Next 11 games

Yeah, and I'm sure Alabama basketball fans would be the first to admit that's a horrible loss. I didn't say it would be an easy win, but I still don't believe losing to Missouri would be an acceptable loss for this roster with this talent. You shouldn't lose to any of the bottom 4 teams in the SEC.
I’m not saying it’s not a bad loss, but I don’t think that loss automatically eliminates a school from making a run in March as you said…that’s all I was saying, I don’t think that Bama is suddenly done for in March because they lost that game.

Correct you can't expect to, but I'm taking the baseball adage and applying it to basketball.
Win all your home games and go .500 on the road.
Imo. UK will be a win at home, I think it was a weird day in Lexington the other day. TN is more talented than MSST unless they just play awful that should be a win. LSU at home should be nice revenge.
Auburn and both Arky games worry me. Idk what to think about the Hogs and Auburn is a terrible matchup.
If you ask me to bet $10,000 on which game we win @Georgia or home against Kentucky I definitely am betting the @Georgia game, maybe you feel differently. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not saying it’s not a bad loss, but I don’t think that loss automatically eliminates a school from making a run in March as you said…that’s all I was saying, I don’t think that Bama is suddenly done for in March because they lost that game.

Okay, well, maybe I didn't state my opinion clearly, which I apologize if so. I'm not saying you're "done" in March and have no chance, I just don't think this team has much margin for error at this point. We really can't afford the bad losses if we want to avoid that dreaded 5-seed territory.

Okay, well, maybe I didn't state my opinion clearly, which I apologize if so. I'm not saying you're "done" in March and have no chance, I just don't think this team has much margin for error at this point. We really can't afford the bad losses if we want to avoid that dreaded 5-seed territory.
I gotcha, and agree…losing any of Florida, A&M, @SC, Vandy, @Mizz, @UGA or Arkansas is gonna put us in a bad spot and needing to make up for it with a big W.

If you ask me to bet $10,000 on which game we win @Georgia or home against Kentucky I definitely am betting the @Georgia game, maybe you feel differently. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nope, not arguing that one at all.
Im just saying im not sure UK is as big of a favorite as the win last Saturday would make it seem. Going in they were only about a 4.5 point favorite. At home thats pretty much a pick em.

Nope, not arguing that one at all.
Im just saying im not sure UK is as big of a favorite as the win last Saturday would make it seem. Going in they were only about a 4.5 point favorite. At home thats pretty much a pick em.
It is, but we are favored in 7 games, 3 of which are on the road, so I’d like our chances in all of those more than a pick ‘em’ at home verse Kentucky.

I gotcha, and agree…losing any of Florida, A&M, @SC, Vandy, @Mizz, @UGA or Arkansas is gonna put us in a bad spot and needing to make up for it with a big W.

Yeah, I just think there is a BIG difference between a 4-seed and a 5-seed, and we only have a handful of what I consider "resume" wins at this moment. We have Arizona and we have North Carolina (which is looking more and more suspect). Each "bad" loss we take just puts more pressure on us to win more of the big games. I'd rather avoid that.

Yeah, I just think there is a BIG difference between a 4-seed and a 5-seed, and we only have a handful of what I consider "resume" wins at this moment. We have Arizona and we have North Carolina (which is looking more and more suspect). Each "bad" loss we take just puts more pressure on us to win more of the big games. I'd rather avoid that.

Yea, that’s what I was saying.

I dont like Arky matchups because EM has them play fast. That could create a lot of turnovers from our guards

Uh, did you watch the Kentucky game in Rupp? Kentucky played extremely fast. They rarely let the shot clock get under 15 seconds. They literally went straight to the basket and attacked Chandler and Powell and if there wasn't a shot they kicked it out for a 3. They scored 107 points.

Is that not fast?

Uh, did you watch the Kentucky game in Rupp? Kentucky played extremely fast. They rarely let the shot clock get under 15 seconds. They literally went straight to the basket and attacked Chandler and Powell and if there wasn't a shot they kicked it out for a 3. They scored 107 points.

Is that not fast?
They played a perfect game, but thats not their normal.

They played a perfect game, but thats not their normal.

It was their gameplan against us though. Calipari said as much at halftime and post-game. They wanted to play fast against us, and it worked. I'm just saying you can't say you'd rather play Kentucky instead of Arkansas because "Arkansas plays fast" when that is exactly what Kentucky did against us successfully already lol. Chances are they are going to copy that script in TBA when they come here.

It was their gameplan against us though. Calipari said as much at halftime and post-game. They wanted to play fast against us, and it worked. I'm just saying you can't say you'd rather play Kentucky instead of Arkansas because "Arkansas plays fast" when that is exactly what Kentucky did against us successfully already lol. Chances are they are going to copy that script in TBA when they come here.
TN scored as many points as it had all year against UK. If UK doesnt have one of those absurd shooting performances that happens once in a while, the game is much much closer.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
TN scored as many points as it had all year against UK. If UK doesnt have one of those absurd shooting performances that happens once in a while, the game is much much closer.

TN’s highest scoring SEC game. 7th highest scoring game. Every opponent other than KY scored less than 80.

21-9 should be the goal imo, 20-10 and 22-8 are both on the table as well, but most projections have us tagged as 21-9 which would have us around the 4 seed line entering the SECT. Theoretically for conference rankings sake going 21-9(12-6) and losing to Texas would be better, almost certainly guarantees a Top 4 finish which means double bye in SECT. For resume sake going 21-9(11-7) and beating Texas on the road would probably be better assuming the extra SEC loss is a “good” one. We are currently 12-5(3-3), let’s get us at least 9 more wins!

Remaining slate:
LSU
Florida
@ Texas
Texas A&M
@ South Carolina
@ Mississippi State
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
@ Arkansas
@ Missouri
Auburn
@ Georgia
Arkansas
I think we lose to LSU, Texas, KY, @ Arkansas, Auburn. I think the 50/50 games are @ Mississippi State, TAMU, Arkansas at home, @ Missouri.

I think we finish the stretch 7-6. Putting our overall record at 19-11(10-9).

I think the 'disarray' or 'discombobulation' that some think they see is primarily due to 4 factors: 1) more tape has exposed our existing weaknesses 2) Fulkerson's health and energy, 3) sickness/injuries to key players, and 4) freshmen and transfers who are still in the learning process.

As more tape has been logged ... the tendencies and weaknesses of players becomes more readily visible ... Powell does not shoot a good % when is moving - so do not let him setup to shoot, Chandler does turn the ball over - so pressure him, etc.
I think John's got his head in a good place, now ... but it also means that we will see John begin to play more AS he gets healthier and stronger. Keep an eye on the number of mpg he plays. That tells you how healthy he is in reality.
You can't control #3 - you just live with it. It creates odd combinations on the floor sometimes and things do get ugly. Fulkerson, JJJ and Chandler have all missed games together.
BHH has broken through a wall - so a little forward surge may appear, Chandler driving does not help us if he shoots low FT %, Zakai and Chandler keep correcting little things, etc.

The glue to this team, right now is Santi and Zakai. The next 7 games are the ones that are going to be fluid, because I believe we will be tinkering and developing players. I'll call it 5-2. Chandler is the straw that stirs the drink and Fulkerson is the key to doing deep in tournaments. JJJ is the one makes the defense work.
Beginning with the KY, and we will be rolling with what we got ... heading into the SEC and NCAA tournament. I'll call it 4-2 down the stretch.
21-9 overall, but if we are lucky and get the offense back on the fast track 23-7. If John does not get stronger ... 19-11.

KenPom had us top 15. And I believe early in the season we were top 15 as well.

Where is the top 15 talent on this team? It's not there. Chandler is top 15 talent--but he's a true freshman. Vescovi is somewhere between solid and good. JJJ is solid--does a lot of good things--but he's never found his true position and struggles to score. After that we've got a bunch of role players--and that includes Fulky, who is undersized and seems to have lost his way, a bit. We shot the ball well in two or three early-season games--especially against UNC, easily our best game--but our shooting is been poor for quite some time. Where is all this talent that some people seem to think we have? If we truly had it, Barnes would have us winning more games and there'd be less carping about his salary.

VN Store

Back