Refrigerators

So looks like our 6 to 8 year old Samsung refrigerator is in the transfer portal.

What's everyone's current recommendation?

I know it's not really a good time to be looking for one but it isn't giving us much of a choice. I don't think we want another Samsung as we were never to happy with this one to begin with.

Reactions: tntar heel
So looks like our 6 to 8 year old Samsung refrigerator is in the transfer portal.

I know it's not really a good time to be looking for one but it isn't giving us much of a choice. I don't think we want another Samsung as we were never to happy with this one to begin with.
The days of 20 year fridges is over. They are made to last 10 years at most. Any minor repair will be $300+.

We will be getting one soon. LG probably, but I've been told in some rural areas repair parts can be a problem.
Fwiw, we have Samsung. They make great TVs.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
My caution would be that the Asia companies are heavy on the electronic features and light on the mechanical (refrigeration.) I tend to stay with the US/European refrigerators - Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Bosch, Smeg - because they are so mechanical based. They are declining, but still have a lot of inertia.
Somebody had a Whirlpool employee discount they were sharing.....which covers more than just the whirlpool brand.

We recently put in a KitchenAid and it's been great. Got a little bit bigger one and like the extra space

One thing worth checking is the height of the fridge. I bought a new house last summer and the previous owners included the fridge in the deal. It's a Kitchen Aid and it's a half inch taller than most fridges and won't go all the way back in the cabinet. I'm going to have to have the lower lip on the cabinet above the fridge trimmed about a 1/4 inch to get it back to the intended "flush mounting".

As for what to buy I personally think "configuration" is the most important. Do you like side by side, top or bottom freezers. I prefer the bottom freezer. Also, lots of options on new fridges, pass through doors, bluetooth, etc. find what fits your needs then shop.

We purchased a Whirlpool that took over 3 months to arrive after ordering it. We went with model WRS588FIHZ, we did not get something with all the bells and whistles because we neither wanted nor needed those features. Our fridge has worked without any problems but we have only had it 6 months. My recommendation is not so much on which brand but more on a strategy. We purchased an 2nd refrigerator from offer up for the garage for drinks and such. There are some really good deals to be had there and my wife likes to haggle so it added the benefit of her arguing with someone else other than me. With the lag time on parts, replacement, or to order a new refrigerator we at least have something to bridge the gap so that we are not living out of an igloo cooler like we did after building our house.

@volwindy, we updated the appliances in our kitchen summer of 2011. Then, Consumer Reports reported Whirlpool refrigerators as having the fewest complaints and repairs. We chose the Whirlpool Gold side-by-side with stainless steel front. It performed without issue until last year, when the ice maker quit working. That's 10 years of flawless performance. The part is available to fix the most likely cause of our ice maker ceasing to function. I just haven't been motivated to do it. I've still got old fashioned ice trays and have been making do with those. Maybe when I retire... :cool:

Our fridge was made in Mexico and sold under the Whirlpool and KitchenAid brands.

Presently, Consumer Reports reports 64% of new refrigerator purchases are French door types, 20% are side-by-sides, 6% are bottom freezers, and 5% are top freezers. Built-ins and other specialties make of the remainder. CR's ratings and recommendations are by these styles.

French Door: top-rated models by size are LGs, other recommended models include Whirlpools and GEs
Side-by-side: top-rated models by size include smaller GE and larger LG, other recommended include Amana, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Samsung
Top Freezer: top-rated models include smaller Whirlpool, mid-sized LG, and larger Samsung; recommended models include these and Frigidaires. There are a few single entries by other manufacturers.
Bottom Freezer: top-rated models are LGs, other recommended models include GEs and Amanas.

Note: I had a basic Amana top freezer model for 15 years. I gave it to my son-in-law's mother in 2007. Likely, it's still performing without a hitch for somebody somewhere.

When we were looking in 2020:

We had GE and didn't want that again. Read to stay away from Samsung.

Loved an LG at the store, but at the time they were going through some class action lawsuits because of a part that was going bad after a year or so of use and they were replacing it with the same part, still causing issues. So I didn't care for how they were handling things and didn't want to play the game of getting an okay one or the lemon.

Kitchenaid came highly recommended but we needed a counter depth fridge and I didn't like the space in theirs.

We ended up with Bosch. More expensive, but it is a taller counter fridge, so we love the space it gave. Went from side by side to fridge on top and freezer on bottom.

Local independent appliance dealer says Frigidaire/Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid before all others. From a service and repair perspective he said those are the 3 that get the least of his attention. Said he always seems to be replacing ice makers in Samsung within a year.

@volwindy, we updated the appliances in our kitchen summer of 2011. Then, Consumer Reports reported Whirlpool refrigerators as having the fewest complaints and repairs. We chose the Whirlpool Gold side-by-side with stainless steel front. It performed without issue until last year, when the ice maker quit working. That's 10 years of flawless performance. The part is available to fix the most likely cause of our ice maker ceasing to function. I just haven't been motivated to do it. I've still got old fashioned ice trays and have been making do with those. Maybe when I retire... :cool:

Our fridge was made in Mexico and sold under the Whirlpool and KitchenAid brands.
A suggestion when you do replace the icemaker....use a genuine whirlpool. I bought an Amazon knock off to save about $20 (25%) only to have it constantly freeze over and not spill the ice (cheap motor?) Needless to say after some encouragement from Mrs Wireless I when to Pattersons and got the genuine part....ice gallor...

Reactions: Tin Man
Wife wanted a Samsung. It's been fine so far.

There's nothing fancy about it (no see through door or app crap)

When we were looking in 2020:

We had GE and didn't want that again. Read to stay away from Samsung.

Loved an LG at the store, but at the time they were going through some class action lawsuits because of a part that was going bad after a year or so of use and they were replacing it with the same part, still causing issues. So I didn't care for how they were handling things and didn't want to play the game of getting an okay one or the lemon.

Kitchenaid came highly recommended but we needed a counter depth fridge and I didn't like the space in theirs.

We ended up with Bosch. More expensive, but it is a taller counter fridge, so we love the space it gave. Went from side by side to fridge on top and freezer on bottom.
You grossly over thought the LG thing. By the time they are being sued the problem is fixed

What's everyone's thoughts on the French door style in particular the pullout freezer drawer?🤔

Right now were thinking on going with an old school standard refrigerator and then move it to the garage (where we have one that's probably 20+ years old) when there might be more of a selection in stores later in the year.

One thing worth checking is the height of the fridge. I bought a new house last summer and the previous owners included the fridge in the deal. It's a Kitchen Aid and it's a half inch taller than most fridges and won't go all the way back in the cabinet. I'm going to have to have the lower lip on the cabinet above the fridge trimmed about a 1/4 inch to get it back to the intended "flush mounting".

As for what to buy I personally think "configuration" is the most important. Do you like side by side, top or bottom freezers. I prefer the bottom freezer. Also, lots of options on new fridges, pass through doors, bluetooth, etc. find what fits your needs then shop.

Already had that problem with the one that's acting up.

We purchased a Whirlpool that took over 3 months to arrive after ordering it. We went with model WRS588FIHZ, we did not get something with all the bells and whistles because we neither wanted nor needed those features. Our fridge has worked without any problems but we have only had it 6 months. My recommendation is not so much on which brand but more on a strategy. We purchased an 2nd refrigerator from offer up for the garage for drinks and such. There are some really good deals to be had there and my wife likes to haggle so it added the benefit of her arguing with someone else other than me. With the lag time on parts, replacement, or to order a new refrigerator we at least have something to bridge the gap so that we are not living out of an igloo cooler like we did after building our house.

That's like what we're looking at similar to the Samsung that's having problems.

Yeah I don't need a refrigerator that's connected to internet etc...

What's everyone's thoughts on the French door style in particular the pullout freezer drawer?🤔

Right now were thinking on going with an old school standard refrigerator and then move it to the garage (where we have one that's probably 20+ years old) when there might be more of a selection in stores later in the year.
Our thoughts on the bottom freezer were that we were going to run into the same problems we had with a top freezer in finding stuff in the freezer and having to dig for crap. With the side by side that we have the ice maker/water dispenser is on the inside of the door itself so it doesn't take up space for food. we have dedicated shelves for beef and chicken, pork and seafood, and ice cream. Drawer for veggies and space in door for quick munchies. We've never had a bottom freezer so I am unsure if perceived problem listed above actually is a problem. Just trying to pass along our thought process. All in all I am pleased with what we purchased but it's not like I had a real say if wife wanted something else.

You'll run into the same issues that people hit with a chest freezer - digging around to find things. Now I do like the little drawer for kids snacks between the fridge and freezer but it wasn't enough to override the digging

Wife wanted a Samsung. It's been fine so far.

There's nothing fancy about it (no see through door or app crap)

I've bought a couple used dryers from a local repair/reseller. He had a used Samsung with the middle pullout. Had it plugged in and running. Said he hadn't gone thru it yet but it was working fine. He said the main knock on Samsungs is the ice maker longevity takes a bad rap for 12-18 months of initial dependability.

Our thoughts on the bottom freezer were that we were going to run into the same problems we had with a top freezer in finding stuff in the freezer and having to dig for crap. With the side by side that we have the ice maker/water dispenser is on the inside of the door itself so it doesn't take up space for food. we have dedicated shelves for beef and chicken, pork and seafood, and ice cream. Drawer for veggies and space in door for quick munchies. We've never had a bottom freezer so I am unsure if perceived problem listed above actually is a problem. Just trying to pass along our thought process. All in all I am pleased with what we purchased but it's not like I had a real say if wife wanted something else.
This is my experience as well.

The Cafe fridge is nice, well lit interior, however, it would seem to dark with the dark gray interior.

I've had good luck with Whirlpool appliances and will find it hard to stray.

VN Store

Back