Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
D takes a huge step forward next year, imo.
I'm honestly not sure what to expect out of the D next year. I don't put much stock in the bowl game performance; While it was ugly, it's a one game sample.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to being able to put consistent pressure on opposing QBs. Sure, it's important to have a good secondary, but most corners and safetys are going to look below average if you give an opposing QB time to pick apart the defense. The positive is we have some athletic, highly rated DE's coming in. It may take some time, but I could see them beginning to make a difference next season. If we continue to work on tackling well and getting more pressure from our defensive line, there's some hope the D could improve, or at least not take a major step back, next year.

Y’all think Hooker has a big game problem? Struggled against Florida. Struggled early against Ole Miss. was awful against Ga. Game sealing interception against Bama. Struggled in the bowl game too.
That was the complaint VT fans had against him. That and mistakes at the worst possible time. People grow over time. IMO you don’t just turn those problems off like a light switch. He’s clearly put a lot of that behind him but still has room to improve.

The way the heat on Barnes is starting to rise makes me think we may be headed towards a 10+ yr basketball wasteland of cycling coaches and enduring even worse mediocrity.

wish folks would just enjoy the winning coach we have!

Tennessee doesn’t have a truly bad loss this year

Somehow fans don’t realize that

No...it's just being a douchebag. You expect Burrow? What the hell Bass? Do you wanna bitch at him just to have something to be pissed or worried about?

Hell I said he was off in the Purdue game, but he still put insane numbers up...he produced 45 f'n points man...that loss can not be pinned on him, It is 100% squarely on the crooked refs and the defense.

It is true...Hooker wasn't perfect, so go ahead and nitpick him if that makes you feel better or whatever...BUT...he vastly vastly vastly outperformed my expectations of him. He was a garbage pile reject for craps sake.

He will not be perfect again next year, so go ahead and get your slings and arrows ready..but I guarantee you he will produce enough to beat everybody that doesn't double us up in talent....he already did that this year.
😂

That was the complaint VT fans had against him. That and mistakes at the worst possible time. People grow over time. IMO you don’t just turn those problems off like a light switch. He’s clearly put a lot of that behind him but still has room to improve.
I think he takes a big leap if 2022 if he can clear what may be a mental hurdle with him

Reactions: Orangeslice13

I know people use this as an insult but is it really so bad? Character guy who recruits well and wins at a high level. Builds a lot of talent but has the occasional inexplicable loss. Basically knocking on the door most seasons but not quite getting in.

Because Richt was eventually fired to make an upgrade is probably what rustles jimmies about the comparison.

I think he takes a big leap if 2022 if he can clear what may be a mental hurdle with him

there’s a moment in a game where you can literally see him have a conversation with himself and decide to get over his “fears” (for lack of a better word) ole miss game. Right before the 4th and 26 play. Unfortunately that was overshadowed by the mustard throwing. If he doesn’t get hurt he likely wins that game for us and takes a huge step forward in his confidence. He came out of that game a better QB anyway.

Nothing we could have done would have stopped the climate from changing. Historical records show that the Earth has gone through periods of cooling down and warming up. Climate change is not new. As I said, yes, we've sped it up, but climate change itself is natural.

If you really want to combat climate change, find an eco-friendly way to pull a Thanos. The largest problem that goes unaddressed and will continue to go unaddressed is overpopulation.

The United States is far down the list of polluters. If the US stopped polluting all together it would hardly put a dent in the worldwide pollution problem. India and China are far and away the biggest pollution problem on the planet. However, I agree with you that we could pollute this world to the level of our own extinction and the earth would eventually heal itself because it is designed to do so. Almost as if it was created by an intelligent creator.

Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I had to bury my 36 year old youngest brother, who committed suicide. No matter how much we tried to tell and show him that his life matters, he refused to see it. We stopped him 3 times in 2021. On January 2nd he took his life. Leaving behind 2 young boys, a mom and 2 brothers searching for answers.

I want you all to know that your life does matter and others lives will be shattered if you follow through. We are beyond broken. If you are struggling talk to someone and try to get help. If you need to talk to someone my name is Barry and you can get in touch with me (615) 519-9283. I will find you help. I don’t want another family to go through this same situation. You aren’t alone.

Prayers for my family would be appreciated.
🙏 I am so terribly sorry! I will be praying for your family.

Out of curiosity what makes you think it improves next year?
Year 2 in the system for starters. Year 1 to Year 2, on average, is where a big jump usually happens. It cannot be stressed enough how big this is...the system, the coaches, the routine, the reps, the stability and foundation.

Second, I believe Banks will be better. Yes, some calls he made were frustrating, with some being downright horrible; but, on the whole, I liked what he was doing. MANY times players were exactly where they needed to be, they just didn't execute (ex: Banks dropping a 4th INT in the bowl, right in his hands...countless times we saw that this year).

DLine: Losing Butler is big; however we return Omari Thomas (All SEC next yr, imo), a healthy E. Simmons 🤞, D. Terry...from what I understand, LaTrell Bumphus redshirted, and will be back...K. Garland, Dominic Bailey (RS Soph), Amari McNeill (Soph)...B. Eason is 290, and probably moves to DL; and, if Baron puts on weight, he may make the move inside. Also, Jordan Phillips is already practicing, and Tyre West is an EE. AND!!! all these guys get another year with the GOAT. Also, Aubrey Solomon could return.

Edge: Young and Harrison. Young makes ALL SEC next year, imo. James Pearce...yes, a freshman; but, I believe the kid makes a bit of an impact, he's that dynamic. Of course, pass rush is what it's ALL about...we have the dudes, they have to take the next step. I believe they do.

LB: Banks, Beasley, Mitchell, Page, and Willis. Five guys that should get a little to a lot better. Yes, Beasley was bad to average; but, the potential is there. Hopefully it comes together next year for him. Don't forget, he missed a massive amount of time during the offseason...Willis missed time, as well. Also, I believe Mitchell is better than what this fan base gives him credit for...I mean, damn, the guy was playing with a bum shoulder before shutting it down.

DB: Losing Theo and Taylor are huge, period
However, I believe Turnage is the best DB on the team (I may be more excited about seeing him more, than anyone else...and, he'll be only a Jr). Excited about Hadden (Jr). Thought we should have seen more of these two guys this year. Slaughter, Charles, Rucker...along with the Juco kid coming in, Williams. Also, as bad as I hate to say it, Tank and Flowers will be back. Here's hoping with those two; but, they do give us a WORLD OF EXPERIENCE...before this year, Theo was probably left for dead by half this fan base, as well; so, here's hoping those two can have the same kind of jump. Then there's Burrell...don't forget, while he was the scapegoat of the bowl game, he WAS there on those plays, he had good coverage. On a couple of those PI's, I believe he got screwed by the official...I believe it was great coverage, and the official fcuked him. But, yes, he has to get a lot better. Many times this year, he was there, he just has to make the play.

Also, we can still add to all of this through the portal...it has been great for us with the guys we have brought in from it. Guarantee Bama and UGA lose a handful apiece after Monday night.

So...yeah, that's it. Most definitely have to get better; but, that's sport...getting better. From the coaches to the players. Will we? I believe so. I like our coaches, and the potential of many of our defensive players. Then again, I believed Pruitt was the guy to get us back, so...maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about anymore, as it pertains to football.

Last edited:
The way the heat on Barnes is starting to rise makes me think we may be headed towards a 10+ yr basketball wasteland of cycling coaches and enduring even worse mediocrity.

wish folks would just enjoy the winning coach we have!

Tennessee doesn’t have a truly bad loss this year

Somehow fans don’t realize that
I agree that it’s better than the alternative but this is Rick Barnes coached basketball teams….. Something always seems to be missing to where you know that we won’t be able to take that next step.

The United States is far down the list of polluters. If the US stopped polluting all together it would hardly put a dent in the worldwide pollution problem. India and China are far and away the biggest pollution problem on the planet. However, I agree with you that we could pollute this world to the level of our own extinction and the earth would eventually heal itself because it is designed to do so. Almost as if it was created by an intelligent creator.
China subsidizes every country’s green energy push while doing nothing to stop any pollution at home. They know what they’re doing, and soon they’ll be the worlds #1 economy for their efforts.

I agree that he’s a system QB. And who cares? He relishes in whatever we’re doing. I don’t know how we put up the points we did honestly. OL was meh, and receivers had simple route trees. But dang good at that one trick. Heupel is a friggin’ genius.

He is. Heup schemed it for quick decisioning. A couple of quick looks at the simple route tree. If not open, take off. You know, the thing #2 never figured out in 4 seasons, HH did it. But it is OK for some on here to admit the truth. HH did the best he could, but he messed up at times. He even acknowledges it. He will get better. Will see if it is good enough to win against the better teams they play.

If the O-line gels by next season, more playbook will be opened, which would be great. HH will be coached up to operate it. Will see how he does.

I'm just glad to be talking about winning more games again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back