Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what I just found! A 1939 article from Life magazine titled "Life goes to a Football Game to watch Tennessee trounce Alabama and take a look at George Cafego"

View attachment 444804
My grandmother said he was such a nice guy……..but “I would not want to ever get on his bad side.”

Anyone know what the plans are for the 60 million they're putting into the baseball stadium?

I looked into this earlier and for $60 million from what I could find you can build a brand new college baseball stadium. Kentucky broke ground on their new baseball park in March 2017 and opened it in February 2019. With a capacity of 5,000 the construction cost was reported at $49 million. I found other examples so the industry average suggests we should pretty much get a brand new park for that much money. I think White even suggested we could spend more. Coach V wants more capacity among other things.

I looked at the layout of our current stadium and I think if we build on the current location we have to move some roads, at least one. At a glance it looks like it could be done.

Anyhow, since I had the same question you had, I looked into it as best I could and came away thinking we're probably building a new ball park. The only question I have is whether we stay at the current location or build somewhere else. jmo.

I don't know how hard it would be politically but I'd vote to rearrange the roads and keep the same location. jmo.

edit to add current layout from Bing Maps:

ScreenHunter 834.png

edit the second to add link to baseball forum discussion of earlier renovations ideas from the prior leadership of the athletic department. The original plans appeared to be limited to spending $6.8 million but apparently White thinks differently, sort of like, either go big or go home. jmo.

The last page of the thread has some good discussion about the new direction but I guess final plans aren't out yet. jmo.

56.8 million proposed budget for LNS renovations

Last edited:
I looked into this earlier and for $60 million from what I could find you can build a brand new college baseball stadium. Kentucky broke ground on their new baseball park in March 2017 and opened it in February 2019. With a capacity of 5,000 the construction cost was reported at $49 million. I found other examples so the industry average suggests we should pretty much get a brand new park for that much money. I think White even suggested we could spend more. Coach V wants more capacity among other things.

I looked at the layout of our current stadium and I think if we build on the current location we have to move some roads, at least one. At a glance it looks like it could be done.

Anyhow, since I had the same question you had, I looked into it as best I could and came away thinking we're probably building a new ball park. The only question I have is whether we stay at the current location or build somewhere else. jmo.

I don't know how hard it would be politically but I'd vote to rearrange the roads and keep the same location. jmo.

I was wondering the same. That kind of money seems to be new ball park money but where are they going to put it?

Is the new smokies stadium still going downtown? I remember there were talks of using it but I think that fell through because Tony wanted the stadium on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back