Anyone see this article? Sorry if already posted

When a coach is making negative comments in the media about a player it's a poor look, whether we're #1 or #250.

I guess we forget that he did it to Bone and Bowden, too. Convenient. Then, he surprised Bone on his graduation day after he had started playing pro ball. Barnes cares for his players.

I guess we forget that he did it to Bone and Bowden, too. Convenient. Then, he surprised Bone on his graduation day after he had started playing pro ball. Barnes cares for his players.
You're arguing a different point. I never said Barnes doesn't "care" for his players. My point is that it isn't a good look for a coach to make negative comments about a player to the media.
Making the comment to the media that someone like Fulky who has poured his heart and soul into being a Vol should "step aside" if he can't be tougher is a stupid comment to make in public.

Reactions: overseasorange2
You're arguing a different point. I never said Barnes doesn't "care" for his players. My point is that it isn't a good look for a coach to make negative comments about a player to the media.
Making the comment to the media that someone like Fulky who has poured his heart and soul into being a Vol should "step aside" if he can't be tougher is a stupid comment to make in public.

I am not...as I have clearly stated, Barnes has done this for years...to Bone, Bowden, and even Turner.

Exact quote after a game where Bowden shot 1-17: “If Jordan Bowden is not playing, we’re not going to leave him out there,” Barnes said after the game. “We’re going to give other guys a chance to miss some of those shots too.” Is this any different than what he said about Fulky "stepping aside?"

More: “At that point in time, Jordan Bowden was struggling,” Barnes said. “He missed another layup – a point-blank layup. I wasn’t real happy with that, especially with a guy who’s been here for four years."

On Bone: “I won’t play him more minutes unless he earns it,” second-year Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said on Monday.

THIS. IS. NOTHING. NEW. Some of you are just making it much bigger than in the past.

Reactions: walkenvol
And that quote without context sounds bad, but when you listen to the whole interview and follow ups today he’s referencing COVID fatigue. He’s not saying Barnes needs to essentially be dismissed from the team, he’s saying that if Fulky knowingly is struggling with fatigue from COVID then he needs to relay that to the staff and allow them to make the changes needed. Fulk has told the staff he is fine and so they moved forward as such, if he’s struggling with fatigue/lack of energy he hasn’t relayed that to the staff, that was the point.

Reactions: Lurker
Barnes is one of the top 5 highest paid basketball coaches in the NCAA. And He certainly is delivering top 5 results.

And that quote without context sounds bad, but when you listen to the whole interview and follow ups today he’s referencing COVID fatigue. He’s not saying Barnes needs to essentially be dismissed from the team, he’s saying that if Fulky knowingly is struggling with fatigue from COVID then he needs to relay that to the staff and allow them to make the changes needed. Fulk has told the staff he is fine and so they moved forward as such, if he’s struggling with fatigue/lack of energy he hasn’t relayed that to the staff, that was the point.
In all fairness, I didn't hear the interview so thanks for the context.

VN Store

Back