Anyone see this article? Sorry if already posted

This looks a lot like an under-performing coach throwing a player under the bus to detract from his own shortcomings.
I’m a little surprised that CRB threw Fulk under the bus. I don’t think this is CRB’s normal approach to coaching. It could be that Rick is so frustrated with Fulk that he took this as a last gasp effort. Not trying to excuse CRB, but this was a common approach for Derek Dooley. And we know how that turned out.

Agree that it’s not the best look. When you’re the head of organization, everything is your responsibility. If someone isn’t performing, it’s your job to get them to perform or replace them with someone who can. If you don’t have anyone that can . . .

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Barnes isn’t the only successful coach who comments on players to the media.

Yeah, I’ve heard Cal do it. Kirby blamed his guys for “busts” in the SECCG. Pruitt did it a lot. Dooley & Jones did it. They all made a lot of money coaching so some say they’re successful. I haven’t heard K do it much, certainly not Saban (he attacks the press more). I never heard Dean Smith or Bear Bryant do it. Hell, I never heard SOS, Bowden or Fulmer blame players like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Who's responsibility is it to get kids in the strength and conditioning program and to "coach them up?"
IMO, things typically start to go downhill when a stubborn coach starts looking for players to scapegoat.

Barnes got Grant Williams to get in shape and was taught to get lower than the defender to get leverage and gain positioning. Barnes has called out players for years. Just need 75% of the Fulky against Arizona.

It's a good thing Bobby Knight isn't coaching in todays world. Players are too soft and get their feelings hurt nowadays.
too many pre-madonna's

Reactions: backdoorcutvol
It's a good thing Bobby Knight isn't coaching in todays world. Players are too soft and get their feelings hurt nowadays.
too many pre-madonna's

Chairs don't bounce as well either.

Actually do the TN players get their feelings hurt or (more likely) is it just some of the soft, simple minded VN posters?

Everything Barnes said is true. Fulkerson won’t be the guy we want him to be. He has regressed since his junior year (2 years ago), and although he has firmly established himself in the history books at UT, he is no leader on the court. He deserves to start but it doesn’t take long into each game to see what his level of play will be for entire game. When he shows up early, he plays pretty well. When he is non-existent within the first 5 minutes he may as well sit next to his teammates, or play about half the game and cheer on his teammates. He is a good young man who has given everything he is capable of to the program and has had some shining moments along the way Vol fans will remember forever.

A good college player but has been wildly inconsistent the last season and a half. Health reasons have contributed but his confidence level and the mental part more than anything in my opinion has affected his play. It may simply be that opposing teams have so much film on him, they understand how to defend him better and he doesn’t have any other options to counter. That stretch of games his junior year was something to behold. What happened to that guy?

Reactions: walkenvol
I can see giving Fulkerson a few games to get back into game shape after Covid. My main question is why is Bailey playing so atrocious ?? He’s been awful

Barnes got Grant Williams to get in shape and was taught to get lower than the defender to get leverage and gain positioning. Barnes has called out players for years. Just need 75% of the Fulky against Arizona.
Let me state it again.
I didn’t say Barnes or other high profile coaches haven’t called out players for years.
My point is that it’s not a good look imo.
Do you think Barnes would respond well to Danny White calling him out in the media? Would that motivate him? Doubtful.
I don’t believe you motivate kids to run thru a wall for you and their school by doing such a thing.
Of course, all jmo so Tifwiw.

Reactions: patrick
too many pre-madonna's

Bobby Knight wouldn't be coaching in today's world because he wouldn't get away with the crap he got away with back then, nor would any school put up with it.

Bobby Knight wouldn't be coaching in today's world because he wouldn't get away with the crap he got away with back then, nor would any school put up with it.

Yep, and 1990s Knight was so awful his teams were beat up mentally enough they wilted at the end of the season just to get it over.

It is interesting that BOTH Aidoo and Diboundje have played in exactly five games each AND both made their last appearance on 12/14 versus USC-Upstate. I wonder if the staff/administration has a heads up on an NCAA rule change similar to football allowing limited participation without losing a RS year.

Reactions: walkenvol
It is interesting that BOTH Aidoo and Diboundje have played in exactly five games each AND both made their last appearance on 12/14 versus USC-Upstate. I wonder if the staff/administration has a heads up on an NCAA rule change similar to football allowing limited participation without losing a RS year.
That has been the assumption, whether it can be used retroactively or not may be the question.

That has been the assumption, whether it can be used retroactively or not may be the question.

5 games should keep it well within a limit if that were to happen. 4 of 12 is the football rule.

I thought that Diboundje played better than Mashack in a game or two. The future remains bright if QD, JM, JA, ZZ, Edwards, Powell, and Tamba stay at TN for their remaining eligibility.

Let me state it again.
I didn’t say Barnes or other high profile coaches haven’t called out players for years.
My point is that it’s not a good look imo.
Do you think Barnes would respond well to Danny White calling him out in the media? Would that motivate him? Doubtful.
I don’t believe you motivate kids to run thru a wall for you and their school by doing such a thing.
Of course, all jmo so Tifwiw.

I would guess that if you ask them, they love their coach. It's quite clear that they all enjoy his company off the court. He also talks to them in person about their play before discussing it in the media, per his statement today.

My guess is if Danny White says something in the media, it is something that he and Barnes had discussed privately. Novel concept.

I would guess that if you ask them, they love their coach. It's quite clear that they all enjoy his company off the court. He also talks to them in person about their play before discussing it in the media, per his statement today.

My guess is if Danny White says something in the media, it is something that he and Barnes had discussed privately. Novel concept.
Does Danny White call out Rick Barnes after disappointing losses? Nope. And IMO, a coach should never call out a player in the media. It's poor optics and is only trying to move the reason for the loss to the player(s), rather than taking ownership for HIS team.
A simple "I coach this team and their poor play is a reflection on me and my staff" would suffice nicely. Novel concept.

Does Danny White call out Rick Barnes after disappointing losses? Nope. And IMO, a coach should never call out a player in the media. It's poor optics and is only trying to move the reason for the loss to the player(s), rather than taking ownership for HIS team.
A simple "I coach this team and their poor play is a reflection on me and my staff" would suffice nicely. Novel concept.

It's funny that fans didn't care when Barnes led his team to #1 and was discussing his players in the media. Barnes is brutally honest and has been for years. It's not new.

The only reason more people are upset is because of the team's play.

It's funny that fans didn't care when Barnes led his team to #1 and was discussing his players in the media. Barnes is brutally honest and has been for years. It's not new.

The only reason more people are upset is because of the team's play.
When a coach is making negative comments in the media about a player it's a poor look, whether we're #1 or #250.

Reactions: LoudOrange

VN Store

Back