PWO and NIL

EBFVOL

Sooo if we could offer and convince 3 and 4 star kids to accept NIL deals but come PW is that a loop hole in the current scholarship numbers? It may have been addressed already but I’m curious.

If it’s not it should be a rule. They should have to be on scholarship to get NIL money. Otherwise it’ll get abused to Timbuktu
If this continues, it's going to kill FCS and D2.

Those schools need the low 3 stars that FBS schools don't sign. If they start going to FBS schools on "NIL Scholarships," it's really going to water down the lower division programs.

Reactions: Sammy Joe
If it’s not it should be a rule. They should have to be on scholarship to get NIL money. Otherwise it’ll get abused to Timbuktu
That is not possible based on the court ruling. The NIL ruling simply states everyone has a right to utilize and profit from their name, image, and likeness. No one can restrict that in any way.

That is not possible based on the court ruling. The NIL ruling simply states everyone has a right to utilize and profit from their name, image, and likeness. No one can restrict that in any way.

I am betting the NCAA is exploring several ways to control the processes legally.

I am thinking they can establish NIL cap numbers, where each school will have a limit but zero restrictions on each player. He will have his choice of schools with room. Similar competitive controls like scholarship limits. Just like NFL salary cap. Schools can have players with a bunch of small deals or a few big ones. I have heard the deals cannot be linked to performance or to playing for particular schools. His image, his likeness, not the school's pantone number. He can be a QB at TAM or Vandy. Hundreds of schools willing to accept a guy under their cap. If he gets a deal during a school year that exceeds the school's limit he can immediately enter the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuzyVol
Simple solution: decrease everyone’s active roster size to 60 on game days. You can still have up to 25 reserve players on the practice squad that could be elevated for injury purposes. The talent pool would be more evenly distributed across the country this way imo.

Simple solution: decrease everyone’s active roster size to 60 on game days. You can still have up to 25 reserve players on the practice squad that could be elevated for injury purposes. The talent pool would be more evenly distributed across the country this way imo.
This. Scholarship, walk on, starter, practice squad... whatever. Just say "the roster cap is x number of players, period". I guess it'll mean scholarship reductions for sanctions aren't really a meaningful thing, though, so long as someone's willing to pony up.

I think this is a good idea. You could probably acheive a lot by changing the roster limits. Go from 85 scholarships to 80. Go from 105 (or whatever the total cap is) to 95, and then limit the game day roster as you say. That, and maybe allow a fifth year of eligibility if a player has graduated.

I think the super-senior year made this year more competitive overall.

And for those looking to put a cap on the amount of money players can earn (salary cap), that’s not going to happen until the SEC decides to disband from the NCAA and be NFLjr. It will just introduce more lawsuits and the players will eventually win because you cannot limit how much money someone attempts to make. We can agree or disagree all we want on NIL but that part of it will not change. It’s pretty much the Wild West right now so they definitely need to do something, and the only way I see the NCAA trying to control NIL is by instituting the stricter roster limits. I don’t know of anything else that will make the playing field more fair.

Reactions: 1world1love
And for those looking to put a cap on the amount of money players can earn (salary cap), that’s not going to happen until the SEC decides to disband from the NCAA and be NFLjr. It will just introduce more lawsuits and the players will eventually win because you cannot limit how much money someone attempts to make. We can agree or disagree all we want on NIL but that part of it will not change. It’s pretty much the Wild West right now so they definitely need to do something, and the only way I see the NCAA trying to control NIL is by instituting the stricter roster limits. I don’t know of anything else that will make the playing field more fair.

Yeah, exactly. The horse has left the barn and any chance the NCAA had to even keep it fenced in has long passed. They will now have to get creative and control what they can to keep it from getting even more out of hand.

I know it won't be popular, but I would even be in favor of limiting HS recruiting classes to 20. This might also help distribute talent across FBS.

To me, the goal is not to aim for parity per se, but if the game is to survive NIL, it is imperative that teams not be able to stockpile all the talent. At current, what we are seeing is that the top handful of teams are essentially just swapping 5 stars. "Hey Ryan. This is Nick on the phone. I'll send a 5 star CB your way if you have a spare 5 star ILB for me."

Reactions: VolPack22
Yeah, exactly. The horse has left the barn and any chance the NCAA had to even keep it fenced in has long passed. They will now have to get creative and control what they can to keep it from getting even more out of hand.

I know it won't be popular, but I would even be in favor of limiting HS recruiting classes to 20. This might also help distribute talent across FBS.

To me, the goal is not to aim for parity per se, but if the game is to survive NIL, it is imperative that teams not be able to stockpile all the talent. At current, what we are seeing is that the top handful of teams are essentially just swapping 5 stars. "Hey Ryan. This is Nick on the phone. I'll send a 5 star CB your way if you have a spare 5 star ILB for me."
Heck I would be in favor of dropping it all the way to 15 lol

Reactions: 1world1love
If this continues, it's going to kill FCS and D2.

Those schools need the low 3 stars that FBS schools don't sign. If they start going to FBS schools on "NIL Scholarships," it's really going to water down the lower division programs.
The same roster limit is still in effect. It's not like FBS schools can just expand and add 20 more walkons.

I am betting the NCAA is exploring several ways to control the processes legally.

I am thinking they can establish NIL cap numbers, where each school will have a limit but zero restrictions on each player. He will have his choice of schools with room. Similar competitive controls like scholarship limits. Just like NFL salary cap. Schools can have players with a bunch of small deals or a few big ones. I have heard the deals cannot be linked to performance or to playing for particular schools. His image, his likeness, not the school's pantone number. He can be a QB at TAM or Vandy. Hundreds of schools willing to accept a guy under their cap. If he gets a deal during a school year that exceeds the school's limit he can immediately enter the portal.
I'm thinking that the NCAA has not a clue as to next steps. The same leadership, and lack thereof, and the same legal staff that blindly flailed around all the way to the SCOTUS is still in place and making incredible money doing zilch. The committee trying to hammer out an expanded playoff is mired in disarray.
I'm thinking that NIL's have not, and will not, be managed by a bunch of trite throwaway comments by the residents of message boards. Nil's are probably not as evil as imagined nor as inconsequential as hope. Just one old guys view.

The same roster limit is still in effect. It's not like FBS schools can just expand and add 20 more walkons.
There is a pre season limit of 105. Once the first day of class starts, there is an unlimited number. You can have has many as you want.
85 scholarships…..but unlimited walk-ons

Reactions: BristolVol
SCOTUS disagrees. Harshly. You can't restrict if a human being can earn side money on their own time. SCOTUS just reinforced the obvious.

Not "just like salary cap"

Those are deals negotiated with a players' union and have zero to do with how much the same guys can earn with endorsements.

SCOTUS disagrees. Harshly. You can't restrict if a human being can earn side money on their own time. SCOTUS just reinforced the obvious.
The scotus case was about educational benefits provided by the schools. It dealt with the NCAA being a monopsony. Not really the same as NIL. But regardless there’s no way they’d make a rule restricting NIL to only scholarship players

There is a pre season limit of 105. Once the first day of class starts, there is an unlimited number. You can have has many as you want.
85 scholarships…..but unlimited walk-ons
How many of these type players do you think are going to:
1) accept non-PWO status where they can't workout with the team before classes start?
2) Find an NIL deal that actually guarantees 4 years of college
3) Walk into a full depth chart just to be a depth piece for 4 years

This is a loophole. BYU already exploited it. A company called Built Bar has agreed to pay the tuition of all of their walk ons. Now they can have as many "scholarship" players as they want.
"a financial deal ranking from $1K to scholarship players to more than $3.5K per semester to walk-ons"

BYU players’ new NIL deal with Built Brands hits from inside out, bottom to top

I'm sure that's going to bring all the 5-stars from Florida and Georgia to be walk-ons in Mormon land.

How many of these type players do you think are going to:
1) accept non-PWO status where they can't workout with the team before classes start?
2) Find an NIL deal that actually guarantees 4 years of college
3) Walk into a full depth chart just to be a depth piece for 4 years
A few…….and these rules will probably change soon as well….

VN Store

Back