2023 Recruiting

The fact his teams are underperforming may lead to more underperforming. This is just my take but Ive followed Uconn for a long time cause I love Women's Bball. I am a Vol fan though. It seems to me Geno is a bit lost right now.. His teams having underperformed has him struggling. I think you can see it his interviews and on court. He has always put a great product and a TEAM on the floor.The last few years I feel like he's just recruiting the best players he can get but they don't all fit his program. This has led to recruiting over players whether fans want to see it or not. there have been more and more transfers over the last few years. It's all guesswork like anyone else but if he doesn't get back to doing what he did so well prior to this drought he may very well head downward.
Well, losing in the Final Four, it's hard to feel like that is underperforming. Even if it's against teams where UConn is favored. I tend to give the team that wins credit for winning and not blame the team that loses for losing.

Teams are getting better and more upsets happen.

Covid has taken the starch out of more than just Geno. And I'm sure any coach would feel a little down with injury situation that UConn has had and the Covid infections.

I'm sure you noticed that there is a transfer portal and players don't have to sit out a year. How many players were in the portal last year? As of May 22nd, 2021 over a thousand women basketball student-athletes have entered the transfer portal and over thirty programs have more than five players transferring from the school. The number of female student-athletes in the portal has more than doubled from last season's total of 490.

There are already 113 players in the portal for the 2021-22 season.

Clearly teams have hits and misses and the misses now tend to leave. At UConn it's mostly players that are at the end of the bench. You can't blame kids for leaving. They want to play.

He has a great 2022 class and is working on an even better 2023 class. Doubtful they are heading downward as long as Bueckers is on the team.

Clearly teams have hits and misses and the misses now tend to leave. At UConn it's mostly players that are at the end of the bench. You can't blame kids for leaving. They want to play.

The irony is that he lost 2 players (Makurat and McLean) that could have been significant contributors this season...mainly Makurat. He basically signed three interchangeable players in the same class at the same position as her (Fudd, Ducharme, Poffenbarger), so he'd have to be blind to think that he'd keep all of them.

While I agree that the top kids want to play, it will be interesting to see if their criteria is that they want to play starter minutes as a freshman. It wasn't uncommon before to have top players come off the bench for their first 2 years, then take the reigns as a junior. So far, that hasn't been an issue for the SC or Stanford classes. Then you have UConn/Tenn freshmen that have benefitted from injuries to get more PT than was likely planned for. Whether players will continue to be patient in receiving minutes is probably going to be one of the more interesting storylines the next few years.

The irony is that he lost 2 players (Makurat and McLean) that could have been significant contributors this season...mainly Makurat. He basically signed three interchangeable players in the same class at the same position as her (Fudd, Ducharme, Poffenbarger), so he'd have to be blind to think that he'd keep all of them.

While I agree that the top kids want to play, it will be interesting to see if their criteria is that they want to play starter minutes as a freshman. It wasn't uncommon before to have top players come off the bench for their first 2 years, then take the reigns as a junior. So far, that hasn't been an issue for the SC or Stanford classes. Then you have UConn/Tenn freshmen that have benefitted from injuries to get more PT than was likely planned for. Whether players will continue to be patient in receiving minutes is probably going to be one of the more interesting storylines the next few years.
Makurat turned pro. Not sure I would call her a transfer. But she would have been helpful this year for sure.

No transfers at South Carolina? Gamecocks' multiple transfers highlight troubling trend in women's college basketball

Makurat turned pro. Not sure I would call her a transfer. But she would have been helpful this year for sure.

No transfers at South Carolina? Gamecocks' multiple transfers highlight troubling trend in women's college basketball
I'm sure Makurat turned pro because of the writing on the wall.

Not sure what the point is of bringing up an article of SC players transferring once they started to heat up on the recruiting trail. I'm talking about the current roster.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I'm sure Makurat turned pro because of the writing on the wall.

Not sure what the point is of bringing up an article of SC players transferring once they started to heat up on the recruiting trail. I'm talking about the current roster.
ok. I thought it was relevant but I see your point.

Nobody's talking SC so why throw them into the debate?? We are talking Uconn period
Amb3096 brought up South Carolina. And Stanford.

"So far, that hasn't been an issue for the SC or Stanford classes."

He meant the 2021 class. I didn't realize that when I posted that link.

Well, losing in the Final Four, it's hard to feel like that is underperforming. Even if it's against teams where UConn is favored. I tend to give the team that wins credit for winning and not blame the team that loses for losing.

Teams are getting better and more upsets happen.

Covid has taken the starch out of more than just Geno. And I'm sure any coach would feel a little down with injury situation that UConn has had and the Covid infections.

I'm sure you noticed that there is a transfer portal and players don't have to sit out a year. How many players were in the portal last year? As of May 22nd, 2021 over a thousand women basketball student-athletes have entered the transfer portal and over thirty programs have more than five players transferring from the school. The number of female student-athletes in the portal has more than doubled from last season's total of 490.

There are already 113 players in the portal for the 2021-22 season.

He has a great 2022 class and is working on an even better 2023 class. Doubtful they are heading downward as long as Bueckers is on the team.

Of course AZ deserves credit BUT BE REAL! Uconn wasn't just favored- look at the roster makeups. Come on be objective - Those teams were not close in talent. This isn't the mens game where a 25th ranked team can beat #1 on any given night. AZ had one Mcdonalds AA and there next ranked player was probably #58 (McDonald)...Uconn had 3 #1s including the College POY a generational player, a #5 and the 25th 30th and 33rd recruit , the highest rated foreign player, and more. They were lucky to get to the final 4 and then lose to such an inferior team on paper. Kidd yourself all you want.

Against MS State you had 2 #1s plus Collier Williams and Nurse. Sorry way more talent.

Stanford faced obstacles all last year didn't seem to affect Tara - She won another NC. Kelly Lost her best player doesn't seem to affect her. look what Kim is doing in her first year at LSU... Sorry this is how I see it - Geno needs to win so badly right now he's throwing a net out and doesn't care if they are fits unlike most of his career.

Your transfer portal argument makes no sense. lol The portal issue has not hurt Uconn at all. The players they lost had no impact on the team. The players they've taken in have helped. Sure and it is obvious that bench players might want to play more but when Geno or any coach is recruiting the same position the player sees the writing on the wall. Mclean and Saylor were only starting their sophomore year. If you think all these players made the decision to leave you are being foolish. At least a % probably met with Geno after the season and he put the writing on the wall. EVERY coach does this. Geno brought in better payers that's recruiting over players Someone mention in another post. Go back and look at the recruits and positions they play - They will have more transfers after this year watch.

He's had two great classes ranked in the top 2 the last 2 years with 2 #1 recruits and both considered generational talent plus all the others . So far 0-1. This season has yet to play out but I doubt they win. I might eat my words though. So your point that because he has amazing classes might give him an edge on paper before a game is played but judging of late if it's anything like the last two classes he might not even make the championship game.

It does seem odd you claim to be a Rutgers fan. I don't buy it. But I'm honest with myself I could be wrong but I trust my gut reading your posts on the boneyard and here. By the way you defend the program at times and the Rutgers Uconn rivalry it seems off. If you are a Uconn fan you should be proud I'm serious.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I believe Ralph's actual quote was "Culture eats strategy for breakfast (believe that was the meal mentioned). Which I took to mean that culture trumps and dominates strategy. Then again, she might have been trying to say that culture relies upon strategy for nourishment.

That's the problem...you never can tell what these ex-Conns mean.
Shea went on to say that she could be a great Xs and Os coach but if they did not have a culture of trust then the players wouldn't listen to her strategy. But if the players know they can trust the coaches and that the coaches have the players best interest as people at heart then the team will play together. She said that's what we are trying to develop here a culture of trust and confidence in each other.

I can see both what you and he are saying. Getting kids to sign on the dotted line is the end result but as a fan when you hear some of the stuff that's being said it is bothersome.

Wishing Ashlynn a healthy career and as a group looking forward to the continued growth and development of Kellies players and team chemistry. This may be a bummer but i'm enjoying Kellie coach up so called less when those that have more are struggling lol
I wish you would tell us what people are saying about our program.

VN Store

Back