LSU to hire Matt McMahon: Tigers program turns to Murray State coach after firing Will Wade

Cronin moved to Cincy first, not a P5 school. He matured more there before UCLA. Murray is a very small town and lower mid major conference. It’s a better step than most realize.
Cincinnati was in the Big East when Cronin was hired. And that’s when the Big East still had Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and ND. I think that qualifies as P5.

Reactions: pricevol5
Cincinnati was in the Big East when Cronin was hired. And that’s when the Big East still had Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and ND. I think that qualifies as P5.

It’s not P5. ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC & PAC 10 are P5. Granted Big East is a great Bb conference but they’re not P5. But I’ll give you Cronin. He is an exception.

What about Scott Edgar, Tevester Anderson, Billy Kennedy? Kennedy did get sick but he was struggling before then. I’ll add the failures of Godfried & Prohm to state my case. They’ve all moved on and they failed.

It’s not P5. ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC & PAC 10 are P5. Granted Big East is a great Bb conference but they’re not P5. But I’ll give you Cronin. He is an exception.

What about Scott Edgar, Tevester Anderson, Billy Kennedy? Kennedy did get sick but he was struggling before then. I’ll add the failures of Godfried & Prohm to state my case. They’ve all moved on and they failed.
Kennedy was diagnosed with Parkinson’s before his first season at A&M even started. There’s no way of knowing how much impact that had on his time in College Station.

He’s still coaching.
Yes I know, but That does nothing to counter my point that a man being diagnosed with Parkinson’s before he coached his first game at his new program might have greatly affected his ability to be successful. Like there were times when he would have to go days without being able to be at practice. He wasn’t able to go to some AAU tournaments or see a prospect play in a high school game. Maybe he still would have flamed out if he hadn’t gotten sick, but we don’t know that.

Last edited:
Makes sense for LSU.

Not sure I'd want to walk into that if I were McMahon, though. Could easily be a career killer right now.
probably made him a strong ass offer.

Seriously, though, you guys arguing about whether being at Murray state has magical powers to determine future coaching success all need a psychiatrist. You're giving "delusions on the internet" a bad name here.

probably made him a strong ass offer.

Seriously, though, you guys arguing about whether being at Murray state has magical powers to determine future coaching success all need a psychiatrist. You're giving "delusions on the internet" a bad name here.
No but it’s a prime mid major gig as it’s a clear stepping stone to high major jobs

Back then the Big East was a BCS conference and there were 6 of them not just the 5 we have today.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Shouldn't be an issue for Peay anymore. The Racers are heading to the Missouri Valley and y'all are joining Eastern KY and Jacksonville St. in the ASUN. Good luck to all.
I know.......But the rivalry is going to continue. They plan on playing each other each season. I hope it continues. It is a great "small school" rivalry.

The hate is real........for both schools.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Back then the Big East was a BCS conference and there were 6 of them not just the 5 we have today.

and I conceded Cronin to Cincy. That was one. I listed the others that may have won for awhile but didn’t last and that was my point. The list goes back a long way. It also goes back a long way for Western Ky coaches who moved up but didn’t last long. And Davis at Ole Miss is fortunate he wasn’t fired this year. I think OM decided to wait a year with so many other SEC jobs open (smart move). It’s a big step from mid major to big time.

I know.......But the rivalry is going to continue. They plan on playing each other each season. I hope it continues. It is a great "small school" rivalry.

The hate is real........for both schools.
I would never have known that on your end, lol ;)

In the 70s and early 80s growing up in Paris, Murray's biggest rivalries were with Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky (before WKU left the OVC in 1982 for the Sun Belt). Peay seemed to step into Western's spot in the major rivals department, although I'm sure the animosity was already there. I still don't like WKU or EKU in much the same way that you feel about Murray. My dislike regarding Clarksville is geared much more toward their high schools than toward Peay because of long-standing rivalries between Henry County and Clarksville High, Clarksville Northwest and Clarksville Northeast. I remember Peay had a basketball player named "Fly" Williams in the mid-70s that was really good, although I believe he was more of a headache off the floor than he was on it. Murray had a guy like that in the late 80s--early 90s named Frank Allen.

All they could do? McMahon is probably the biggest up and comer name out there. What big names are even out there on the market?
Well, if he’s the “biggest up and comer out there” and no big names are available, doesn’t that mean he’s about the best they could do? Don’t know any other way to put it.

Reactions: EasternVol
Well, if he’s the “biggest up and comer out there” and no big names are available, doesn’t that mean he’s about the best they could do? Don’t know any other way to put it.
“probably all they could do” was your quote. that implies bad hire and/or settling. They have one of the best hires so far. Xavier gambling on Sean Miller being safe is probably the only better hire.

Reactions: volfanhill
Good hire of an up and comer. He won 30 games this year, just ran into a hot St. Peter's.

I would never have known that on your end, lol ;)

In the 70s and early 80s growing up in Paris, Murray's biggest rivalries were with Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky (before WKU left the OVC in 1982 for the Sun Belt). Peay seemed to step into Western's spot in the major rivals department, although I'm sure the animosity was already there. I still don't like WKU or EKU in much the same way that you feel about Murray. My dislike regarding Clarksville is geared much more toward their high schools than toward Peay because of long-standing rivalries between Henry County and Clarksville High, Clarksville Northwest and Clarksville Northeast. I remember Peay had a basketball player named "Fly" Williams in the mid-70s that was really good, although I believe he was more of a headache off the floor than he was on it. Murray had a guy like that in the late 80s--early 90s named Frank Allen.

Nice to see a fellow Parisian/Henry Countian on here. We're a rare breed, even on these internets.

You a Murray State guy? Bethel Wildcat here. Always a Patriot though, even over here by Nashville!

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
LSU has lost 15 players including recruits since the allegations were announced.
Aw that's really sad for poor LSU; they've got such a huge mess to clean. That's what they get putting money above ethics and keeping Wade around when they knew beyond doubt he was cheating his ass off.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back