Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year 2 in the system for starters. Year 1 to Year 2, on average, is where a big jump usually happens.

Second, I believe Banks will be better. Yes, some calls he made were frustrating, with some being downright horrible; but, on the whole, I liked what he was doing. MANY times players were exactly where they needed to be, they just didn't execute (ex: Banks dropping a 4th INT in the bowl, right in his hands...countless times we saw that this year).

DLine: Losing Butler is big; however we return Omari Thomas (All SEC next yr, imo), a healthy E. Simmons 🤞, D. Terry...from what I understand, LaTrell Bumphus redshirted, and will be back...K. Garland, Dominic Bailey (RS Soph), Amari McNeill (Soph)...B. Eason is 290, and probably moves to DL; and, if Baron puts on weight, he may make the move inside. Also, Jordan Phillips is already practicing, and Tyre West is an EE. AND!!! all these guys get another year with the GOAT. Also, Aubrey Solomon could return.

Edge: Young and Harrison. Young makes ALL SEC next year, imo. James Pearce...yes, a freshman; but, I believe the kid makes a bit of an impact, he's that dynamic. Of course, pass rush is what it's ALL about...we have the dudes, they have to take the next step. I believe they do.

LB: Banks, Beasley, Mitchell, Page, and Willis. Five guys that should get a little to a lot better. Yes, Beasley was bad to average; but, the potential is there. Hopefully it comes together next year for him. Don't forget, he missed a massive amount of time during the offseason...Willis missed time, as well. Also, I believe Mitchell is better than what this fan base gives him credit for...I mean, damn, the guy was playing with a bum shoulder before shutting it down.

DB: Losing Theo and Taylor are huge, period
However, I believe Turnage is the best DB on the team (I may be more excited about seeing him more, than anyone else...and, he'll be only a Jr). Excited about Hadden (Jr). Thought we should have seen more of these two guys this year. Slaughter, Charles, Rucker...along with the Juco kid coming in, Williams. Also, as bad as I hate to say it, Tank and Flowers will be back. Here's hoping with those two; but, they do give us a WORLD OF EXPERIENCE...before this year, Theo was probably left for dead by half this fan base, as well; so, here's hoping those two can have the same kind of jump. Then there's Burrell...don't forget, while he was the scapegoat of the bowl game, he WAS there on those plays, he had good coverage. On a couple of those PI's, I believe he got screwed by the official...I believe it was great coverage, and the official fcuked him. But, yes, he has to get a lot better. Many times this year, he was there, he just has to make the play.

Also, we can still add to all of this through the portal...it has been great for us with the guys we have brought in from it. Guarantee Bama and UGA lose a handful apiece after Monday night.

So...yeah, that's it. Most definitely have to get better; but, that's sport...getting better. From the coaches to the players. Will we? I believe so. I like our coaches, and the potential of many of our defensive players. Then again, I believed Pruitt was the guy to get us back, so...maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about anymore, as it pertains to football.

One thing to add to this….. the way we practice once the season starts….. if you haven’t earned trust by the end of camp then you probably aren’t playing that season unless it’s due to injury issues….. we may have a bunch of guys on offense and defense take a big step next season.

It grows tax free for education. I guess if you see absolutely no way you or your child will use it for qualified withdrawals, then it would hurt. Especially since rate of return is currently less than the 10% penalty. I’ve been averaging 8%, barely outpacing inflation. But mine is still young.

We started 529 accounts for each child when we adopted them (3days old). Not overly impressed with the rate of return. We eventually quit contributing to the 529 and opened an IRA for each child. Less restrictive and better investment options. Caught and surpassed the 529s. Was relatively painless financially and now I don’t get hit with huge college bills.

For all the young parent VFLs, start a fund for your child as early as possible. It really does make life easier later on. You can get grandparents to contribute too…

I agree that it’s better than the alternative but this is Rick Barnes coached basketball teams….. Something always seems to be missing to where you know that we won’t be able to take that next step.

It’s just… a lot more good than bad. It’s not that hard to envision an alternate universe in which UT MBB is not ranked in the top-25 more or less every week, year-in and year-out. Not going to win them all, but gotta enjoy the ride and making the tourney, etc. … or else, save yourself the trouble and just stop watching because there’s just no chance that we are going to turn into a perennial Final Four team or something (under any coach).

I agree that he’s a system QB. And who cares? He relishes in whatever we’re doing. I don’t know how we put up the points we did honestly. OL was meh, and receivers had simple route trees. But dang good at that one trick. Heupel is a friggin’ genius.
Best offensive coach in America, imo.

We started 529 accounts for each child when we adopted them (3days old). Not overly impressed with the rate of return. We eventually quit contributing to the 529 and opened an IRA for each child. Less restrictive and better investment options. Caught and surpassed the 529s. Was relatively painless financially and now I don’t get hit with huge college bills.

For all the young parent VFLs, start a fund for your child as early as possible. It really does make life easier later on. You can get grandparents to contribute too…
Were you able to roll those 529 funds into an IRA?

Last edited:
The world used to be way more restrictive, with a few exceptions, particularly if you were a woman or person of color. But, even for everyone else, there were far more restrictions on what you could do or say, in addition to the mentioned medical advancements. Police officers and government officials got away with much more then in terms of corruption and so on, even with our current crop pretty shady. I can give you plenty of examples on any of those point, if needed, too.

I almost feel people are too comfortable in our advanced age and make up supposed instances of "disasters" or severe violations of rights, like wearing masks to combat a virus. The modern age is so far better than the past that boredom (and a severe lack of perspective) is the only theory I can imagine as to why so many people are intent on blowing it up with talk of secession, civil war, anti-vaxxism, and on and on.

Also, anyone downgrading the threat of climate change is seriously whistling past the graveyard. This will be THE issue of the back half of this century and maybe even earlier.

Finally. A sane person. Thank you.

But it is easier to see things as black and white and throw tantrums about “my rights” than to look outward, isn’t it?

Ya…. Napier is putting together a phenomenal staff. He isn’t a flashy offensive coach but more of a supreme recruiter and program builder like a Smart type

What’s so impressive about his staff? Raymond is a great hire, but he’s mostly just bringing guys from his old staff. I’m not saying that’s a bad idea, In fact, it might be his best move. I just don’t see a wow factor here to say we know he’s hiring an exceptional staff.

2022 Football Coaching Staff

Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I had to bury my 36 year old youngest brother, who committed suicide. No matter how much we tried to tell and show him that his life matters, he refused to see it. We stopped him 3 times in 2021. On January 2nd he took his life. Leaving behind 2 young boys, a mom and 2 brothers searching for answers.

I want you all to know that your life does matter and others lives will be shattered if you follow through. We are beyond broken. If you are struggling talk to someone and try to get help. If you need to talk to someone my name is Barry and you can get in touch with me (615) 519-9283. I will find you help. I don’t want another family to go through this same situation. You aren’t alone.

Prayers for my family would be appreciated.
Prayers Sent

Man this board after football season.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Big thing to consider is what you’re investing for and tax diversification. 529s are tax deferred and tax free if used for qualified expenses. Make sure you compare net equivalents. Example a traditional IRA is deferred but taxed as income on the way out. Always want to do your research on investment options, or restrictions and especially Fees. Fee drag is obviously on the mind of most retail investors. Fees are an issue if there is no value add. Happy to help anyone with questions but I always tell people saving anything, in any form is better than not starting at all.

Anyone thinking we “take the next step” in year two is likely to be disappointed. I’m not a pessimist, but looking at our roster, I think we won’t be poised for the “next step” until year 4.

On offense:
-We will have better season numbers because Hendo will be the guy all year.
-Not sure the OL will be better. And replacing Cade may be challenging.

On defense:
-We still lack overall athleticism and speed. Especially at LB and Safety.
-We are thin at edge, and history has shown you can’t depend on freshman on the LOS.

Overall:
-The OOC schedule sets up nicely.
-I don’t think we have fully cleared the hurdle with Kentucky, South Carolina, and Missouri yet. I know we blew out MO + USCe, but we caught both teams at their lowest point in the season. I could easily see a scenario where 2, if not all 3 of those games resemble the Kentucky game from this year. In short, I need to see us beat those three teams in consecutive seasons to believe we have cleared that hurdle.
-We aren’t close to Bama or Georgia. Nor is our talent leveled with LSU or Florida. With what we do now, we can definitely steal one of those, but we are still behind them all.

I think we will be a 6-8 win team again next year. And I’m ok with that. After all we’ve been through, I can be patient.

Last edited:

Compounding interest is the greatest thing ever. Save as early as possible. We started brokerage accounts for our girls when they were born and contribute to them every year. It’s another great option for investing and ease of withdrawal.

Anyone thinking we “take the next step” in year two is likely to be disappointed. I’m not a pessimist, but looking at our roster, I think we won’t be poised for the “next step” until year 4.

On offense:

On defense:
-We are thin at edge, and history has shown you can’t depend on freshman on the LOS.

Overall:
-I don’t think we have fully cleared the hurdle with Kentucky, South Carolina, and Missouri yet. I know we blew out MO + USCe, but we caught both teams at their lowest point in the season. I could easily see a scenario where 2, if not all 3 of those games resemble the Kentucky game from this year. In short, I need to see us beat those three teams in consecutive seasons to believe we have cleared that hurdle.
-We aren’t close to Bama or Georgia. Nor is our taker leveled with LSU or Florida. With what we do now, we can definitely steal one of those, but we are still behind them all.

I think we will be a 6-8 win team again next year. And I’m ok with that. After all we’ve been through, I can be patient.
Don't forget the officiating. We're playing them as well.

It’s just… a lot more good than bad. It’s not that hard to envision an alternate universe in which UT MBB is not ranked in the top-25 more or less every week, year-in and year-out. Not going to win them all, but gotta enjoy the ride and making the tourney, etc. … or else, save yourself the trouble and just stop watching because there’s just no chance that we are going to turn into a perennial Final Four team or something (under any coach).
Why would I quit watching? I’m a Tennessee fan….. I feel this is something missing from this board/society….. we have lost the ability to discuss the good and the bad without going to extremes…I think Barnes is a great man….. great leader/ representative of our university…. good coach but something is always missing…. I feel it will be Barnes greatest failing…. His inability to figure out what is wrong and able to correct it.

What’s so impressive about his staff? Raymond is a great hire, but he’s mostly just bringing guys from his old staff. I’m not saying that’s a bad idea, In fact, it might be his best move. I just don’t see a wow factor here to say we know he’s hiring an exceptional staff.

2022 Football Coaching Staff
I’m saying they’re spending millions and millions on recruiting staff department and stuff like that… they have an extensive recruiting department as well being set up. Budget is supposedly around Top 3 in the country with the likes of Alabama and Georgia. At least that’s what Napier was saying and the UF Mods… Napier won’t have any trouble landing elite talent. It’s a matter if he pulls a Muschamp with those classes which in our case I pray happens

Would encourage folks to listen to Big Orange Sunday as Doug Mathews brought up a NIL point that I hadn’t heard. Only ~ 20 states have laws governing NIL which means in those other 30 states the boosters/universities can do whatever they want without any legal repercussions. Further evidence the NCAA implemented NIL with no rules. They are worthless (imo).

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

On offense:

On defense:

Overall:
-We aren’t close to Bama or Georgia. Nor is our talent leveled with LSU or Florida. With what we do now, we can definitely steal one of those, but we are still behind them all.

Qb is important and having 5 back is worth 2-3 games, easy. Throw in Cedric, a more developed Hyatt...I think we'll cause problems for pretty much everyone we play.

That said, and I expected more of it this year honestly, I can see where more of our games next year look like the Pitt, ole Miss, UK and Purdue games than USCe or Mizzou games.

Defense has to get better some how... How? No idea lol.

If put the o/u at 7.5. or 8.

Why would I quit watching? I’m a Tennessee fan….. I feel this is something missing from this board/society….. we have lost the ability to discuss the good and the bad without going to extremes…I think Barnes is a great man….. great leader/ representative of our university…. good coach but something is always missing…. I feel it will be Barnes greatest failing…. His inability to figure out what is wrong and able to correct it.
I think that is his problem. He’s too uptight and goes crazy when someone makes a mistake and pulls them for minutes at a time for it. That in tern makes players play too tight themselves. He’s a decent program builder and good person but that’s about the extent of what you’re going to get from him

Qb is important and having 5 back is worth 2-3 games, easy. Throw in Cedric, a more developed Hyatt...I think we'll cause problems for pretty much everyone we play.

That said, and I expected more of it this year honestly, I can see where more of our games next year look like the Pitt, ole Miss, UK and Purdue games than USCe or Mizzou games.

Defense has to get better some how... How? No idea lol.

If put the o/u at 7.5. or 8.

I definitely think the o/u at 7.5 is the right number.

Reactions: Devo182
Your not allowed to blame tim banks defense McGill
People get really bent outta shape when you say bad things about it
First of all...I'm not really blaming Tim Banks, because it is not his fault the defense is so untalented and slow twitch, and I am not really blaming the players either...it is not their fault they are untalented and slow twitch.

I am saying that they sucked at stopping other teams from moving the ball and scoring, and now I am hoping that infusing some talent into the defensive roster will help rectify that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back