Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

I do have a question for the ones that are trying to tell us what Kellie should be doing, do any of you have access to practices?!

I’m curious as into how you all know Kellie isn’t disciplining the team already because of turnovers and they just aren’t responding?

The problem is, we haven’t been able to recruit an elite point guard, and until that happens, we’ll continue to have a problem with turnovers.

Holly went 19-13 (7-9) her final year. Went 22-14 (8-8) another year. She finished T-7th, 5th, T-4th, T-8th after Pat’s recruits left. Kellie has finished no worse than T-3rd her first two seasons and is 1GB of 1st place currently.

The main post from Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska(clearly Boston and Lee as well)have plays run for them and also have post moves. An actual step through traffic and a bank in shot off the backboard. Key has games shooting 4 or 5 shots total. That is just a red flag for me. Key doesn't get enough touches, shot attempts, and rarely gets good passes thrown into her from the guards even in good post position. What gives? It's maddening having so much height and not using the advantage offensively. Outside of just rebound put backs, or layups UT really doesn't have inside plays for their post players.

I do have a question for the ones that are trying to tell us what Kellie should be doing, do any of you have access to practices?!

I’m curious as into how you all know Kellie isn’t disciplining the team already because of turnovers and they just aren’t responding?

The problem is, we haven’t been able to recruit an elite point guard, and until that happens, we’ll continue to have a problem with turnovers.

We fans can only judge what we see during the game. Whatever direct knowledge you have of what goes on in practice discipline-wise please share it.

The perception of Kellie as a player's coach is well earned and welcomed by everybody, me included. KH kept her cool as a star PG on national championship teams and she has that same calm demeanor on the sideline as a HC. She does, however, get pretty animated sometimes with the refs when they blow a call, right? Why not direct a fraction of that animation at a player's blown assignment or bonehead play? It appears - appears, mind you, that she remains passive to the things you and I are gnashing our teeth over as we watch.

If as you say the team is getting what they need in practice and just aren't responding come gametime - maybe there needs to be more corrective action in real time.

I whole heartly disagree. The Loss to Vanderbilt in Thompson Boiling Arena to last place Vanderbilt in 2018-2019 was much worse of a loss and Florida is actually receiving top 25 votes and has already knocked off 4 other ranked teams.
It's not my opinion. It was the largest margin of victory against an unranked team. In LV history.

Reactions: lfvol and mcannon1

Does it matter? Whatever she's doing or not doing certainly isn't working is it? I was afraid that we'd hire another former LV and turn a blind eye to the actual job she's doing. Recruiting is subpar. On court performances are lackluster. I don't need to hear about the record. That 22nd ranked sos takes care of that. It's frustrating for sure.

So Holly, was always a top one to three recruiter, Dean taught Glory to stay in a game, and Mercedes. Kellie's staff can't keep Key in game. Kellie can't recruit point guards, or coach one up, that can bring the ball up court. I'm sorry but no, they suck, Miles has promise, but Horston, a Holly recruit, is only one who can. She's a point guard Hall of famer, and she has nobody but, what Holly left her who can actually bring the ball up, Horston. I love Kelly.Kelly, I think she's a good coach. I think she needs to fire herw entire staff!
One they can't recruit! We are Auburn after what Holly left us, and the second they just can't coach.
But, what the hell was this game tonight? Frankly, no Holly team looked this bad, at this point, ever, granted she was arguably one of the top two best recruiters in the country, but seriously what the heck was what we saw on the court today? I don't think we even deserve to host sweet 16 games! I don't think we're going to win our first game in the SSC tournament with what I saw tonight. Ray Burrell is a great player, but she need to be rained in as I've always said, she plays a different tempo from the rest of the team, and that's not on Holly, she brought in a great talent ( including Horston to Key to Burrell, Hayes, Green, and Westbrook). Not on Ray, she's brilliant. And we cannot ask Jordan Horton, to bring the ball up everytime, and do something. And what has Kelly recruited... A bunch of guards, she hasn't coached up, and she was an all American Guard, that can't bring the ball up yet... This is a guard that used to face against Latte from North Carolina, but she can't teach a guard to bring the ball up court? I don't know where we're going with this team, we could be going up... we could go down. This is the lowest point in her coaching career, she appears list, her staff inadequate. I point this out, because, this team is way better than what doing, then their going to be ranked. I doubt we win two games in the SEC tournament. If we beat UConn, and , seriously, there's no reason we shouldn't, unless Kelly can't out coach, Gino who's lost it and a team that just didn't know how to play together, kind of like what we've got right now, bad and we got better disenfranchised don't know how to play together aren't coached well. Together aren't coached well. Missing something? Just combobulated talent, that holly left us mind you, and Uconn sucks, we might stay in the top 16.. We don't deserve to be, we really don't. We were such an inferior team on the court as tonight. Holly, regularly beat Miss St and SC at this time of season. we get what we wish for...this team is lost, Key is lost Rae is half way gone, and after Jordan...Holly level talent is a dteam
Take a hike.

The last statement about point guard ……. It’s so obvious!

Jordan Horston ….. is not a Point Guard !

Jordan Walker ….,,, is a two guard playing point!

Miles …..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is a 3 star ⭐️ point guard

This is why we fail ……. End of Story ! 😱

Are we finally admitting that elite recruits win games?

Miles has been a nice option as a backup, but if she's Tennessee's PG of the future, then the team will struggle mightily. Her game is far too limited.

I hope Kellie is able to reel in a solid, experienced PG for next season, because otherwise it's Miles and probably a combination of Horston/Wynn...which will not be to Tennessee's advantage.

Miles has been a nice option as a backup, but if she's Tennessee's PG of the future, then the team will struggle mightily. Her game is far too limited.

I hope Kellie is able to reel in a solid, experienced PG for next season, because otherwise it's Miles and probably a combination of Horston/Wynn...which will not be to Tennessee's advantage.
I read your stance but kind of disagree, we played against a 3 star PG last night and she dropped 25 points on us! I get the desire for elite recruits, if you can ball you can ball. Miles game is limited because she limits herself at times. She rarely looks to attack the basket and when she's open she wont take the shot. Players can be developed as we have seen 5 star recruits over the years who haven't panned out. If a player wants to get better they will do what it takes to get there along with being put in the position to be successful if they put in the work.

So Holly, was always a top one to three recruiter, Dean taught Glory to stay in a game, and Mercedes. Kellie's staff can't keep Key in game. Kellie can't recruit point guards, or coach one up, that can bring the ball up court. I'm sorry but no, they suck, Miles has promise, but Horston, a Holly recruit, is only one who can. She's a point guard Hall of famer, and she has nobody but, what Holly left her who can actually bring the ball up, Horston. I love Kelly.Kelly, I think she's a good coach. I think she needs to fire herw entire staff!
One they can't recruit! We are Auburn after what Holly left us, and the second they just can't coach.
But, what the hell was this game tonight? Frankly, no Holly team looked this bad, at this point, ever, granted she was arguably one of the top two best recruiters in the country, but seriously what the heck was what we saw on the court today? I don't think we even deserve to host sweet 16 games! I don't think we're going to win our first game in the SSC tournament with what I saw tonight. Ray Burrell is a great player, but she need to be rained in as I've always said, she plays a different tempo from the rest of the team, and that's not on Holly, she brought in a great talent ( including Horston to Key to Burrell, Hayes, Green, and Westbrook). Not on Ray, she's brilliant. And we cannot ask Jordan Horton, to bring the ball up everytime, and do something. And what has Kelly recruited... A bunch of guards, she hasn't coached up, and she was an all American Guard, that can't bring the ball up yet... This is a guard that used to face against Latte from North Carolina, but she can't teach a guard to bring the ball up court? I don't know where we're going with this team, we could be going up... we could go down. This is the lowest point in her coaching career, she appears list, her staff inadequate. I point this out, because, this team is way better than what doing, then their going to be ranked. I doubt we win two games in the SEC tournament. If we beat UConn, and , seriously, there's no reason we shouldn't, unless Kelly can't out coach, Gino who's lost it and a team that just didn't know how to play together, kind of like what we've got right now, bad and we got better disenfranchised don't know how to play together aren't coached well. Together aren't coached well. Missing something? Just combobulated talent, that holly left us mind you, and Uconn sucks, we might stay in the top 16.. We don't deserve to be, we really don't. We were such an inferior team on the court as tonight. Holly, regularly beat Miss St and SC at this time of season. we get what we wish for...this team is lost, Key is lost Rae is half way gone, and after Jordan...Holly level talent is a dteam
What the F$$$?? LOL!

I've been beating this drum for a while. Point guard play was bad last season, and Kellie really did nothing to address it in the offseason. She's paying the price now...

When Pat Summitt lost her first 'important' game to Mercer University she called home and spoke with her father. After telling her father that her team lost, he said "You don't take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You better get yourself some race horses." After that Summitt focused tremendously on getting top talent to Tennessee. In fact, Summitt herself said "You win in life with people. It's all about the people you surround yourself with, and what they bring to the game. It's a team and they have to do it together."

Now, in no way am I referencing our players as 'donkeys' - we have some good players. But if you want to be Elite, you have to recruit Elite players who know what it means to play together as a TEAM. This coaching staff needs to get more elite players and to do that, you've got to win the games you're supposed to and get a few upsets along the way. Your play needs to inspire recruits to want to come play for a coach like that. Do you think Rick Barnes doesn't get after his players during a game? Do you forget how Pat used to get after players during a game? I haven't seen any of that this year.

Miles has been a nice option as a backup, but if she's Tennessee's PG of the future, then the team will struggle mightily. Her game is far too limited
You think Miles has hit her ceiling? I was hoping she could still improve, she's very young.
I've been beating this drum for a while. Point guard play was bad last season, and Kellie really did nothing to address it in the offseason. She's paying the price now...
Did nothing to address sounds like didn't know, didn't try. It was probably more like "was not able to successfully address". Top notch PGs don't grow on trees and the LVs were not exactly a destination spot. If we don't tank too badly right here maybe she'll be in a better position to grab one. Sure hope so because that is the position where all the dominos start falling.

Losing Dean is under appreciated to what he did in his time here.

Recruiting, coaching, chemistry/effort: three components of winning basketball. Right now Kellie is failing on all. She needs to show dramatic improvement soon or she needs to go. I hope she can do it, but it's not looking good at this point.

What disturbs me is they way these players are treated...they are coddled, everything is presented from an 'it's ok, you'll do better next time' perspective. Maybe it's just the way things are now in this day and age. Even when Holly's teams were under performing, they had their locker room privileges taken away for a week or two until they were able to get their heads out of their azzes, and I HATED the Holly hire from the beginning. Time for Kellie to put on her big girl's pants and motivate these young ladies to work harder and constantly strive to be better without the 'butterflies and rainbows' approach. Kick their butts by making them run, sit their butts on the bench when the make stupid turnovers in the game, and set a culture where less than 100% effort is not tolerated.

Every time there's a turnover in practice, that person needs to take a couple of laps. Set the tone early that this is a historic program and an honor to wear the jersey. If you can't take some tough coaching, then you need to find somewhere else to play!

Yep, and a public beating would set this team right!!! My gosh, under CPS when I posting on the Summitt, the LVs had more than their share of games that were marred by TOs and missed bunnies. Nikki Anosike was plagued by that her whole carrier. Candace's first season, the team was a giant TO fest. And many were had the solution - If Coach Summitt would just be tougher and would make the team run till they PUKE!!! then they would not make these mistakes!!! Honestly, making this demand for a team that looks mentally and physically run down makes no sense. I understand fans get made at watching the team they follow make these kind of errors and they want someone PUNISHED!!!! but that is not the solution. They don't need to spend to doing disciplinary sprints. They need to be working on better schemes for breaking a press.

Last edited:
Did nothing to address sounds like didn't know, didn't try. It was probably more like "was not able to successfully address". Top notch PGs don't grow on trees and the LVs were not exactly a destination spot. If we don't tank too badly right here maybe she'll be in a better position to grab one. Sure hope so because that is the position where all the dominos start falling.

She's had two offseasons now to address the problem, and unfortunately when it comes to recruiting there are no points for trying...

1Dv5.gif

Yep, and a public beating would set this team right!!! My gosh, under CPS when I posting on the Summitt, the LVs had more than their share of games that were marred by TOs and missed bunnies. Nikki Anosike was plagued by that her whole carrier. Candace's first season, the team was a giant TO fest. And many were had the solution - If Coach Summitt would just be tougher and would make the team run till they PUKE!!! then they would not make these mistakes!!! Honestly, making this demand for a team that looks mentally and physically run down makes no sense. I understand fans get made at watching the team they follow make these kind of errors and they want someone PUNISHED!!!! but that is not the solution. They don't need to spend to doing disciplinary sprints. They need to be working on better schemes for breaking a press.

Maybe you choose live in this "WOKE" era, where players and students aren't responsible for anything. Yes, Pat had some games that were tough, inexcusable losses, but she NEVER coddled her team like we see coaches doing in this 'it's not my fault' era. And let me ask you, if coaches can hold players responsible in the men's game, why not the women's? We're not talking about killing these kids, but we are talking about holding them accountable. If a player makes consecutive turnovers in a game, why not let them ride the pine for a few minutes until they can compose themselves?

Pat was a MASTER at motivation, without everything being all unicorns, rainbows, and bunny farts. Do you think there wasn't anything behind her stare? I've been watching the LVs since 1980 and throughout her tenure as coach, not once do I ever recall her making excuses or saying "I don't know why we....."

If it is an issue with schemes, breaking a press, dribbling the ball, or making free throws, it's a shared responsibility of the coaches and the players. If the coaches can't scheme or can't identify the strengths/weaknesses of their players and adjust to win games, then they get fired. If players can't work to improve their ball handling, free throw shooting, or execution of the schemes, then they should be held accountable too - whether that's some loss of playing time or some extra conditioning work. The point is, there's no excuse to have a lack of motivation or a lack of effort at this level. You want to dial it in, then go play or coach for Pelissippi State..

And who said make someone run until they puke? I don't know about you, but I actually had a scholarship to play sports in college, and yes my coach ran us until some did puke. I never said that! But sometimes you have to do things (within reason of course) to get players' attention and let them know you are holding them accountable.

You and I have never had beef on here before and I've actually agreed with most of your posts, so I'm not trying to call you out. I'm just saying that sometimes a coach has to show some tough love to get their players to respond...

She's had two offseasons now to address the problem, and unfortunately when it comes to recruiting there are no points for trying...

1Dv5.gif
If not for the current dysfunction, Kellie was probably in really good shape to get some upgraded talent from the portal. Hopefully she rights the ship so that she doesn't get dismissed as "Holly 2.0". This is where a good SECT/NCAAT run becomes essential.

Maybe you choose live in this "WOKE" era, where players and students aren't responsible for anything. Yes, Pat had some games that were tough, inexcusable losses, but she NEVER coddled her team like we see coaches doing in this 'it's not my fault' era. And let me ask you, if coaches can hold players responsible in the men's game, why not the women's? We're not talking about killing these kids, but we are talking about holding them accountable. If a player makes consecutive turnovers in a game, why not let them ride the pine for a few minutes until they can compose themselves?

Pat was a MASTER at motivation, without everything being all unicorns, rainbows, and bunny farts. Do you think there wasn't anything behind her stare? I've been watching the LVs since 1980 and throughout her tenure as coach, not once do I ever recall her making excuses or saying "I don't know why we....."

If it is an issue with schemes, breaking a press, dribbling the ball, or making free throws, it's a shared responsibility of the coaches and the players. If the coaches can't scheme or can't identify the strengths/weaknesses of their players and adjust to win games, then they get fired. If players can't work to improve their ball handling, free throw shooting, or execution of the schemes, then they should be held accountable too - whether that's some loss of playing time or some extra conditioning work. The point is, there's no excuse to have a lack of motivation or a lack of effort at this level. You want to dial it in, then go play or coach for Pelissippi State..

Oh my, your powerful words of personal responsibility have completely melted me and my snowflake sensibilities. How am I even responding to your moral incantations where losing will NOT BE TOLERATED and WILL BE PUNISHED.

For the record, Kellie pulled Rae several times after TOs dude. She got in Jordan's face for several of her turn overs,. Listen to her post-game press conference. she totally gets where the problems are and where the team failed to answer the bell when Florida came out punching. She did not make excuses. her only "I don't know," was in saying I don't know that we could beat Florida if we played them tomorrow because they are better than us right now. You call that coddling players?

As KJH said, they have to figure what they can do against a team that is really good at playing a high pressure defensive game.

This team is now 19-3 (having lost 2 or their last three). When they were a way above expectations 18-1, this same group of players was being praised for their mental toughness and grit. They have hit a bad stretch. They were just come off a tough OT victory BTW. A team that wins by effort can also loose by effort when fatigue and injuries to key players kick in.

So, let me get this all straight: About a week ago, the LVs were a tough, resilient team that showed a lot grit. Now this week, they have suddenly turned into coddled Snowflakes who refuse to take responsibility and Kellie is a feckless coach who is all about "rainbows, unicorns and bunny farts."

Seriously, dude. We got outplayed by a team that is on a real hot streak. They are a match-up nightmare for us, particularly when our outside shots are not falling.

But, on the flipside, the LVs have outplayed several other good teams this season. I guess Gary Blair must just be singing kumbaya and giving his players participation trophies judging from drubbing this coddled team gave to Texas AM earlier in the year.

So, you can get all moral outraged about kids today and create a fantasy world, where Kellie is some kind of softy pushover, but the reality is that sometimes you run into a team that outplays you and then you to find a way to bounce back.

And who said make someone run until they puke? I don't know about you, but I actually had a scholarship to play sports in college, and yes my coach ran us until some did puke. I never said that! But sometimes you have to do things (within reason of course) to get players' attention and let them know you are holding them accountable.

You and I have never had beef on here before and I've actually agreed with most of your posts, so I'm not trying to call you out. I'm just saying that sometimes a coach has to show some tough love to get their players to respond...

That was a pretty popular phrase back in the days when the SummiTT was an open board and a vocal subset of posters believed that Pat had gotten too soft on players. For real.

CPS had about a long dry spell between her last championship with the Meeks and #7 and 8 with Candace Parker in her redshirt sophomore and junior years. There was a lot of "kids today" explanations too.

I responded your "woke post" with an equal degree of, for lack of a better work, exasperation as you seemed to find with my response.

I was a college track athlete back in the day and have two kids who both played college soccer so, I know a wee bit about competitive athletics as well. There is team culture accountability-- everyone follows the rules, gives their best effort at practices, thinks about team over self-interest etc. But that kind of personal responsibility does not apply when for example, your guards are getting outplayed by faster, longer, and more athletic guards and don't have a sense of what else to do. Kellie acknowledged that problem in her press conference. This is not a moral issue but one of figuring out a scheme that maximizes what a team can do well and minimizes its weaknesses.

Last edited:
G

Good God are you inept. Log out and don't ever post again.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

VN Store

Back