2023 Recruiting

My take on Ashlynn is that she was CONN's to lose if anyone else could pry her loose. Seems that we came as close or closer than anyone else, including Stanford.

Ashlynn's three favorite players are all ex-Conns. She was photographed wearing well-worn personal Huskies gear. She expressly said that she wanted to go up against other top-rated recruits every day in practice to prepare for a pro career. Then she said that she just "knew in her gut" that CONN was the right place for her after meeting the players and touring the facilities. The lack of distractions in Storrs appears to be a big plus in her eyes.

Too much seems to have been made of her multiple visits to Knoxville. If anything, it's a positive sign that she kept us in consideration at all since her post-signing comments made it clear that her heart and head were both leaning heavily northward. I'd feel a lot worse if I were an Indiana fan. They've lost three top in-state recruits, including Shade, to CONN in these last two classes despite high ranking and deep tournament run last season. And they're still ranked ahead of CONN this season. Those three signings have to sting them and Notre Dame.

I'm certainly not going to be casting aspersions toward Ashlynn and her family. Even if I had negative thoughts toward them (I don't), why burn our bridges with her? Things might not work out with her current favorite, circumstances can change within next couple of years, etc. Also, she has lots of friends and teammates among other top recruits. Let's not be throwing shade at Ashlynn just because she didn't pick us this time around.

Last edited:
She's gone guys, let her go....
death-hospital-doctor-life_support-life_support_machines-plugs-mban2900_low.jpg

And the Gurney Burger in Johnson City on the old Elizabethton Highway. Best cheap scrambled egg sandwich in town.

There's a strip joint there now whose name I shall not repeat. Ironically, located about 100 yards from Salvation Army thrift store.

Last edited:
And the Gurney Burger in Johnson City on the old Elizabethton Highway. Best cheap scrambled egg sandwich in town.

There's a strip joint there now whose name I shall not repeat. Ironically, located about 100 yards from Salvation Army thrift store.
That'll be 8.98 for the meal,,,would you like your change back in ones?

She doesn’t seem interested to me if we are looking at her social media

Rennia didn't seem interested until she was 😂

but seriously i don't even know if social media means anything anymore (see Shade)... Also gotta take into account an international kid's "handler" and where they may want them to go.

I actually think we go the portal route for a post which i'm ok with for now .. i used to get bummed if we struck out on recruits but now the portal allows i to address those issues and might even get some experience

I am not going to mention any names of either current or past recruits, but there’s one thing I know for a fact: Tennessee’s reputation for being a place to go as long as you have the drive to excel both on the court and in the classroom is a major turnoff to some people. We’ve had no chance with at least two top recruits that I know of, and likely many more, because they weren’t all that interested in their class work/attendance being someone’s business to get into.

Frankly, even though Tennessee might have won a lot more games even than it has over the years if it had been a program that turned its head to kids just barely sliding by to spend all their time in the gym, I’m happy with the way things are at Tennessee. Even if it means some top recruits haven’t, and won’t, choose UT because of it.

I know the attractiveness of high ranking recruits. But I think it’s clear that Kellie, although she wants the top recruits, is in the market for the right pieces. And the right pieces may not be what we think they are.

and contrary to how hard some on here hate how she knows what she is doing ... kellie has proved she knows how to use the pieces that she gets.

and contrary to how hard some on here hate how she knows what she is doing ... kellie has proved she knows how to use the pieces that she gets.
I agree with this to a certain point, but also think that Tennessee has two top 10 players on the roster that are as good as anyone on any team. Horston was rated two in her class and she is beginning to show why as basketball skills are starting to catch up to her length and athleticism. Key is a top ten player in her class as a junior and has the ability to be so much better than she is now. Her length and size are something that very few players have and her basketball skills are growing with every game. Then you have Burrell who is not number six on the WNBA draft list for nothing very underrated coming our of high school and I said so at the time. I know she was looking quite ordinary for two seasons, but her coordination had to catch up with her body and now she is a highly skilled player that I would say would be another top ten in her class at this time in her career. So point is even though Kellie has found ways to get the ultimate out of role players she has four very talented players on this team as need to add Dye to that big four. You have to have a few players like this so yes we have the culture and the development, but were going to need some top ranked players to join us in the next couple of seasons. JMO I think our big four are as good as any four on any team that is playing right now.

I agree with this to a certain point, but also think that Tennessee has two top 10 players on the roster that are as good as anyone on any team. Horston was rated two in her class and she is beginning to show why as basketball skills are starting to catch up to her length and athleticism. Key is a top ten player in her class as a junior and has the ability to be so much better than she is now. Her length and size are something that very few players have and her basketball skills are growing with every game. Then you have Burrell who is not number six on the WNBA draft list for nothing very underrated coming our of high school and I said so at the time. I know she was looking quite ordinary for two seasons, but her coordination had to catch up with her body and now she is a highly skilled player that I would say would be another top ten in her class at this time in her career. So point is even though Kellie has found ways to get the ultimate out of role players she has four very talented players on this team as need to add Dye to that big four. You have to have a few players like this so yes we have the culture and the development, but were going to need some top ranked players to join us in the next couple of seasons. JMO I think our big four are as good as any four on any team that is playing right now.

Agreed! Exactly, the development of these players is accredited to kellie and she can spot talent obviously.

I wish Dye could develop a 3pt shot she would be on a wnba draft boards right now
She is definitely on a few boards just aren't on any mock drafts because most of those are created by people who go by names and not those who actually have watched the talent. But I agree if she improved her 3pt shooting (and she might not be a bad shooter from there, she just doesn't shoot it from 3) or at least start taking some shots from 3

She is definitely on a few boards just aren't on any mock drafts because most of those are created by people who go by names and not those who actually have watched the talent. But I agree if she improved her 3pt shooting (and she might not be a bad shooter from there, she just doesn't shoot it from 3) or at least start taking some shots from 3
She is going to play somewhere if not in the WNBA some foreign country. Sometimes the money can be a lot better in some other countries.

@VA_VOLFAN Coach Joy and Sam are liking a lot of tweets from Sidwell which prospect goes there? Think it’s Donovan but I’m not sure

@VA_VOLFAN Coach Joy and Sam are liking a lot of tweets from Sidwell which prospect goes there? Think it’s Donovan but I’m not sure
I thought she was strong on Maryland as well. She is a Horston type guard very athletic but not a very good shooter from range. She knows how to get to the basket and finish. Still waiting for that first 2023 player to call our name.

VN Store

Back