Tennessee Lady Vol News

I missed the game had a dinner appointment that had to attend.How did Pissott do ?
I didn't see the first quarter, did see Pissott go 1-4 from deep in the rest of the game. Her East team won 95-75.

East standouts were Kiki Rice, Talaysia Cooper, Janiah Barker, Taniya Latson and Chance Gray. Dariana Little Page Buggs had a good game for the West. Lauren Betts will be a handful going against on defense.

Lots of talent in this class IMO.

I didn't see the first quarter, did see Pissott go 1-4 from deep in the rest of the game. Her East team won 95-75.

East standouts were Kiki Rice, Talaysia Cooper, Janiah Barker, Taniya Latson and Chance Gray. Dariana Little Page Buggs had a good game for the West. Lauren Betts will be a handful going against on defense.

Thanks.

Forget Gabriela Jaquez, who was the West MVP. UCLA had both of the game MVPs. Never seen that before (I also am not a huge fan of each team having an MVP)...

I don’t say this to be hateful, but you notice…not a single mention of Mr. Harper. I’ve said it before but I feel like he’s a net negative for our recruiting. Seems like a super genuine, nice guy, but doesn’t seem to identify with the players much.

Still think he should Mr. Mom his way out of it and be the coolest damn dad ever. We could use another strong face on the recruiting trail. These days all coaches recruit and the more and better the better off you are. Saw lots of teams missing an assistant here and there who was off recruiting.

On what basis do you say he is a negative for recruiting? A feeling? On what do you base the notion that he doesn't identify with the players much?

Reactions: glv98 and mlindsay
I don’t say this to be hateful, but you notice…not a single mention of Mr. Harper. I’ve said it before but I feel like he’s a net negative for our recruiting. Seems like a super genuine, nice guy, but doesn’t seem to identify with the players much.

Still think he should Mr. Mom his way out of it and be the coolest damn dad ever. We could use another strong face on the recruiting trail. These days all coaches recruit and the more and better the better off you are. Saw lots of teams missing an assistant here and there who was off recruiting.
Totally agree! Was surprised that Fullmer agreed to that Staff arrangement. Perhaps a coaching position with a high school girl’s team. All that I have ever seen him do is carry a clipboard. Thought that some time ago that he was supposed to be coaching and working with Key in the paint. If so, we all see the results of that!

I asked this question and got crushed. Then I was told he was responsible for Key's triple doubles and KK's resurgence last season. And then I was told he doesn't even work with post players anymore.

Even Kellie doesn't know what purpose Mr. Jolly serves...

I missed the game had a dinner appointment that had to attend.How did Pissott do ?

I stopped counting her bricks, but the best shooter of the class who is gonna start next year finished around 1-5 or 1-6.

Does Tennessee really have no shot at Barker? What a great talent...

Reactions: vettefool
Totally agree! Was surprised that Fullmer agreed to that Staff arrangement. Perhaps a coaching position with a high school girl’s team. All that I have ever seen him do is carry a clipboard. Thought that some time ago that he was supposed to be coaching and working with Key in the paint. If so, we all see the results of that!
We sure do. The all-time leading shot blocker in Lady Vol history. Considering the amount of All - American post players that have played that position for the Lady Vols, that is an amazing stat for a 47th ranked post player out of high school.

I stopped counting her bricks, but the best shooter of the class who is gonna start next year finished around 1-5 or 1-6.

Does Tennessee really have no shot at Barker? What a great talent...

I watched just the parts of the game where Justine was in.

From what I saw she was 1-6 on three pointers with one of them not even hitting the rim and barely hitting the backboard. She missed at least two other shots, one right at the basket. The other one she missed was tough because she had stolen the ball on the inbounds but was trapped on the baseline with no one coming to help --- so she tried to shoot it and got stuffed by the bottom of the backboard. Better play there was probably to try to bounce the ball OOB off the other player.

She also had the ball stripped when she drove into the lane, and fumbled a pass for a another turnover.

On the positive side, she had a couple of nice assists and got a couple of rebounds and a steal. Honestly though, her passing looked like the best part of her game tonight.

Physically, she is very slightly built so she is not going to bang in the low post or be much help there --- very much a weight room project and definitely not a 4. She didn't look 6' 4" like some have said, but there were a lot of tall players out there so it was hard to judge. She has long arms though which are helpful on defense and seems to have OK instincts. But her first step is slow and she isn't going to match up well on quick guards. She will have to depend on her length to recover. Physical players will probably also give her trouble.

Just watching her demeanor and how she interacted with her teammates and fed them the ball, I think she will be a good team player.

It is hard to tell a lot from one game, and an all-star game at that, but those are my impressions from the first time seeing her play on something other than a highlight reel.

I would be really interested to see what percentage she shot from three in high school because it usually gets worse in college once better defensive players get on you. And her shot is one that needs a little room to get off. The announcers and coaches always praise her distance shooting so I would like to think she is normally pretty accurate, but I seem to remember her high school stats being good, but not stellar. Those were posted before so someone can dig them up if they are interested.

Just as a general observation of the game, this did not look like the most talented bunch of all-stars I have seen play in the McD. And apparently, free throw shooting is a lost art now even in the women's game where fundamentals like that were once well honed. Grey and Barker looked like good players, but I only focused on our recruit and fast forwarded through the stretches where Justine was out.

and fumbled a pass for a another turnover.

I saw that pass, and it was thrown at her feet. Not her fault it was a TO. Bad pass.

She looked good on defense, but seems to decline to want to rebound. At 6-4, she needs to rebound. She's got a smooth stroke but needs room to get it off. Doesn't shoot it from a high position. Hence her range to get the shot off before the closeout. She isn't a fast runner but isn't a lumberer, either. She gets her shot off quickly, but doesn't seem to possess a lot of quickness in her movements. She needs to become a rebounder, so that implies an increase in strength and positional awareness down low. She seems to have positional awareness. I think she'll start out at the 3 and eventually become a 4.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Justine did not shoot well, but I thought she played OK otherwise. I think her plus/minus would be OK, but I can't find any stats online; does anyone know where they are posted?
Here's the best I can do. A screenshot. Barker played very well, and since she's now available again, would be a great get for anybody.
Screenshot_20220330-012616_Chrome.jpg

I saw that pass, and it was thrown at her feet. Not her fault it was a TO. Bad pass.

She's got a smooth stroke but needs room to get it off. Doesn't shoot it from a high position. Hence her range to get the shot off before the closeout.

I got jumped all over for pointing out the same things about her form when we first recruited her. There was really only one girl who I noticed had a high release on the three ball in that all-star game and she was short so it may have been of necessity, but someone worked with her to develop it. A good, high release point just doesn't seem to be emphasized in the women's game as much as the men's.

I had a chance to look up Justine's high school stats and she was 38% from three for her career. That would be an improvement for us, but the last time I looked at a UConn roster they were all shooting over 40% from three except for a couple of players. That wasn't this year though since I don't regularly go pawing through their stats. It just shows the standard we are chasing.

The only thing I disagree with you about is her eventually becoming a four. She just doesn't have the frame for it. You can play her there, but she would get bounced around in the SEC. Striplin is much more solidly built and she had a hard time playing down low with how physical things are. But you should be able to post Justine up against other team's guards.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Here's the best I can do. A screenshot. Barker played very well, and since she's now available again, would be a great get for anybody.
View attachment 443589

They missed one of the shots Justine took, and they must have agreed with Al that the pass she didn't catch wasn't a turnover due to her. Justine had the second best ATO ratio just behind the premiere point guard so at least that much is encouraging. She filled out her stat line pretty well across the board except when it came to shooting.

LOTS of talent, for sure. The best of high school basketball players now are far more athletic and talented than the best of graduating seniors of the best college teams from back in the day.

I really liked what I saw in Pissott despite the cold shooting day. I can tell she's a smart kid; she has great court awareness. She is also a much better defensive player, ball handler and passer than I expected for some reason, so that was a nice surprise.

We Lady Vol supporters are in for a treat with this one. Can't wait to see her in orange!

P.S. Future UGA player Janiah Barker is quite a player, but she got herself yanked from the game by being silly, laying on the floor on the end of the court to get attention after a play. She's a real "character." Kids. Lol

Last edited:
Rice is a talent for sure, but she didn't seem to get the memo that the purpose of an all-star game is not to be a personal showcase of her talents. It seemed that others started following her lead and doing the solo thing.

Justine moved well, was very confident handling the ball and dishing out assists. All but one of her shots looked good although they weren't falling. Announcers said she was generally acknowledged as the best shooter there.

I asked this question and got crushed. Then I was told he was responsible for Key's triple doubles and KK's resurgence last season. And then I was told he doesn't even work with post players anymore.

Even Kellie doesn't know what purpose Mr. Jolly serves...
It's Mr.Harper...and he would probably stomp your face..

VN Store

Back