Required reading for Vol Hoops fans

bleedingTNorange

Take 10 minutes and read this article from Grant Ramey, Rick Barnes was very candid and open about quite a few topics and gave some very in depth answers, pretty rare to get this much from a coach mid season. He talks about BHH’s struggles and what he needs to do, talks about shooting woes, Victor Bailey and more…

Rick Barnes on Brandon Huntley-Hatfield: 'His teammates told him we need you'

Very Candid article. Makes you wonder if BHH will stay after this season? Will he figure 'it' out before the season is over? Could really use his size and skill.

Reactions: b_gann
I wish BHH could bring half of the intensity that ZZ brings every night. He'd be a lottery pick next year.
It's the difference in having everything come natural to you and being athletically superior all of your life, and having to scrap and claw for every inch in a game dominated by players 6+" talker than you.

The difference between having high-major offers since your freshman year, and having one D1 offer as recently as 8 months ago.

/Article didn't mention that BHH reclassified in recruiting getting him in college a year early. I think that's right? So, he is a year younger than a typical FR. Hope he finishes strong and has a huge year next year w OK and Eros. We could have a stacked front line next year if they all keep developing. So, let's go Brandon!

/Article didn't mention that BHH reclassified in recruiting getting him in college a year early. I think that's right? So, he is a year younger than a typical FR. Hope he finishes strong and has a huge year next year w OK and Eros. We could have a stacked front line next year if they all keep developing. So, let's go Brandon!
Pretty sure ZZ also reclassified too and he's undersized at his position. BHH physically is fine, it's the mental aspect that he's not.

Great write-up by Ramey, as always. I’m glad to see his teammates are impressing upon him the importance of effort as well. I’m sure the peer motivation goes even farther than that of your own coach.

But, man, I do have fears this is leading to an off-season portal situation. I hope not, and maybe I’ll too naturally pessimistic, but that article doesn’t exactly inspire hope that he’s going to “get it” at the clip Barnes wants him to get it.

It will be an interesting situation to follow. He has an NBA body and the flashes we’ve seen from him show why he was a 5-star. But, no telling if that ever materializes here.

It's the difference in having everything come natural to you and being athletically superior all of your life, and having to scrap and claw for every inch in a game dominated by players 6+" talker than you.

The difference between having high-major offers since your freshman year, and having one D1 offer as recently as 8 months ago.
See it happen all the time. At every level

To his comment about making mistakes and it getting in your head. Does it go both ways? What about on the offensive side of the ball? Someone missing a lot of shots in practice then goes into a game and misses a bunch and we lose. Does that not get into your head?

First, we need to give BHH who is not even a High School senior (age wise). NOTE: He just turned 18 in August, 2021!!!! The kid is BARELY 18!
He has challenges that other freshman - (who are a full year older than him) do not have.
He is uber talented. He is coming up to speed - a little slower due to his maturity.
Barnes is very straightforward. He KNOWS the bb business and development path.
I personally prefer the give the individual what he needs approach (rather than treat all people the same way) ... arm on the shoulder, kick in the pants, verbal dressing down, the man I love you speech, but..., peer conversations, motivational speakers, ... etc.
We are all individuals and have different things we respond to .. or are energized by. Knowing what the person needs is the messy, difficult part.
We have seen players leave the program ... I suspect that some of them do not respond to Rick's approaches AND who he is as a person (his values and ethics).
Think back ... Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Vescovi, Uros, ... they progressed ... at different rates but they DID get better over time. BHH will as well.
It's a wall ... he has to get past it. His teammates are cheering him on ... when he gets in the game. Shout his name a few times, LOUDLY!!!

Most people that turn 18 in the summer are freshmen. Freshmen are often 17 for several months when they start college. When going to a prep school for a year or being held back results in 19 year old freshmen. But kids mature at different rates. Some 18 year olds aren’t ready for college and college sports.

BHH is very young and having to adjust in a big way to the effort needed to compete and succeed at the major-college level. He's no doubt
a guy that, with his size and skills, dominated easily in high school and club ball--but major-college BB is a different animal, as he's learning. We
see this all the time in football as well--the top recruit who didn't have to work too hard to be a star in high school and so lacks the intensity needed
to compete in the SEC. Some adjust quickly, some slowly, some never. Let's hope BHH has the passion to work and get better.

BHH is very young and having to adjust in a big way to the effort needed to compete and succeed at the major-college level. He's no doubt
a guy that, with his size and skills, dominated easily in high school and club ball--but major-college BB is a different animal, as he's learning. We
see this all the time in football as well--the top recruit who didn't have to work too hard to be a star in high school and so lacks the intensity needed
to compete in the SEC. Some adjust quickly, some slowly, some never. Let's hope BHH has the passion to work and get better.
I like the word you used…INTENSITY…to me (don’t know BHH personally) he’s yet to understand the INTENSITY he needs every single time he hits that floor…practice or game. CLEARLY…he’s got all the physical tools and seems to have a great touch…but I’ve yet to see what seems to be INTENSITY! Did I mention…INTENSITY?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

That’s conjecture.

I like the word you used…INTENSITY…to me (don’t know BHH personally) he’s yet to understand the INTENSITY he needs every single time he hits that floor…practice or game. CLEARLY…he’s got all the physical tools and seems to have a great touch…but I’ve yet to see what seems to be INTENSITY! Did I mention…INTENSITY?

1642121545785.gif

Take 10 minutes and read this article from Grant Ramey, Rick Barnes was very candid and open about quite a few topics and gave some very in depth answers, pretty rare to get this much from a coach mid season. He talks about BHH’s struggles and what he needs to do, talks about shooting woes, Victor Bailey and more…

Rick Barnes on Brandon Huntley-Hatfield: 'His teammates told him we need you'
That’s all nice info to learn, but it changes nothing. At this point, with the time Rick has had to get settled and all the resources directed to basketball, mediocre offense and suspect recruiting is not going to be enough. Unless there is significant improvement, they will get embarrassed by several teams on the schedule.

Most people that turn 18 in the summer are freshmen. Freshmen are often 17 for several months when they start college. When going to a prep school for a year or being held back results in 19 year old freshmen. But kids mature at different rates. Some 18 year olds aren’t ready for college and college sports.
Most freshmen don’t start college at 17. That’s only if you skip a grade or start college early.

Did he get a fake ID? Rick knows how old he is and he took him. He’s got to own these player outcomes. If they are not developing, that’s on the coaches. Do all the players know where the weight room is? Admiral and Pons found it.

Most freshmen don’t start college at 17. That’s only if you skip a grade or start college early.

I was 17 when I started college. My sister was 17 for several months as a college freshman. Neither of us skipped a grade. Most kids are 6 years old when they begin 1st grade, not 7. Some, like my sister, we’re still 5. Very few high school sophomores are old enough to drive at the start of the school year because they are 15.

BUT… if BHH was held back somewhere along the way, he wasn’t only the biggest kid in his class. He would have also been the oldest. He’s probably just not too mature for somebody that physically able.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back