disaster there’s no way around it. Missed on every single top priority recruit. We will be a pre-season top 25 team next year regardless but I don’t expect us to do anything crazy. I don’t think it’ll be as bad as 19-20 though. That team lost every important piece and had no pg
I hope it’s not as bad.. potentially could be.. I hate making this thread bc I’ve really backed up everything Barnes has done.. but when you step back and look at the picture without our orange glasses on.. the future at Tennessee basketball is always going to be a defensive team first that struggles on offense with coach Barnes and even more obvious is he doesnt win in march.. I mean if we hadn’t won the sec tournament this year this offseason would have been a failure and the start of his end at Tennessee.

Zz and Vescovi both benefited from having KC. Those open 3s was created by chandler. I just don’t see another guy who can create or get other guys going.
We losing chandler, fulky, and BHH.. all who played roles or was about to have a huge increase this year (BHH).. can you really be confident in next season??
Until we get like you mentioned, a playmaker on the perimeter.. we are sitting ducks in the sec. Teams like Arkansas, Kentucky, auburn, and all the other teams are adding pieces to their puzzles and we are just watching them while we sit with the same plan as last year with a less talented roster..
So what's your solution? Your screen name includes Vol for Life, so I'm assuming you have one. Or are you just here to lament what could possibly happen? Personally, I can see both sides of the argument. Considering this past season, I really thought more players would be interested in coming here. But then again, we do have 4 open spots, and the staff hasn't stopped trying to fill them. It's way too early to panic. If we miss on Phillips and a good portal PG, then I could understand being concerned, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe we should let this all play out before hitting the panic button?

Truthfully, I'm not good with patience myself, but these things move at their own time, and no matter how fast you or I want it to happen, that doesn't speed up the process.

Tennessee basketball is always going to be a defensive team first that struggles on offense with coach Barnes
That definitely wasn't the case during the 2018-19 season, including the NCAA Tournament loss to Purdue. That team had plenty of offense, but couldn't defend the 3 point line.

I mean if we hadn’t won the sec tournament this year this offseason would have been a failure and the start of his end at Tennessee.
.... and this is just a wee bit melodramatic.

We'll see how the roster is filled out first, but if 2022-23 proves to be a bad season, I expect the program will survive and quickly recover under Coach Barnes. The guy seems to know what he's doing.

So let me get this straight.....BHH was about to have a " huge increase this year", but no other players are expected to?

Some of the crap you guys post is laughable.

VN Store

Back