2023 Recruiting

I hope you are right but I believe that some WNBA will scoop her up. IMO she has all of the fundamentals they are looking for, especially the size. As to whether she will be eligible to go pro, I do not know about that.

Yeah they’re waiting for her but she’s not eligible… so she will indeed be here next year lol but I feel you think she or Horston or Rae will take that extra year is wild lol they’re being developed and are truly getting a ton of attention

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Even more importantly, is $60,000 worth ending the Tennessee Lady Vols' 100% graduation rate?

GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT NONSENSE, allen phillips!!!!!!!!!!

While I agree they won’t be leaving; contrary to popular belief making that much for 3 months is nothing to sneeze at.. add in bonus’ for rookie team and championships/individual awards plus the ability to play in the offseason… I think many W players are fairly comfortable.. the new CBA is dope!

57A07EAE-F33A-4CD4-A1ED-C4FF3FCB1FE9.jpeg

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
While I agree they won’t be leaving; contrary to popular belief making that much for 3 months is nothing to sneeze at.. add in bonus’ for rookie team and championships/individual awards plus the ability to play in the offseason… I think many W players are fairly comfortable.. the new CBA is dope!

View attachment 430303

It's a year-round job staying physically/mentally ready to compete for those 3 months. And unless they pick up their lives to leave their own countries to go play in foreign leagues in order to add to that $60,000, they really can't all find off-season jobs at companies that'll accommodate losing their employee for half the year.

$60,000 isn't giving young, single women a whole lot to sock away for later, especially if they want to buy a home.

Reactions: Volfan2012
It's a year-round job staying physically/mentally ready to compete for those 3 months. And unless they pick up their lives to leave their own countries to go play in foreign leagues in order to add to that $60,000, they really can't all find off-season jobs at companies that'll accommodate losing their employee for half the year.

$60,000 isn't giving young, single women a whole lot to sock away for later, especially if they want to buy a home.

There’s now the AU leave as well as many players are going into coaching now.. there are opportunities available to take advantage of. Starting a career at 22/23 and making almost 70k for 3 months is most definitely worth it. Going overseas for a year or two to travel and play ball and make money, while not ideal, is an opportunity many won’t miss out on. They don’t make 60k for the duration of their careers….

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
There’s now the AU leave as well as many players are going into coaching now.. there are opportunities available to take advantage of. Starting a career at 22/23 and making almost 70k for 3 months is most definitely worth it. Going overseas for a year or two to travel and play ball and make money, while not ideal, is an opportunity many won’t miss out on. They don’t make 60k for the duration of their careers….

With NIL, college players can now do all the same things, plus leave with a degree and countless opportunities in basketball, speaking, and the job market. Leaving 1 year early without a degree would be very shortsighted. Taking the extra year would depend on a lot of factors including the type of advanced degree you are pursuing. Let's say you want to be an accountant, you have to have a master's degree before you can sit for the CPA exam.

Reactions: Lucy
With NIL, college players can now do all the same things, plus leave with a degree and countless opportunities in basketball, speaking, and the job market. Leaving 1 year early without a degree would be very shortsighted. Taking the extra year would depend on a lot of factors including the type of advanced degree you are pursuing. Let's say you want to be an accountant, you have to have a master's degree before you can sit for the CPA exam.

I’m not advocating leaving early.. just also not advocating for downplaying that many of the players who do leave are making 6 figures their first year from endorsements and their playing contracts. It’s the way we say “why would they leave for 60k” as if going pro for women is something to sneeze at when it isn’t..

I’m not advocating leaving early.. just also not advocating for downplaying that many of the players who do leave are making 6 figures their first year from endorsements and their playing contracts. It’s the way we say “why would they leave for 60k” as if going pro for women is something to sneeze at when it isn’t..

Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. Just a good discussion. The best part of this board is that it's mostly good people, good discussions. It's a rare thing.

You sound pretty confident on the subject, albeit, Tamari Key is only 20 years old and hasn't earned her bachelor's degree yet. Pretty sure the WNBA has some eligibility requirements and unless she is planning to go to some far away land, she won't be going pro next year.
Yes, and mom not letting her without her paper.

Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. Just a good discussion. The best part of this board is that it's mostly good people, good discussions. It's a rare thing.

Oh no I didn’t think you were just wanted to clarify lol I want ALL our players to stay 4(some I wish for more) years lol BUT I also know the women’s game is growing in popularity and that’s going to mean a lot more financial opportunities on their home soil sooner rather than later

Reactions: 37620VOL
Eligibility. The WNBA "requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school".

Key and Horston will be back.
Just a guess but based on Twitter I think a degree is a must with both families.

Rae Burrell just signed a NIL with Grubhub so if we could get her one more for say 100 grand she may stay her covid year.
With the extra money they can now make while earning a free education, I don't see reason to move on to the next level as soon as possible. The value based on a Masters's degree outweighs that of a Bachelors's degree. This team just had a 3.39 overall grade point average. Not only are the Lady Vols great basketball players, but they are excellent students across the board. Parents should be pushing for their kids to get as much education as possible so that when basketball ends, they are highly competitive in their career choice and will never need to take more classes or have anyone else to take care of them.

The W requires that players have to have exhausted eligibility or turn 22 in the year of the draft. They can be 21 at the time of the draft if they are 22 by December 31.
That means that Key will NOT be eligible for the WNBA after this season. She'll be eligible after the 2022-2023 college season.

VN Store

Back