Spring Practice #9

Fingers

VIDEO

CLIPS

NOTES

Running back Jabari Small was not out there while media was present. This isn’t a shocker as he hasn’t been seen by media since dating back to last week. For the first time this spring, Cedric Tillman was not practice while the media was on hand.

Offensive tackle Dayne Davis was not dressed out in full pads and not going through drills Thursday morning. He was seen in a walking boot on his left ankle. RJ Perry was second in line, behind Darnell Wright, at right tackle today. Princeton Fant was back at practice in full pads but was repping a yellow non-contact jersey. This is the first time we’ve seen Fant in a practice setting since about the middle of last week.

Doneiko Slaughter is still not practicing.

Hyatt/Calloway/Merrill/White worked out of the slots, along with the tight ends. Julian Nixon continues to look more comfortable at tight end, especially in pass-catching settings. The outside receivers looked even more bleak than normal without Tillman. Holiday/Webb/Frerking worked one half of the field while Keyton/Nimrod/Miller worked the other.

Gerald Mincey was back again working at left tackle. He was also seen on Monday after missing Saturday’s scrimmage. It looks like JaVontez Spraggins and Darnell Wright are building some chemistry on the right side, but mostly everything looks good outside of 11-on-11.

The groups continue to look like this: Banks/Beasley, Mitchell (yellow jersey)/Solon Page, Herring/Garland. Willis also mixed in up there.
e.cain

Running backs have been consistent as well, though Jabari Small was not present again on Thursday morning.

Gerald Mincey is looking better on the offensive line, though the Vols’ front five have still not been revealed.

Jeremy Banks and Aaron Beasley looked impressive here, with Pak Garland also making a couple of praise-earning reps.
si

Tyler Baron, Byron Young and Roman Harrison continue to be the first ones through those drills.

With Tillman not present while we were out there, it was Jimmy Holiday who flipped sides and went through routes-on-air at the front of that group opposite of Keyton at the other outside spot. It was goal-line routes-on-air and it wasn't particularly pretty with too many footballs hitting the turf.

Jimmy Calloway cut one route short and couldn't complete a catch in the back of the end zone. Joe Milton III had nice touch on one throw that landed out of Warren's reach. Freshman wideout Kaleb Webb had a drop that led to him doing push-ups as punishment.

Freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson showed nice touch on one corner-route throw to redshirt freshman tight end Julian Nixon, who has been getting force-fed reps this spring with Campbell out and Fant out and/or limited.

On the offensive line, Davis's absence saw RJ Perry flip from left tackle to right tackle, where he worked behind Darnell Wright and ahead of freshman Brian Grant. Redshirt freshman William Parker flipped over to the left side and worked behind Jeremiah Crawford and Gerald Mincey. The Florida transfer continues to look healthier after dealing with an ankle injury that forced him out of the first scrimmage.
p.brown

Last edited:
"The outside receivers looked even more bleak than normal without Tillman. Holiday/Webb/Frerking worked one half of the field while Keyton/Nimrod/Miller worked the other."

:(

"The outside receivers looked even more bleak than normal without Tillman. Holiday/Webb/Frerking worked one half of the field while Keyton/Nimrod/Miller worked the other."

:(
That and "Jimmy Calloway cut one route short and couldn't complete a catch in the back of the end zone. Joe Milton III had nice touch on one throw that landed out of Warren's reach. Freshman wideout Kaleb Webb had a drop that led to him doing push-ups as punishment. " has me a little concerned about WR after Tillman and QB past Hooker...

"Jimmy Calloway cut one route short and couldn't complete a catch in the back of the end zone. Joe Milton III had nice touch on one throw that landed out of Warren's reach. Freshman wideout Kaleb Webb had a drop that led to him doing push-ups as punishment."

I am confused, how could it have been a nice touch if it landed outside of Warren's reach.

"Jimmy Calloway cut one route short and couldn't complete a catch in the back of the end zone. Joe Milton III had nice touch on one throw that landed out of Warren's reach. Freshman wideout Kaleb Webb had a drop that led to him doing push-ups as punishment."

I am confused, how could it have been a nice touch if it landed outside of Warren's reach.

Sounds like typical Joe.....

Because he didn’t throw it into the 5th row.

Small was hurt a lot last season and now in spring. Not sure he can be counted on as an every game back. Just seems to be injury prone.

Small was hurt a lot last season and now in spring. Not sure he can be counted on as an every game back. Just seems to be injury prone.
I'm not positive that they aren't just resting some of the upperclassmen to an extent. Tillman out, Fant out, Small out. I think they are telling them if you feel any kind of discomfort, just take some time off, as playing through it right now isn't going to help us long term. Getting more injured right now might hurt us though.

Can someone please enlighten me on the spring game situation? I know they said we wouldn't be doing the Orange & White game right but are we doing a closed scrimmage with media present or anything of that nature? I forgot the details.

We're one bad hooker injury away from being in big trouble so I'm glad to see Jackson getting some reps.I know Milton is next man up but I don't have faith that he can successfully carry this team.Lord knows I hope he improved but I'd rather bet my chips on Jackson if that situation arises and Milton performs like last year.

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty poor practice overall.

I'm excited for the Byron Young, Roman Harrison, Tyler Barron. Hopefully we can add a transfer to the group, but I think they have the potential to put a lot of grass stains on QB uniforms.

Nice way of saying he over threw it! Probably only by 30 yards as opposed to the normal 50

giphy.gif

We're one bad hooker injury away from being in big trouble so I'm glad to see Jackson getting some reps.I know Milton is next man up but I don't have faith that he can successfully carry this team.Lord knows I hope he improved but I'd rather bet my chips on Jackson if that situation arises and Milton performs like last year.

If Jackson, a true freshman, is better than Joe Milton.. at this point, Milton is wasting a roster spot. He’s got to be somewhat improved. He has tools to work with.

Reactions: pimo1 and walkenvol
Bad Hookers often lead to being in big trouble.

Bad Hookers often lead to being in big trouble.

VN Store

Back