Cade Mays' $1,000,000.00.

Per Wiki:

Smokey VI served as mascot and presided over three SEC championships for Tennessee. His owner, the Rev. Bill Brooks, died during Smokey VI's tenure on September 17, 1986 at the age of 81. Brooks' wife, Mildred, then took over in caring for Smokey. During the 1991 UCLA game, Smokey suffered heat exhaustion in the 100+ degree temperatures and was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. A kennel mate named "Woody" took over for him while he recovered. Smokey VI died in late 1991 of brain cancer at 10 years old.

BTW his record was 67-23-6. Not too shabby, VI.

View attachment 427989

Thank you for the clarification.

Reactions: MontyPython
With Cade declaring for the draft, does this mean boosters didn't step up with his million dollar NIL deal? IIRC, rumor was that he was looking for the equivalent pay of a 3/4 round NFL pick. If true, does this suggest we're trailing TAM and others who purportedly are already paying a million for unproven 5* straight out of HS. Or was the money potentially there, but just not deemed prudent on Cade.

Bummed he's leaving, but wish him the best.
Signing day proved that.

Rashawn Slater of the KC Chiefs went from making zero money at Northwestern to making about $3 million a year at KC.

So you'd have me believe he wasn't worth a million last year but he's worth 3 million this year?
College vs Pro. I understand that some College players now think they are as good as the Pros, but 99.9 % are not.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
With Cade declaring for the draft, does this mean boosters didn't step up with his million dollar NIL deal? IIRC, rumor was that he was looking for the equivalent pay of a 3/4 round NFL pick. If true, does this suggest we're trailing TAM and others who purportedly are already paying a million for unproven 5* straight out of HS. Or was the money potentially there, but just not deemed prudent on Cade.

Bummed he's leaving, but wish him the best.

Yes... We will ALWAYS be behind the A&M's, Texas's, Oklahoma's, Fill in the blanks of the world.... Most Tennessee people are cheap and frugal, and will be very slow to pay millions to 17 year old's to play football. Of course there are a lot that pay to have their names on buildings that will remain for decades... but not sure if they will pay the NIL deals that others will. An advantage that we have is that we are one of the few states that does not have a state income tax.

I doubt he gets drafted that high anyways but I hope I’m wrong. He simply wasn’t worth that price. Hope he gets healthy and does well in the league.
True - He's always been a tad overvalued. Counter argument is he never really got to play his true position of G either. I think he can hang around the league for 3-4 years though. Hope he does well.

Best of luck to the young man, but his production and market value is well below that rate.

Rashawn Slater of the KC Chiefs went from making zero money at Northwestern to making about $3 million a year at KC.

So you'd have me believe he wasn't worth a million last year but he's worth 3 million this year?

Of course he made zero at Northwestern. Just like every other college lineman, that was his market worth. Businesses expect a tangible return on the money they spend. Remember how much foot traffic Alontae drove to the cookie shop? Some of you folks seem to think money grows on trees and NIL deals just happen.

If it's that important to you, take a big ole $1MM scoop out of your bucket and send it over to Cade. I'm sure Josh, the team and all of VolNation will appreciate it.
A $1.56/game bucket and $1mm bucket?

Don't get the equivalence. I'm talking power of large numbers here.

Of course he made zero at Northwestern. Just like every other college lineman, that was his market worth. Businesses expect a tangible return on the money they spend. Remember how much foot traffic Alontae drove to the cookie shop? Some of you folks seem to think money grows on trees and NIL deals just happen.
This continual denial that D1 athletes have been paid for decades is funny.

What was the ROI then?

Reactions: Devo182

What was the ROI then?
Some don't seem to understand what 90% of NiL really is.

It sure isn't NCAA Football turning a profit. The naivete is amazing. Probably the same that still deny the boogey(bag)man

What was the ROI then?

Ok, then if that's the case how come since everything is all nice and legal now why hasn't all of that money surfaced? A handful of superstar type players getting peanuts under the table ain't a full roster of players getting paid.

A $1.56/game bucket and $1mm bucket?

Don't get the equivalence. I'm talking power of large numbers here.

You really think the other players on the team would be OK if UT had a "pass the hat" for Cade as fans entered the stadium? LOL!

VN Store

Back