Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

But your hypothesis is completely wrong.

Green 4 of 4 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16.
Pearl 6 of 6 NCAAT appearances - 3 sweet 16 - one elite 8.
Barnes 4 of 7 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16. C Martin 1 of 3 NCAAT appearances - 1 sweet 16.

So….. carry on.

You aren’t keeping up. We are comparing it to football. You are lost.

Bruce absolutely tarnished the program. The dumpster fire was ignited with his rogue regime. You can’t lie to your higher ups in any job. His dishonesty is chronic.
Wait, what all did I miss about what Bruce did? He lied about a party, I thought that was all. And the "dumpster fire" was his fault because he was "rogue"? Did I miss more lies?

Wait, what all did I miss about what Bruce did? He lied about a party, I thought that was all. And the "dumpster fire" was his fault because he was "rogue"? Did I miss more lies?

Apparently you did. He lied to his bosses about Brian Williams. He was rogue in every sense of the word. And he left the program in worse shape than what he started with.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
So you prefer faltering in first or second round every year versus getting to a Final Four? Got it. That’s the equivalent of losing in the Music City or Alamo Bowl instead of getting to the CFB playoff.

If it's one seemingly random Final Four in a 10 year span vs. sustained success, yes I do. You didn't answer the question, what good has it done SC? Martin just got fired, and they are hardly any better now than when Martin took over.

Georgia has a Final Four, do you really want to trade our history with theirs?

Very good story on Barnes and his NCAA Tournament struggles by Dan Wolken in today's edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel.

Barnes needs to hire an offensive coach this time around because he is a mediocre offensive coach and every other facet of his coaching is solid from defense to player development to recruiting.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Very good story on Barnes and his NCAA Tournament struggles by Dan Wolken in today's edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel.

Barnes needs to hire an offensive coach this time around because he is a mediocre offensive coach and every other facet of his coaching is solid from defense to player development to recruiting.

Not reading that. I saw Wolken's title claiming Barnes is a clown. We know who the true clown is.

You just wrote a contradictory sentence.

You just wrote a contradictory sentence.

I am also beginning to wonder about the description of our offense being mediocre. At one time this year (and after last year), I thought it was probably valid. But after the assist numbers this year and the way we shared the ball, I don't quite believe that as much. Frankly, we missed open shots against Michigan, and you have to make open and contested shots to win games this time of year.

Dan Wolken is a doosh and I don't care what he thinks about Barnes. If it were up to him we'd have Schiano as head coach of football.

I doubt Dan Wolken has ever picked up a basketball much like any number of posters on here so I don’t pay a lot of attention to him. Here’s the bottom line for all the Barnes haters on here. Who do you want as coach that you can get? All the “big names” are comfortable where they are and already making $5 million a year or are too old to go after. After those it’s a crap shoot. Five openings have just been filled in the SEC. One went to a coach who would have been fired at Florida in the next year. The other four have all gone to mid major coaches with very little track record. Don’t you think Florida, LSU, Missouri and MS St. would have gone for an “elite” coach if they could have? Bottom line is we are not getting a better more proven coach than Rick Barnes so you might as well get used to it till he decides to retire. End of discussion.

The people on here that don't want Barnes held accountable for losses are the same ones that defend his high salary. We knew before he got here that he was never an elite coach and was fired from his previous job for failing miserably in the NCAA tournament. The buck stops with Barnes, if he can't coach in the tournament then he owns it.
You’re a pariah.

I doubt Dan Wolken has ever picked up a basketball much like any number of posters on here so I don’t pay a lot of attention to him. Here’s the bottom line for all the Barnes haters on here. Who do you want as coach that you can get? All the “big names” are comfortable where they are and already making $5 million a year or are too old to go after. After those it’s a crap shoot. Five openings have just been filled in the SEC. One went to a coach who would have been fired at Florida in the next year. The other four have all gone to mid major coaches with very little track record. Don’t you think Florida, LSU, Missouri and MS St. would have gone for an “elite” coach if they could have? Bottom line is we are not getting a better more proven coach than Rick Barnes so you might as well get used to it till he decides to retire. End of discussion.
I think his new 10-year deal is likely to be announced this week or next.

Exactly. Hope he doesn't retire any time soon.

The only time UT has ever landed a sitting P5 HC was Jerry Green, and Oregon was more than happy to let us have him. He was a year away from getting fired and came here to reset his clock Cuonzo Martin / Mike White style.

The only time UT has ever landed a sitting P5 HC was Jerry Green, and Oregon was more than happy to let us have him. He was a year away from getting fired and came here to reset his clock Cuonzo Martin / Mike White style.

KO is a gray area P6 hire. They weren’t in the Big East yet, but did win the NCAAT about 15 years earlier and were in conferences with other current BE members. It was a huge hire at the time. It turned into a giant cluster ****.

KO is a gray area P6 hire. They weren’t in the Big East yet, but did win the NCAAT about 15 years earlier and were in conferences with other current BE members. It was a huge hire at the time. It turned into a giant cluster ****.
And, iirc, they beat KY in Knoxville. Add that to the disaster of the Houston years, and KO's experience working with Lute Olsen at Arizona and it certainly felt like a homerun.

And, iirc, they beat KY in Knoxville. Add that to the disaster of the Houston years, and KO's experience working with Lute Olsen at Arizona and it certainly felt like a homerun.

They beat KY in the previous round and lost to Duke in Knoxville. Purdue with Cuonzo and Glenn Robinson beat Kansas and Roy Williams and then Dook and K beat Purdue in the regional final.

Really Houston had a disaster of a final game in his 4th year and the absolute train wreck of all train wrecks in his 5th year minus Allan. Allan kept the first 4 years from being complete fails, although only 2 were (barely) winning seasons and there were zero NCAAT invites. Wade’s recruiting was horrible and he wasn’t all that with Xs and Os and player development. Wade was too focused on his trucking company in Louisville. He was almost certainly more successful financially as a business owner rather than a coach earning maybe $200k.

VN Store

Back