Butthurt Bama Fan on UT Recruiting

Lots of discussion about that.

Here's how I would structure an NIL deal to a particular athlete. His deliverables would include having a name, image, and/or likeness value without a particular market (geographic region). You would probably have to offer some kind of minimum "retainer" that prevented the athlete from signing with another group for some specified period and terms. So what you would see is maybe a $300K annual payment (like he's apparently getting now) with opportunities to represent the client companies working with Spyre IF your NIL value warrants it. Pretty obviously if he doesn't play for UT and doesn't perform well then the variable pay won't be there.

I don't think that Spyre is handing out money and saying "we hope you consider playing at UT". I think they have provided themselves with some contractual protection that goes well beyond that.

I would think they would have a contract that is signed by both parties that outlines expectations for monetary payments. But, there needs to be an oversite of the whole NIL process

NIL is the best way to drive corruption out of College Athletics. Paying players under the table was considered the norm. Was every player getting a cut from every program?
Remember the fiasco regarding Cam Newton? He, or someone in his family/posse received something approaching a half-million from Auburn, according to a coach from Mississippi State. The whole thing sounded like Cam Newton or someone in his family was paid by Mississippi State and then Auburn outbid them. Ah, the good ole' days.

That was pretty funny. I especially liked the parable of Bear Bryant and the paid-off recruit. Such important lessons to learn from the Gospel According to Bear 😂
That was my favorite part. Somebody needs to tell these clowns that Dodge Chargers and $1,000 handshakes are a thing of the past.
We’ve moved on to G wagons and million$!
GBO!!

Reactions: Elhanan
Very soon this will be old news. It’s high school free agency and all will be forgotten when Arch inks his $10 million deal.
GBO!!

Reactions: Wireless1
I would think they would have a contract that is signed by both parties that outlines expectations for monetary payments. But, there needs to be an oversite of the whole NIL process
I am unsure which would be worse. The NCAA's job was to provide oversight and they never did anything but punish those who self-policed or got caught. If they didn't cause corruption then they at least facilitated.

Hate to say it because I LOATH federal intervention in almost everything... but about the only way to have that oversight in a way that is somewhat even handed is to create a charter by federal law like that of the NFL.... then you are talking about a pretty massive and expensive bureaucracy and then the left's imposition of their notion of "fairness" on everything.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I guess that would make Bama #2. Sad considering how long they've been paying players. We're relatively new to this.

Reactions: onevol74
Albert Means didn't get the cash but Bama booster (and convicted federal money launderer) Logan Young shelled out $150,000 to a Mempis HS coach to get Means to sign with Bama.

It's okay to make it rain cash on coaches but not players?

If Arch Manning commits to Bama (fingers crossed he doesn't) this writer will tear an ACL back tracking so fast.

Reactions: dovervolz
This article has already been given a thread for discussion (look for the "Butthurt Bama Fan" thread). Maybe just merge this with that.

Reactions: Elhanan
We offered him $8 million, while I’m glad we got him, I do hate this overall. NIL is supposed to be so players can earn from their Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to be used to “purchase” players.

If it works for us, I’m more ok with it, but I just can’t get my head around offering a kid who hasn’t even stepped on campus yet, $8 million dollars in prearranged funding

We offered him $8 million, while I’m glad we got him, I do hate this overall. NIL is supposed to be so players can earn from their Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to be used to “purchase” players.

If it works for us, I’m more ok with it, but I just can’t get my head around offering a kid who hasn’t even stepped on campus yet, $8 million dollars in prearranged funding
If UT didn't ante-up some body else would have. I'd just as soon be us than them.

That's the funny part about this. Anybody with a clue knows what has been happening in recruiting for 40 years. It's comical that it's now an issue for some people AFTER a legal avenue has opened up for everybody to do the same thing.

But that is exactly what is happening. Spyre is simply a sports marketing firm and part of their business is connecting players with opportunities to earn money from NIL.

You say they are "purchasing players." I say they are investing in players. Elite recruits like Nico draw other elite recruits. Those elite recruits collectively make UT football better. And the better UT football is, the more money Spyre stands to make.

Very soon this will be old news. It’s high school free agency and all will be forgotten when Arch inks his $10 million deal.
GBO!!
He probably could get it since he has the advantaging of his last name being Manning. Him doing commercials with his family will probably a thing.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
So to summarize:
It is bad business to be an intelligent first mover when a legitimate opportunity comes along. This is because Alabama doesn’t need to measure itself against anyone, and a few players who Bear Bryant (who definitely cleaned up his act long before coaching Bama…wink…wink) unethically paid quit on him. I must say this is damn fine journalism for an Alabama native.

VN Store

Back