Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

No. That ship has already sailed. Granted, Pearl's an entertaining, above-average coach, but he comes with a lot of baggage and the risk/reward of bringing him back isn't worth the investment. First time his fault, second time our fault.

Reactions: EasternVol
Pearl was a showman and helped the program, no doubt about it, but his lack of integrity will never change. I wouldn’t trust him to lead the program at this point. He can stay in Auburn and have a nice career until he gets himself in hot water again.

Reactions: Hallie
Scott Drew won a National Championship at Baylor.

They’re not going to let him go and can match any offer we give him.

Same for Jay Wright.

Let’s be realistic.

Throwing money around doesn’t automatically mean we’re going to land an elite coach.

The college landscape is changing massively. A coach has to be looking toward the future. The "haves" are going to be in a handful of conferences. Bill Self pretty much came out and said he wouldn't stay at Kansas if the Big 12 doesn't make big moves to fix itself or if Kansas didn't also get into a power conference.

What happens if the Big 10, SEC, ACC and Pac 12 decide they aren't going to share the NCAA tournament revenue with Iona and St Mary's any more when they can have their own post season? Odds are it's coming at some point. That would be the only chance we'd have at those guys imo.

Baylor and the other small schools are going to see budgets get tighter soon. The shell of the Big 12 is expected to lose 60-70 percent of its revenue when the new TV contracts are signed.

The college landscape is changing massively. A coach has to be looking toward the future. The "haves" are going to be in a handful of conferences. Bill Self pretty much came out and said he wouldn't stay at Kansas if the Big 12 doesn't make big moves to fix itself or if Kansas didn't also get into a power conference.

What happens if the Big 10, SEC, ACC and Pac 12 decide they aren't going to share the NCAA tournament revenue with Iona and St Mary's any more when they can have their own post season? Odds are it's coming at some point. That would be the only chance we'd have at those guys imo.

Baylor and the other small schools are going to see budgets get tighter soon. The shell of the Big 12 is expected to lose 60-70 percent of its revenue when the new TV contracts are signed.

Baylor isn’t a small school. Their campus and endowment is half again as large as TN’s.

Why? Would you like the Neyland years wiped away too? The Summitt years? Bruce wasn't as successful as either but he's the most successful coach we've ever had. No need to forget him. But no use in thinking he'll ever coach here again either.
The issue is that an extremely large (and ignorant) portion of our fan base cannot separate those two ideas. They can’t remember that he was a great coach for 6 years, AND that he’ll never step foot back on Tennessee’s campus as their head coach.

Baylor isn’t a small school. Their campus and endowment is half again as large as TN’s.

That has little to do with athletics in most cases. They are a small school in that they aren't seen as a television/streaming draw in any sport. That's why they got no real interest from any conference when Texas and Oklahoma left. If the big conferences decide they want their own tournament and to keep all the money, schools not in the 4 big conferences are going to be in even bigger trouble.

That has little to do with athletics in most cases. They are a small school in that they aren't seen as a television/streaming draw in any sport. That's why they got no real interest from any conference when Texas and Oklahoma left. If the big conferences decide they want their own tournament and to keep all the money, schools not in the 4 big conferences are going to be in even bigger trouble.

They have the Art Briles and Dave Bliss stank all over their athletic program. They make Pearl smell like a rose.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Yes I would, but that ship has done sailed. Pearl is becoming legend at Auburn, starting to get the 5 stars and he knows how to coach them. He will end up with several national championships but that's just froth on life's wake.

We seem to always look to the negative for someone that is a 100% winner. I tried to convince everyone that we needed him when Barnes was hired. I know I will get all kinds of negativity about this, but I seriously do not give a damn ! I would take Bruce Pearl back in a New York minute !!!! Any day of the week. Just a note to all the naysayers................."let he who is without sin cast the first stone !"

Reactions: LibertyVol
If Bruce was here now and UT was doing as well as Auburn is doing, no one would feel that our basketball coach was being grossly overpaid at 5 MILLION DOLLARS per year.
Can you imagine this message board if Bruce was here and getting paid his 4 million salary last year and going 13-14 and 7-11 in the SEC? Holy hell

I’ve just always wondered what Pearl served at that bar-b-que and if it was any good; b/c it was shortly after that fateful day when he was scape-goated into oblivion and stabbed in the back (Bet it was better than McDonald’s bags and cash). Simply, all because our administration and boosters couldn’t get their sh*t together over turmoil elsewhere;
I blame Albert Means, Mike Hamilton and the gas station owner guy..

but Anywho’s...

Fact of the matter is that he is the winningest coach we’ve had since most of us have been alive, and we should probably throw the kitchen sink at him to return(Imagine marketing the return of the king), also I hear a D.White loves marketing.

Lastly, Lawwwd knows Pearl wants to be here. Loop back to this post when he gets emotional, once again, after he stomps our ass here in Knoxville again on February 26. 🤷‍♂️

Then, Tell me Nick Saban never had bbq’s. 😒

Attachments

• B90FE17B-6E2E-4F7D-B5EF-787BD1BC5A40.jpeg
    B90FE17B-6E2E-4F7D-B5EF-787BD1BC5A40.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 12AA693C-D1C7-4E8F-85A0-221956B4D823.jpeg
    12AA693C-D1C7-4E8F-85A0-221956B4D823.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 12
Never ... after he caused all the turnover .... he lied about things ..then asked a family lie and says they werent at BBQ .. wow .. how low can ya get .. but it seems to be working for Auburn and LSU .. but id rather be where we are than to be lead by a couple liers .. Pearl and Wade are scum ... wish NCAA get some balls and really take care of problems ....

VN Store

Back