2023 Recruiting

Lady Vol fans should be the happiest fans in America (well maybe next to Georgia football). The best resurrection in college sports. From the edge of the abyss, firing a coach and hiring a mid-major coach that brought huge groans from many of the loyalists and then to #5 in the country in 3 years is almost miraculous. And without the best player.

I have taken the position that when KJH came back, she had no, or very little relationships with top 25 recruits. She had been focused on 50 and below at EMS. Knowing that recruiting begins in the 8th (or earlier) grade for the top players, KJH was 4 or 5 years behind the recruiting curve for top players. In contrast Shea Ralph and Kim Mulkey already were on a first name basis with the top high school freshmen when Kellie was just realizing she needed to get into the top 25 picture. 2023 is Kellies 4th year. She has her program in the running for a number of top 25 players and it is going to get better.

I wish you would tell us what people are saying about our program.

Same ole stuff that people blow off and i've mentioned multiple times.

Fans are not cast in a positive light which is ridiculous and do you really fit ... be it for whatever reason. It does happen.

Another thing is during Holly's tenure more than what we heard about got out and coaches still have their hands on things that do not paint us in a good light. The Te'a and Jaime fight (that was recorded and spread around) is just one of the do you really want ur kid going to a place teammates do that and they allow it. The bad thing the team recorded and streamed it i guess it had it go public...

The majority of players during that era will have graduated in a year or two so hopefully that helps will not be an issue.

There are other things i've heard too and your like damn it's 2022 come on but i won't get into that .

Take it for what it's worth but this recruiting game is cut throat and someone like kellie will not go to the lines to discredit and lie against other teams because the LV brand should sell itself.

I know you want more details but i actually can't (the site i'm apart of is on this board and i can't reveal stuff like i did once before 😳). Between that and living in the DMV you hear things i know it's just hearsay but somethings start to add up.

Last edited:
Lady Vol fans should be the happiest fans in America (well maybe next to Georgia football). The best resurrection in college sports. From the edge of the abyss, firing a coach and hiring a mid-major coach that brought huge groans from many of the loyalists and then to #5 in the country in 3 years is almost miraculous. And without the best player.

I have taken the position that when KJH came back, she had no, or very little relationships with top 25 recruits. She had been focused on 50 and below at EMS. Knowing that recruiting begins in the 8th (or earlier) grade for the top players, KJH was 4 or 5 years behind the recruiting curve for top players. In contrast Shea Ralph and Kim Mulkey already were on a first name basis with the top high school freshmen when Kellie was just realizing she needed to get into the top 25 picture. 2023 is Kellies 4th year. She has her program in the running for a number of top 25 players and it is going to get better.
Great perspective NO. I do find it interesting that your posts/thoughts turn to Shea Ralph a lot.
Care to give us your opinion on if Shea is the heir apparent, who else might be considered and when the coronation, I mean replacement, might occur.😬
Someone is going to complain about this not being in the non-Lady Vol News area. If you respond maybe someone will move it. I don’t know how to do that.

I would actually say 2and half yrs because Kellie missed almost half a year for covid-19.

Same ole stuff that people blow off and i've mentioned multiple times.

Fans are not cast in a positive light which is ridiculous and do you really fit ... be it for whatever reason. It does happen.

Another thing is during Holly's tenure more than what we heard about got out and coaches still have their hands on things that do not paint us in a good light. The Te'a and Jaime fight (that was recorded and spread around) is just one of the do you really want ur kid going to a place teammates do that and they allow it. The bad thing the team recorded and streamed it i guess it had it go public...

The majority of players during that era will have graduated in a year or two so hopefully that helps will not be an issue.

There are other things i've heard too and your like damn it's 2022 come on but i won't get into that .

Take it for what it's worth but this recruiting game is cut throat and someone like kellie will not go to the lines to discredit and lie against other teams because the LV brand should sell itself.

I know you want more details but i actually can't (the site i'm apart of is on this board and i can't reveal stuff like i did once before 😳). Between that and living in the DMV you hear things i know it's just hearsay but somethings start to add up.
That site is wild. The stuff why Cooper didn’t commit somewhat believable but Shade stuff not committing was crazy and a stretch. If anyone wants a Days of our Lives recruiting style, you should sign up for that site 😂

The irony is that he lost 2 players (Makurat and McLean) that could have been significant contributors this season...mainly Makurat. He basically signed three interchangeable players in the same class at the same position as her (Fudd, Ducharme, Poffenbarger), so he'd have to be blind to think that he'd keep all of them.

While I agree that the top kids want to play, it will be interesting to see if their criteria is that they want to play starter minutes as a freshman. It wasn't uncommon before to have top players come off the bench for their first 2 years, then take the reigns as a junior. So far, that hasn't been an issue for the SC or Stanford classes. Then you have UConn/Tenn freshmen that have benefitted from injuries to get more PT than was likely planned for. Whether players will continue to be patient in receiving minutes is probably going to be one of the more interesting storylines the next few years.

Agreed with the signing of Shade and Arnold(Muhl's Senior year) -Having Fudd Ducharme Bueckers Patterson Muhl won't see the court much. Wouldn't be shocked if she leaves. Poffenbarger was only freshman this seasons she knew who Uconn was recruiting. Where would her playing time be.

Last edited:
Shade has officially committed to UConn
How bizarre is this? She goes to UConn's game on an unofficial visit, leaves halfway through the 2nd half, and then...what? Commits on the plane? Seems that she made her decision right quick if other coaches were unfollowing her by the next morning. Strange...

How bizarre is this? She goes to UConn's game on an unofficial visit, leaves halfway through the 2nd half, and then...what? Commits on the plane? Seems that she made her decision right quick if other coaches were unfollowing her by the next morning. Strange...

She had Two unofficial visits with us and at least she took a good look at us ! An unofficial to UConn and a commit ? At least we got a good look ? I would rather more recruits make up their minds early rather than later , like our Justine and now Shade …..

Now everyone can move on to what’s next ? 🤷‍♂️

Totally lost confidence in the high school ranks as a source for us right now. We are great at getting in the top eight even the top four, but never the winner. Our last recruit Justine didn't have a list it was Tennessee all the way. Regardless of what happens with 2023 we need another center and another point guard plus a 3-4 slasher paint scorer. They need to have more than one year eligibility and would be the replacements for Key and Horston after they graduate next season. They would also provide backups at those positions next season.

It is not illegal to pay players anymore. It is called a NIL but any coach that has a rich booster or two can work it into recruiting and the offering for players. I look for it to be a huge factor for a lot of top players sooner than later. The NCAA can't do anything about it if a coach tells a player you sign with us and you will get a 100 thousand dollars Nil deal from day one. This will give the coaches that are and have always been dishonest another option to get the best recruits. I don't know if it is happening now, but it is coming. The teams and schools that will suffer the most are the ones who are honest and decline to get in this game. They may need to look for another profession in the coming years as lack of talent is the quickest way to lose your job. You only need to get three or four top players a season to be a constant winner. I am sure there are plenty of booster fans at some schools willing to put out a half million dollars or even a million to guarantee a winner every season. I'm sure some will even be willing to do whatever it takes. Boosters finally got their golden ticket will be interesting if anything is done to at least cap it or control this new found way to recruit the best in anyway.

Amb3096: Keep an eye on this young lady 6-4 Ciera Toomey out of PA Dunmore HS. Was looking for to seeing her play against NJ St. John Vianney in the NJ Blue Star Invitational but it was Postponed last Sunday i`m in NYC. But will be driving down to NJ watch 9-1 Red bank Catholic with J. Pissott do battle against 8-0 top rank St. John Vianney led by 2023 5-10 Zoe Brooks should be a good one tip time 6:30pm Jan 17, 2022 Note because Uconn is one of Toomey final 8 schools they are not a lock as of yet. And for it`s worth TN never offered her just putting that out there.

Reactions: Amb3096
I would rather more recruits make up their minds early rather than later , like our Justine and now Shade …..
In the best interest of the schools and fans, but not the players themselves. Anyways, Shade and Arnold's commitments does probably close the door on UConn for any other top tier guards that were considering UConn them, which is also good news.

🍿👀... does thou smell something foul afoot?

In the best interest of the schools and fans, but not the players themselves. Anyways, Shade and Arnold's commitments does probably close the door on UConn for any other top tier guards that were considering UConn them, which is also good news.

i am curious if it will have an impact on Cambridge.

The something "weird" that is happening that I have noticed is that the basketball team that is already here seems to be playing much better than I thought they would. And the weird thing is, they don't seem to be playing over their heads. It looks like they really are that good. Like they are playing up to there potential. I'm not really seeing any times on the court when I am thinking, "Oh no! So and so has the the ball, we are in trouble." I guess I am going to trust Kellie and the assistant coaches for a while and see how it goes.

VN Store

Back