BTO’s LSU Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Had you told me that we would score a near season high allowed by LSU and that we would shoot 37 free throws I would feel pretty confident that we would win that game. I definitely didn’t see our defense electing not to make the trip and allowing LSU best offensive showing against a P5 school on the season. They out physicaled us all game long and our turnovers came at bad times and led to really ease baskets for them.

2. Shooting 38%fg 25%3pt 62%ft is really bad on all 3 levels, I know that’s a good LSU defense, and our KenPom offensive efficiency actually went up after last nights game (if that tells you how bad it’s been), but if we had shot just decent at all 3 levels 45/35/75 we win that game pretty handily, kind of hard to fathom.

3. Barnes is at a crossroads with some guys, Fulk looked bad again and even worse he looked as if he didn’t really even want to be there or care, his energy has always been his best attribute and if that’s not there then he’s tough to watch. JJJ is key for many reasons and a guy we need, but his shooting looks absolutely abysmal, shouldn’t be a confidence thing or a short leash thing because he continues jacking up 3’s with no regard at all, 1-7 last night with not a single 2pta taken.

4. I hoped to see a better game from Powell, for those that missed it he got absolutely whipped on the FT play that LSU got the rebound and putback which in the moment felt like a big momentum play, Barnes sat him after that for a very long time. If you don’t want to play Bailey and you’re going smaller Powell has to play, I’m sure it’s about what he’s seeing in practice too but Powell needs to know he’s got a little room for error and that he’s gonna get back out there, on a night we struggled shooting he’s riding the pine.

5. Some positive, Santi again looked good so won’t spend much time there, but Plavsic considering competition played probably his best game as a Vol. In just 15 minutes he scores 12 points and grabs 7 rebounds, he missed some FTs and had an embarrassing block on a layup attempt, but he was pretty good. If he could continue to develop an aggressive and physical style he could be even more effective, not claiming he’s a world beater but you can see why Barnes was hell bent on going to him early in the season.

6. Big picture, losses happen especially on the road in conference play, Alabama just lost at Missouri and were down 20 at one point, so the result isn’t a huge deal considering it was actually one of the most likely losses on our schedule by most metrics. However, it’s how we looked and that problems that we saw early on don’t appear to be getting corrected and we continue to struggle in the same areas, and that is the frustrating part. One of the big complains many have had with Barnes is his teams peak too early, I don’t think anyone would say we are playing our best ball right now so maybe they continue to work things out and improve over the course of the season and peak at a better time, then again maybe not. I said prior to conference play starting there was a very real chance we start out 2-3 and that if we do that wouldn’t really even be bad, likely road losses @Alabam, @lsu and @UK, probably on paper the 3 hardest SEC games all in the first 5…that obviously sets up for being able to make some noise later if we can get some things worked out. For now, home to Knoxville to play a South Carolina team we should beat and then on the road to Rupp.

GBO!!!

If this is what we get from Fulky and JJJ, what's the point? I'd start working the kids like Deboudje, Mashack and Aidoo. Maybe if Barnes doesn't just trot them out there night after night after such a performance, it might wake them up a bit. Nothing gets a kids attention like the bench.

This team has proven if they aren’t hitting from beyond the arc, they have no other option. All 4 losses have come when we have shot below 25% from 3. If Barnes doesn’t come up with a plan B, ( being able to score in the post), I’m not sure this team wins more than 8 conference games. Also, if we have to depend on Plavisc to be our best post player, 8 conference wins is a stretch. So far is is Barnes worst coaching in 7 years here. Hopefully he turns things around, still plenty of time. Maybe get BHH developed since he has the most upside of all of our bigs?

This is a gross oversimplification on my part, but Tennessee fares a lot better in games where Fulkerson scores double-digits (only two losses over the last two seasons, including this year's Texas Tech aberration). I feel that this lack of energy and poise can be attributed to COVID-19, since it seems to affect him a lot more than other players based on what we've witnessed, but Barnes' statement on Fulkerson is 100% accurate since (regardless of the reason) Fulkerson needs to play to a minimum level of effort/production or else shouldn't be on the floor at all.

It just really sucks since he didn't start coming into his own post-COVID until the SEC Tournament last year (which, obviously, was cut unduly short) and it seems like he's going to be floating in the ether again this season unless the bounce-back period is shorter.

Hard lessons being learned early in the season can lead to significant improvement leading into tournaments.

I will say that the TTU & LSU games were both hard lessons in playing physical. IMO, it looked like UT played more physical against LSU than they did against TTU, so that is a sign.

Hopefully we see the Vols improve even more and get some wins going forward.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Agreed about JJJ given how early in the shot clock he took some of those 3s, but most/all of his shots he was open and set already and still cannot make. His lack of offensive firepower really hurts the team because we can't afford to sit him given his defense

This team has proven if they aren’t hitting from beyond the arc, they have no other option. All 4 losses have come when we have shot below 25% from 3. If Barnes doesn’t come up with a plan B, ( being able to score in the post), I’m not sure this team wins more than 8 conference games. Also, if we have to depend on Plavisc to be our best post player, 8 conference wins is a stretch. So far is is Barnes worst coaching in 7 years here. Hopefully he turns things around, still plenty of time. Maybe get BHH developed since he has the most upside of all of our bigs?
Same deal as Auburn 2 years ago, all their losses came in games they didn’t shoot well from 3, not sure what you’re trying to prove? Teams that shoot the 3 live and die by the 3 typically, most don’t have a Plan B.

1. Had you told me that we would score a near season high allowed by LSU and that we would shoot 37 free throws I would feel pretty confident that we would win that game. I definitely didn’t see our defense electing not to make the trip and allowing LSU best offensive showing against a P5 school on the season. They out physicaled us all game long and our turnovers came at bad times and led to really ease baskets for them.

2. Shooting 38%fg 25%3pt 62%ft is really bad on all 3 levels, I know that’s a good LSU defense, and our KenPom offensive efficiency actually went up after last nights game (if that tells you how bad it’s been), but if we had shot just decent at all 3 levels 45/35/75 we win that game pretty handily, kind of hard to fathom.

3. Barnes is at a crossroads with some guys, Fulk looked bad again and even worse he looked as if he didn’t really even want to be there or care, his energy has always been his best attribute and if that’s not there then he’s tough to watch. JJJ is key for many reasons and a guy we need, but his shooting looks absolutely abysmal, shouldn’t be a confidence thing or a short leash thing because he continues jacking up 3’s with no regard at all, 1-7 last night with not a single 2pta taken.

4. I hoped to see a better game from Powell, for those that missed it he got absolutely whipped on the FT play that LSU got the rebound and putback which in the moment felt like a big momentum play, Barnes sat him after that for a very long time. If you don’t want to play Bailey and you’re going smaller Powell has to play, I’m sure it’s about what he’s seeing in practice too but Powell needs to know he’s got a little room for error and that he’s gonna get back out there, on a night we struggled shooting he’s riding the pine.

5. Some positive, Santi again looked good so won’t spend much time there, but Plavsic considering competition played probably his best game as a Vol. In just 15 minutes he scores 12 points and grabs 7 rebounds, he missed some FTs and had an embarrassing block on a layup attempt, but he was pretty good. If he could continue to develop an aggressive and physical style he could be even more effective, not claiming he’s a world beater but you can see why Barnes was hell bent on going to him early in the season.

6. Big picture, losses happen especially on the road in conference play, Alabama just lost at Missouri and were down 20 at one point, so the result isn’t a huge deal considering it was actually one of the most likely losses on our schedule by most metrics. However, it’s how we looked and that problems that we saw early on don’t appear to be getting corrected and we continue to struggle in the same areas, and that is the frustrating part. One of the big complains many have had with Barnes is his teams peak too early, I don’t think anyone would say we are playing our best ball right now so maybe they continue to work things out and improve over the course of the season and peak at a better time, then again maybe not. I said prior to conference play starting there was a very real chance we start out 2-3 and that if we do that wouldn’t really even be bad, likely road losses @Alabam, @lsu and @UK, probably on paper the 3 hardest SEC games all in the first 5…that obviously sets up for being able to make some noise later if we can get some things worked out. For now, home to Knoxville to play a South Carolina team we should beat and then on the road to Rupp.

GBO!!!
Great analysis as usual.
We gave up too many garbage points 12 to 16 points.
I saw Post Game Comments regarding Fulkerson by Barnes.
They were framed in a manner of which SOME would assume he is throwing Fulkerson under the Bus.
I don't think he was but I do believe he was contemplating the decision in his own mind as to whether to sit him or play him.
I don believe it was unwarranted and not characteristic of Barnes to do so..
Thoughts?

If we have any chance against Kentucky, we really need to start hitting some shots and getting our confidence back. These are young kids (except Fulky) and playing confident basketball is big difference for any kid. As much of this game is mental than it is physical ability. Lets score at least 80 against SC, get a little confidence back, and go to Ky with our heads down.
Go Vols!!

Great analysis as usual.
They were framed in a manner of which SOME would assume he is throwing Fulkerson under the Bus.
I don't think he was but I do believe he was contemplating the decision in his own mind as to whether to sit him or play him.
Thoughts?
Yea, reports were he thought about not starting Fulk this game but ultimately elected to, I would say that fact he still went with Fulk further aggravated him when Fulk didn’t back up the decision by Barnes to start him.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I think my opinion about the offense is pretty well known, so I won’t beat a dead horse. Just beat South Carolina and move on from there. Looks like the best thing to do moving forward is just lower expectations a bit until this offense finds an extra gear. My heart rate will stay at a much healthier level if I just do that.

Teams are going to back off JJJ at the 3-line and let him shoot all day until he hits a few.
Plasvic is showing some aggression and fight-- he's our best option down low now.
Where are the ball-screens at the elbow? We need to be shooting some mid-range jumpers.

GBO!!!
good look, as always
points 4. 5 and 6 particularly

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I think my opinion about the offense is pretty well known, so I won’t beat a dead horse. Just beat South Carolina and move on from there. Looks like the best thing to do moving forward is just lower expectations a bit until this offense finds an extra gear. My heart rate will stay at a much healthier level if I just do that.
Heart rate was only at unhealthy levels during the davidson-URI game and late in the game at Mizzou. Watched too many late wake-ups from bama. too many blown games by Cuonzo and I fear the NCAA will not be giving additional bids to the A10

Great analysis as usual.
Thoughts?

I think Barnes is putting the message out to Fulky to bring the energy consistently or the bench is in his future. Just not sure who starts for him, maybe Plav.

Reactions: walkenvol
Don't understand if Fulky has Covid hangover why Barnes keeps putting him out there? 100 percent Fulky is pretty much average...80 percent Fulky is not good...Not sure I buy the Covid excuse.
He's been at 100% all season. 2 years ago, he was at 200%.

Barnes likes to bring
Barnes always brings his freshmen along at a snail's pace. They develop way slower than necessary. Aidoo, Mashack and BHH need playing time now. They can't learn sitting on the bench. I would rather lose games developing new talent than letting them languish and probably hit the portal because they can't get on the floor. Especially Aidoo and BHH. We have no post play to go along with poor outside shooting.

Barnes always brings his freshmen along at a snail's pace. They develop way slower than necessary. Aidoo, Mashack and BHH need playing time now. They can't learn sitting on the bench. I would rather lose games developing new talent than letting them languish and probably hit the portal because they can't get on the floor. Especially Aidoo and BHH. We have no post play to go along with poor outside shooting.
If that’s the case why is Zeigler playing huge minutes?

Same deal as Auburn 2 years ago, all their losses came in games they didn’t shoot well from 3, not sure what you’re trying to prove? Teams that shoot the 3 live and die by the 3 typically, most don’t have a Plan B.
But this Tennessee team doesn't shoot the ball as well as that Auburn team did on their best night. The floor and ceiling for this edition of Tennessee shooters are both much lower than that AU team, so far.

That AU team was 3rd nationally in made 3s/game, and 36th in 3-pt shooting%.

This Tennessee team is currently 62nd in made 3s/gm and 253rd in 3-pt shooting%.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Barnes likes to bring

I’ll always take the win. Ole Miss for example. Why would anybody prefer to take the L? Players develop in workouts. They gain experience in games. Two different things. If they aren’t up to a minimum standard on the practice floor they sure won’t be in games either.

VN Store

Back