Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 65 - Vanderbilt 51

Walker having issue with pressure D and a lot of sloppy play. Still a mostly complete win though.

Someone needed to set a couple hard screens tonight.

Back in the day that is how we got teams out of that defense. If you set a couple hard screens right after mid court they start dropping back. When you play that hard up the line and that fast they cannot communicate screens and they aren’t looking for them. Clean a couple clocks and then you can run your offense.

Alexus Dye didn’t play the ENTIRE 4th quarter
She did play but looked like she would have rather been doing something else. The last quarter was one of the worst I have seen the ladies play in a long time. I realize we emptied the bench, but it was comedy of errors. They need to work a lot on the press. I am sure they will see it a lot more in the future.

Last edited:
Was excited to be at the game and see lots of orange in the building! The 4th quarter wasn’t fun to watch though. Was surprised Kellie didn’t call a timeout to refocus the team. I’m hoping we can figure out how to effectively break the press and force opponents to snap out of it.

I don’t know if the late tip played a factor. Still great to win by double digits. It doesn’t get any easier. We’ll have to be MUCH better when we play a well-rested Kentucky team on Sunday.

Plus I expect us to have a lot more energy at home. The energy was low tonight. Walker kept dribbling into the double teams and traps. Picking up the ball and no where to pass it. Not a very good floor game for her tonight. Jordan Horston played it very well.

Last edited:
They don't have the quickness and guards that Vanderbilt has. Everyone Vandy plays except maybe one player is 5 foot something. How we let them rebound like they did is still making me mad.
They got away with murder and when the LV's responded in kind they were called for fouls.....darn it refs all is asked of you is to be consistent in calls on both ends of the court.....tonite they did not do that.,,,,Key was held ,shoved on every rebound effort.The LV's played thru it just fine .

Please tell me Kentucky will not press us on Sunday 😩

Hey, I expect they will, and it'll be another chance for our team to get that figured out NOW instead of that happening in the postseason and not being prepared for it.

Seriously, I am glad we got exposed as vulnerable to that style of play. There's plenty of time for the staff to coach up this team to get much better in that area.

Bottom line for me is Tennessee beat a motivated team on the road when it very well could have been yet another huge upset like has happened to nearly EVERYbody but us this season.

I am going to thank my lucky stars for every game we score at least one more point than the other team in. I honestly don't feel like I can complain about anything. SOOOO many upsets and near upsets everywhere. We are blessed!!!!!
“Breadsticks!”

Once we got the ball across midcourt (when we did), I thought our offensive movement, spacing and passing was very, very good. Ball was not sticking in anyone's hands and no one was overdribbling. That's a beautiful thing to finally see.

Our defense is so consistently good that I forget to mention it. Oh yeah, another team held below 30%, big deal. As someone else said earlier, the great thing is our defense does not fall off much if at all when we go to the bench.

This is everything (almost) we've dreamed of for lo these many years. Fun to watch, consistent, and getting better. Hope everyone is enjoying it!

Someone needed to set a couple hard screens tonight.

Back in the day that is how we got teams out of that defense. If you set a couple hard screens right after mid court they start dropping back. When you play that hard up the line and that fast they cannot communicate screens and they aren’t looking for them. Clean a couple clocks and then you can run your offense.
…dayum!

Had to watch on my phone and could still tell that the charge on Horston was bullsh*t. The NCAA needs to look at how they call charges. Letting short, squat, non-athletic players walk underneath a superstar while they are in the air is completely heinous. That’s how you ruin seasons and careers. Horston is a leader, whilst the dirty Vanderbilt player waddles underneath her midair. Unacceptable. And Kellie needs to make sure the entire NCAA knows her grievance about this. Prior to that she made all her floaters and was having a beautiful game. Amazing what happens with some dirty a$$ play. Is this what Ralphnis gonna do?

Once we got the ball across midcourt (when we did), I thought our offensive movement, spacing and passing was very, very good. Ball was not sticking in anyone's hands and no one was overdribbling. That's a beautiful thing to finally see.

Our defense is so consistently good that I forget to mention it. Oh yeah, another team held below 30%, big deal. As someone else said earlier, the great thing is our defense does not fall off much if at all when we go to the bench.

This is everything (almost) we've dreamed of for lo these many years. Fun to watch, consistent, and getting better. Hope everyone is enjoying it!
I smiled

Had to watch on my phone and could still tell that the charge on Horston was bullsh*t. The NCAA needs to look at how they call charges. Letting short, squat, non-athletic players walk underneath a superstar while they are in the air is completely heinous. That’s how you ruin seasons and careers. Horston is a leader, whilst the dirty Vanderbilt player waddles underneath her midair. Unacceptable. And Kellie needs to make sure the entire NCAA knows her grievance about this. Prior to that she made all her floaters and was having a beautiful game. Amazing what happens with some dirty a$$ play. Is this what Ralphnis gonna do?
…easy 👻 boo… I watched and giggled 🤭 at all the face time the ex/con got vs Kellie’s

The first half the offense was impressive with shooting, defense, and rebounds despite the troubling turnovers. The 4th quarter was the first time this season where the Lady Vols were outhustled, all season! Good win but disappointing ending. Hope they learn they need to keep their focus and motivation throughout the entire game. As far as the turnovers, I thought we did a good job in the 3rd quarter passing it rather than dribbling it up the court. Then we regressed again in the 4th. I know Horston is known for her turnovers, but I actually think at this point I am more comfortable with her dribbling up the court than Walker or Miles when there is an intense press. She seems to be more in the flow of the game than ever before and keeps getting better. If she keeps getting better, can you imagine next year!!!

VN Store

Back