Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have hit on Pearce and Josephs, and land Herring in this class, our pass rush should be immensely better in the coming years. We need to be patient while those players turn into juniors and seniors. That defense for GA was all upperclassmen.

i was looking at a list of their draft eligible players and seniors this morning. All the guys committed to senior bowl, etc. Wow its gonna look like a new team next season in alot of areas.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Okay I'll bet you one big helpin of crow that somehow we will be worse with....

Our entire coaching staff back

90% of our starters back including our QB who just broke some TN passing records, and has all his TE's back, a bunch of promising young receivers, a transfer with 1st round potential and Cedric Tillman who just had 1,000 yards.

A top 15 class and the cumulative effect of all the transfers we have gotten and will get by fall camp
The defense will be worse, the offense will be about the same but defenses well be a little better prepared for us.

I really hope we can improve our win total but I just don't see it happening.

I just want to see us winning 10 games again first...and entering year 2 isn't the year to expect those results.

We had a year where we surprised some folks, had the ability to win 9 or 10 games with some better breaks/officiating and despite all that still won 7 and made a bowl. They got a top 20 recruiting class, better than I expected even and it could be firmly in the top 15 with a few more recruits.

So now we gotta see if in year 2 how well we do with the SEC having a year of film to look at to try and figure out how to handle this offense. If we're winning 7+ and once again in games that we can win with better breaks then I'll be pretty damn happy. Then we need to see a step-up in recruiting, next year's class has to be borderline top 10 imo for us to continue to close the gap and compete.

If we have hit on Pearce and Josephs, and land Herring in this class, our pass rush should be immensely better in the coming years. We need to be patient while those players turn into juniors and seniors. That defense for GA was all upperclassmen.
I am getting tired of counting on freshmen to come in and ball out every year. We need those guys to sit back and develop. Really need portal guys.

Reactions: VolByLaw
i was looking at a list of their draft eligible players and seniors this morning. All the guys committed to senior bowl, etc. Wow its gonna look like a new team next season in alot of areas.
And yet many on here will be calling for Heupel's head if we aren't playing elite at every position in year 3. Josephs and Pearce will be sophomores. We need to give him time to get his players and develop them. We don't know what kind of coach we have until he has his own recruits as upperclassmen.

Unless the program is torpedoing like it was with Pruitt, we have to give him time.

I just want to see us winning 10 games again first...and entering year 2 isn't the year to expect those results.

We had a year where we surprised some folks, had the ability to win 9 or 10 games with some better breaks/officiating and despite all that still won 7 and made a bowl. They got a top 20 recruiting class, better than I expected even and it could be firmly in the top 15 with a few more recruits.

So now we gotta see if in year 2 how well we do with the SEC having a year of film to look at to try and figure out how to handle this offense. If we're winning 7+ and once again in games that we can win with better breaks then I'll be pretty damn happy. Then we need to see a step-up in recruiting, next year's class has to be borderline top 10 imo for us to continue to close the gap and compete.
good points

Also:
Our biggest priority this offseason, aside from bolstering the roster, should be to lobby for changes around the fake injuries. Until the officiating changes, we have a ceiling on our success and an anchor tied to our overall progress in this larger rebuild.

Eventually we will have better players across the board and won't depend on our system to be the equalizer, but right now our best weapon is our uniqueness. The way the game is officiated now, we aren't able to lean on our unique style.

The defense will be worse, the offense will be about the same but defenses well be a little better prepared for us.

I really hope we can improve our win total but I just don't see it happening.

I'm not sure the defense will be worse...I feel like RG getting more weapons and another spring to help develop returning talent will be big. Feel like the younger guys in the secondary are more talented than who was playing ahead of them so hopefully another spring gets them better equipped to start.

Offense I think we'll be better, mostly because I think Neyor is a better WR than Velus or Payton and that will hopefully allow Tillman to feast even more. I also think our RB talent just improved, and if they land a solid transfer it'll be even better. Question mark will be the OL and if they can improve and take another step.

Nothing about that statement has anything to do with Heupel though....as McGill has pointed out the buy-in from Georgia is there and unmatched. If we're all objective here, removing the orange tinted glasses when can you remember the last time any UT coach stacking 6+ years of top 10 classes? We need more than just Heupel and staff to be killing it to get to this level of talent is my point and it's the same thing McGill is saying as well I think. Until everyone involved (boosters, admin, coaches, staff, etc.) are all at the same level as folks in Bama or Georgia we're not going to have equal talent.

Where Kirby's classes have ended up:
2022 - 3rd
2021 - 4th
2020 - 1st
2019 - 2nd
2018 - 1st
2017 - 3rd
2016 - 6th

The 3 previous classes Kirby inherited:
2015 - 6th
2014 - 8th
2013 - 12th

And not just talent and buy in, either. The starting point for Kirbs and Heup in everything from current history and standing in the league, to support systems in place and good current relationships, couldn't be any more different.

Looking good as far as coaching but yeah, the number of obstacles Heup inherited, you're not alone on the "while I'm still above ground" concern.
BUT...Rubbing rival fan's faces in it, just might be my incentive to to give my life expectancy the middle finger.
Totally worth it.

thanks

yeh i dont see how they watched that secondary, pass rush and LB play this yr and still have no real urgency to address it. Hopefully it'll play out and we pickup a few guys. Need it bad for sure.
We only have a few a spots….. several of the transfers knew where they going when they hit the portal…. Our staff is being selective with who they take…. The worse thing they can do is take someone who they don’t feel will make our team better….

I am getting tired of counting on freshmen to come in and ball out every year. We need those guys to sit back and develop. Really need portal guys.
We also have young guys that they were trying to develop behind the scenes…. I bet we have a few of those guys take a step forward this year.

A thought regarding playoff expansion, using win probabilities via a combination of SP+/FPI/FEI.

Chance of Bama or Georgia winning championship:

4-team playoff: 76.9%
12-team playoff: 57.1%

I’d love to see higher chances of some other teams getting into the mix. I think the expansion would help.

Yeah seems it's been that way at least the last 3 years, yet UT seems to beat even their best teams lol...we to them, are like Florida to us sadly.

Kentucky has an easy schedule compared to others, especially us. Maybe they can beat more than one FBS team with a winning record this season.

A thought regarding playoff expansion, using win probabilities via a combination of SP+/FPI/FEI.

Chance of Bama or Georgia winning championship:

4-team playoff: 76.9%
12-team playoff: 57.1%

I’d love to see higher chances of some other teams getting into the mix. I think the expansion would help.
I wish we could wait and see the 4-team playoff in a post-Saban world, but I don't think he's going to walk away anytime soon.

Evans about to lose his position coach at Ole Miss. Hopefully his head coach too.

But he got payed and that is all that matters in 2022 recruiting for some kids. Some recruits are willing to chase a couple hundred thousand, without thinking about how it might impact the millions they could earn in the NFL.

And not just talent and buy in, either. The starting point for Kirbs and Heup in everything from current history and standing in the league, to support systems in place and good current relationships, couldn't be any more different.

Looking good as far as coaching but yeah, the number of obstacles Heup inherited, you're not alone on the "while I'm still above ground" concern.
BUT...Rubbing rival fan's faces in it, just might be my incentive to to give my life expectancy the middle finger.
Totally worth it.

The other thing is Barnes is "there" in getting talent...and the results haven't followed (yet). So I'm maybe not as optimistic as I would have been during any of the previous coaching eras...

I think Barnes' philosophy is a bit behind the current game, and Heupel is a bit ahead of the curve (offensively at least). So hopefully that gives us a better foundation to get to the equal talent quicker. But football unlike basketball you need to stack top recruiting classes since you need depth. So really 3 or 4 top recruiting classes before you're on the same playing field as the big boys.

But he got payed and that is all that matters in 2022 recruiting for some kids. Some recruits are willing to chase a couple hundred thousand, without thinking about how it might impact the millions they could earn in the NFL.
He’s at an SEC school that just won 10 games. His millions in the NFL aren’t in jeopardy by making a hundred thousand now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back