Mayo to Texans as HC potentially?

Belichick's defensive assistants in NFL as head coaches. Note, all these guys took bad jobs (Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Lions). The Texans are a dumpster fire for sure.

Groh - left after 1 year (He's been the best NFL head coach of the bunch)
Saban - losing record in 2 seasons. Turned out OK in college FB though.
Crennel- fired in less than 2 seasons in KC. Huge losing record in Cleveland
Mangini - fired twice, losing records both jobs
Schwartz - fired. Huge losing record
Patricia - fired. Huge losing record
Flores - fired in 3 years
I understand the point that you’re trying to make, but this reminds me of the people who were saying that teams should avoid drafting Aaron Rodgers simply because all of the previous Jeff Tedford quarterbacks had been busts.

Reactions: lukeneyland
I understand the point that you’re trying to make, but this reminds me of the people who were saying that teams should avoid drafting Aaron Rodgers simply because all of the previous Jeff Tedford quarterbacks had been busts.

Fair point but if I'm Mayo, I would avoid the dumpster fire known as the Texans like the plague.....

League isn't well known for giving AA candidates time to turn things around. (see Flores, Brian and Culley, David)

Texans currently have the worst roster in the NFL and there are better openings this off season like Chicago and Minnesota.

As a Titans fan I really don’t want this. Not sure how he would do, but I’d rather him go to another division so I can root for him.

Fair point but if I'm Mayo, I would avoid the dumpster fire known as the Texans like the plague.....

League isn't well known for giving AA candidates time to turn things around. (see Flores, Brian and Culley, David)
They should have dumped Watson and drafted a QB last year -- Mayo should take the Bears job instead, they have always been a defense first franchise

Mayo is very, very well respected. I have to think that Flores would be head, and mayo a coordinator tho. Just my experience:

yep. i remember when we got him and robert ayers in the same class. those guys were highly rated but their play at ut and beyond exceeded their rating. i thought xavier mitchell was going to be the gem of that class, but it was def. ayers and mayo.

No way should He take this $hitty job, if He does, and doesn't have them in the super bowl in five hours, he'll never get another HC opportunity, just like all the other....."former Tennessee linebackers"

Who do they give time to turn things around at any level of football Mr Race Card?

Mayo may have been Tennessee’s last great LB, WoW, that’s been a minute

Time flies for old Vol fans, no?

Who do they give time to turn things around at any level of football Mr Race Card?

Obviously when the NFL feels the need to implement the Rooney Rule, attach draft pick compensation for hiring AA candidates, establishing a database of AA coaching candidates, and developing a coaching fellowship program for AA candidates then they realize they might have a problem.

The Dolphins just fired a AA coach who had back to back winning seasons. Yet retreads like Adam Gase get chance after chance

Obviously when the NFL feels the need to implement the Rooney Rule, attach draft pick compensation for hiring AA candidates, establishing a database of AA coaching candidates, and developing a coaching fellowship program for AA candidates then they realize they might have a problem.

The Dolphins just fired a AA coach who had back to back winning seasons. Yet retreads like Adam Gase get chance after chance
How come Doug Pederson was fired three years and two more playoff births after winning the super bowl? They must have forgot he was white.

literally everyone but, Belichick, Tomlin and Reid gets fired in this league. Its an epidemic for EVERYONE in coaching regardless of race in our coaching culture. If you don't fix it immediately, you're done. Vrabel could win the super bowl this year then go 2-15 and get fired. Same as if it's a black coach. There's no correlation suggesting these owners are firing black coaches at a higher rate than white coaches. Only people with the false a priori axiom that attributes race being the correlating factor to literally everything.

Sure in the past they obviously had issues trusting black people as quarterbacks or head coaches

But those days are OVER and have been for decades. If Brian Flores doesn't have internal issues in the organization, butting heads with ownership on Tua and just rubbing people the wrong way, then he isn't fired. But one would probably refuse to believe that because one thinks race underlies every single situation like this ever even though one never has any evidence whatsoever to prove the Dolphins owner was like "geez three Yeats is enough I just can't stand this black guy anymore! I am just a racist! I must have forgotten that I was racist when I hired the guy! I thought I was firing him because I wound up not liking him personally and didn't think his vision for the team was going to work out...definitely nothing to do with who Brian Flores is as an INDIVIDUAL!"

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Hope he doesn't get that dumpster fire. One of the worst run franchises in the NFL if not the worst. Plus my Titan blood won't allow me to root for his success there. I HATE The Texans

How come Doug Pederson was fired three years and two more playoff births after winning the super bowl? They must have forgot he was white.

literally everyone but, Belichick, Tomlin and Reid gets fired in this league. Its an epidemic for EVERYONE in coaching regardless of race in our coaching culture. If you don't fix it immediately, you're done. Vrabel could win the super bowl this year then go 2-15 and get fired. Same as if it's a black coach. There's no correlation suggesting these owners are firing black coaches at a higher rate than white coaches. Only people with the false a priori axiom that attributes race being the correlating factor to literally everything.

Sure in the past they obviously had issues trusting black people as quarterbacks or head coaches

But those days are OVER and have been for decades. If Brian Flores doesn't have internal issues in the organization, butting heads with ownership on Tua and just rubbing people the wrong way, then he isn't fired. But one would probably refuse to believe that because one thinks race underlies every single situation like this ever even though one never has any evidence whatsoever to prove the Dolphins owner was like "geez three Yeats is enough I just can't stand this black guy anymore! I am just a racist! I must have forgotten that I was racist when I hired the guy! I thought I was firing him because I wound up not liking him personally and didn't think his vision for the team was going to work out...definitely nothing to do with who Brian Flores is as an INDIVIDUAL!"

You are correct. It's better than it was 30 years ago but every stat and study shows it's still an issue. You can bury your head in the sand but those are the cold, hard facts. Mayo would not have the same leash, he has less of a cushion if he stumbles, and he would have a harder time getting a second chance than other candidates. This is 30 years of data speaking. If Mike Vrabel fails to make the Super Bowl this year and goes 10-7 next year, he won't get the Jim Caldwell or Tony Dungy treatment. If Mayo really wants to be a head coach, he needs to realize whether it should be in Houston where he is absolutely set up for failure.

Jeff Fisher survived 5-11 and 4-12 and got 5 seasons in STL and he was nothing the coach that Dungy or Caldwell was.

Regarding Flores, you didn't hear a peep about this until he was fired. How much of this is the front office trying to deflect their poor decisions (i.e taking a noodle armed, brittle Tua over Justin Herbert) and how much of it is truth? Again, you are hearing one side of the story. If the front office version is correct, then Flores saw what most everyone else saw: Tua isn't a QB to build around. (If you want my opinion, the answer probably lies in the middle here)

1 of 32 is the only stat I need. The Houston Texas won 4 games in 2020, lost their five best players in Mercilus, Watt, Hopkins, Fuller, and Watson. The new coach won the same number of games with a decimated roster and was the first coach in franchise history to be fired after 1 season. The guy responsible for decimating this roster and known for abrasive power plays is up for jobs this offseason. Is Culley up for any? And to bring this around to Mayo, what happens if he only wins 4 games next year or 5? That roster is absolute garbage. Will he get the David Culley treatment or will he get the Dom Capers or Gary Kubiak treatment?

VN Store

Back