Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

That means Tennessee is living off of the offensive glass and it's no coincidence that they lost a game in which they were outrebounded.

Yes, to the #3 team in the country. No shame in that. But my point wasn't to argue with the poster's point, which is that we have a poor offense, which is obvious, but instead to point out his willfull negativity.

coaches, all the way up and down the ladder fall short in teaching mechanics of the game. They put players into layup lines expecting this to help, when actually teaching the mechanics of the skill is what is needed. Like foulshots, for instance, if not taught properly,,,all personal-time practicing does is make a person very good at doing something mechanically very wrong.

When teaching foulshots you have to look at the shooter from side, back and front

from the side: to look at overall mechanics and arc of the ball in flight...from the front: hand positions throughout the process, elbow, breathing, release,,,from the back: follow through and how the ball enters the hoop....also focal point (there are two): over the front of the rim (if struggling) or targeting the inside half-diamond of the back of the net (if in a good shooting mode).

Do they release the ball and hold their follow long enough or do they drop their follow too quickly. Are they releasing half of the breath on shot transition and exhaling at the point of release? Do they try to shoot a foulshot like their jumpshot?

There is a heckuva lot more than just standing at a line and jacking up reps

Coach I found your analysis very interesting. I agree completely.
For example, in my opinion, Keyen Green shot eight free throws on Saturday and every shot was on target and almost went in. The reason she only made four was her foul shot doesn't have enough arc. When her shot hits the back rim it's traveling to fast and the bump causes to much of a bounce. With a few more inches of arc and a softer landing she would be a 90% shooter instead of 50%. So who is the shooting coach?

Some have called it hyperbole, but here's where the current team stands now about a third of the way through the season:

Field Goal Percentage: .398 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest .408 in 2015-16)

Free Throw Percentage: .589 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest is .627 in 1985-86)

Three Point Percentage: .278 THIRD WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (two worst were .231 in 1988-89, .254 in 2015-16)

Points Per Game: 66.9 SECOND WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (worst was 65.6 in 2015-16)

Assists Per Game: 12.9 TIED FOR WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (the 1992-93 team actually finished with 12.91)

8-1 with the best player lost in the first half of fame 1. Let’s see how negative we can be.

Let’s where the Lady Vols are in March!

That's exactly what I'm worried about, and the bigger point the majority of these "we're 9-1 (10-1)!!!!" people unsurprisingly missed.

But hey, Kellie's pursuit of the record certainly took a hit tonight with their offensive onslaught against ETSU tonight and poor Chattanooga won't know what hit'em. I guess it was silly to be concerned about this historically bad offense...

That's exactly what I'm worried about.. I guess it was silly to be concerned about this historically bad offense...

Surely you don't expect people to believe you give a hoot about the Lady Vols based on your writings.... Wanting what is best for them is not in your agenda. Yes, it was not only silly but it shows everyone what your priorities are so it was yet another error on your part.

Last edited:
Rickster there you go again .....incessant attacks on anyone who has comments that .....in your perception ...does not fit your agenda and are negative posters .There is such a thing as criticism of the Lady Vols that is factual no matter what you think about it .Your attacks on posters get old ....at least to me.

You call this an attack? Negas can write all the hate they want but when someone calls them out for untruths and hateful remarks....it's an attack? I guess what you wrote above is not an attack?????

They corrected that in the 2nd half, made a heck of a run, but that first half hole was just too deep.[/QUOTE]

True on your whole post, (which didn’t print out right, so I just left the last sentence), and the loss of Rae really changed how our Offense has looked this year, but the first half hole was amazingly not too deep. We came back from being down 19 points at the half, and got within 3 points, but poor Defense, missed shots, and turnovers hurt us at the end of the 4th quarter. We outscored Stanford in the second half, had a huge comeback, and gave them a scare, and got some confidence from it for future games, but their experience and confidence beat us, and we must have that, too. We’re gaining more every game.

GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
They corrected that in the 2nd half, made a heck of a run, but that first half hole was just too deep.

True on your whole post, (which didn’t print out right, so I just left the last sentence), and the loss of Rae really changed how our Offense has looked this year, but the first half hole was amazingly not too deep. We came back from being down 19 points at the half, and got within 3 points, but poor Defense, missed shots, and turnovers hurt us at the end of the 4th quarter. We outscored Stanford in the second half, had a huge comeback, and gave them a scare, and got some confidence from it for future games, but their experience and confidence beat us, and we must have that, too. We’re gaining more every game.

GO LADY VOLS![/QUOTE]

I agree but that happens a lot. A team expends so much energy clawing back from a 17 point deficit and then they run out of gas. late in the third quarter, I expected the comeback to fizzle when the LVs got the lead down to 2 or 3 points and then had multiple stops on Stanford but could not make a shot themselves. If they could have gotten the lead in that stretch, adrenaline and the home crowd could have carried them to victory.

That's exactly what I'm worried about, and the bigger point the majority of these "we're 9-1 (10-1)!!!!" people unsurprisingly missed.

But hey, Kellie's pursuit of the record certainly took a hit tonight with their offensive onslaught against ETSU tonight and poor Chattanooga won't know what hit'em. I guess it was silly to be concerned about this historically bad offense...
I wouldn’t say silly, maybe a little pessimistic? Look, in the past we’ve seen the best women’s basketball at its best in our LV’s program, the best coach in history, and yes we were spoiled. Now we’re seeing a 9-1 team, are we headed back to those glory days??? No one knows but for me personally I’m excited and optimistic, even with poor stats. Just as our ladies are learning to play and win at that high level of the glory days, our coach has possibly that same learning curve. Good thing is, coach has lived and breathed the highest level of WBB, so it can be duplicated.

I wouldn’t say silly, maybe a little pessimistic? Look, in the past we’ve seen the best women’s basketball at its best in our LV’s program, the best coach in history, and yes we were spoiled. Now we’re seeing a 9-1 team, are we headed back to those glory days??? No one knows but for me personally I’m excited and optimistic, even with poor stats. Just as our ladies are learning to play and win at that high level of the glory days, our coach has possibly that same learning curve. Good thing is, coach has lived and breathed the highest level of WBB, so it can be duplicated.

Imagine the run this team could make with even an average offense...

Imagine the run this team could make with even an average offense...

If we had an average offense, you would criticize it for not being above average, and if it were above average, you'd criticize it for not being elite. And if it were elite, you'd dismiss it as the minimum offensive perfomance LV fans should ever expect.

Some have called it hyperbole, but here's where the current team stands now about a third of the way through the season:

Field Goal Percentage: .398 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest .408 in 2015-16)

Free Throw Percentage: .589 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest is .627 in 1985-86)

Three Point Percentage: .278 THIRD WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (two worst were .231 in 1988-89, .254 in 2015-16)

Points Per Game: 66.9 SECOND WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (worst was 65.6 in 2015-16)

Assists Per Game: 12.9 TIED FOR WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (the 1992-93 team actually finished with 12.91)

1) You're comparing complete years stats to one third of one year.
2) You're not correcting for the absence of the best offensive player for all but 1.5 games of this young season. Plug in her average contributions from last season and see what you get.

Reactions: Lucy
Post 63

Printout still not right, first sentence yours, not mine, and I would not want to be credited with that sentence.

It looks like a lot of teams are suffering with the worst offense in program history. There are very few coaches in WCBB that can teach offense and the womens game is reverting back to the 80’s 90’s when there were more athletes and bigger bodies on the floor than basketball players. And it seems like good PG’s and shooters are hard to find anymore true fundamentals are not taught. Just go to one of these high profile AAU games and it’s truly a free for all of one on ones and crazy shots.

It's pretty much a given that our offense in the first third of the season isn't where it'll be in the back third. The ongoing improvement of players new to the roster guarantees that - Puckett is building towards becoming a 15+/ppg scorer and Dye is becoming the double-double machine we knew we were getting. And the emergence of Key - who wouldn't want to see more of the offense go through her?

It's been a long time but we have the pieces in place to make a run at the F4. If it's true that Rae's injury issue is a meniscus and she'll be back next month, then there's no reason why we shouldn't go deep in the tourney - all the way to April.

2022 Team Statistics

Were tenth in the SEC in scoring with 71 a game. I suspect after we play Chattanooga we'll be about in the middle of the league. Were haven't played as many of the weaker teams as some of the other SEC teams have and were doing some catchup with ETSU and coming up Chattanooga.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back