'18 NC RB Christian Beal-Smith (Wake Forest Transfer)

I won't say we don't need another edge rusher, LB, or OL depth, but let's see how these guys develop through winter workouts and spring practice before we declare needing to replace half the team.
Honestly, I don't think we'll have much choice. I'm going to hope the pundits are correct and another wave of transfers comes after spring ball. Maybe everyone else will be full up and we can grab some help. If we don't fortify this defense....well...we'd better load up on offense and hope we average 50 a game otherwise, it's gonna be a long season.

I won't say we don't need another edge rusher, LB, or OL depth, but let's see how these guys develop through winter workouts and spring practice before we declare needing to replace half the team.

Very true. I like that we have early enrollees at positions that need immediate help. Herring and Perry at LB. Hopefully, both get up to speed quickly and are able to do some work in the weight room. Williams at RB. All the freshman WRs. Tyre West. I don’t know if Des Williams is an EE, but as a JUCO, you’d expect him to be plug and play. Is Jourdan Thomas an EE?

We have a bunch of OLinemen waiting in the wings and you’d expect between Crawford, Parker, Mincey, and Perry, a couple are going to make the jump.

As far as depth goes. He’s okay but
Mannnn.

If you told me as a young Vol fan, after seeing Aaron Hayden, James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Gerald Ruggs, Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, John Kelly, & Alvin Kamara That I’d see a day where Tennessee is scraping under rocks to find Running back talent, I would have ripped off my shirt and sprintet out the building throwing up peace signs like Antonio Brown
FYI, so far Small is better than John Kelly and Hardesty. Aside from Hardesty’s last year at UT. Small split reps this year, two hurt shoulders (still better than JK at any point and better than MH 3 out of 4 years) and last year only got 25 carries

FYI, so far Small is better than John Kelly and Hardesty. Aside from Hardesty’s last year at UT. Small split reps this year, two hurt shoulders (still better than JK at any point and better than MH 3 out of 4 years) and last year only got 25 carries

Uh no. Hardesty was a beast even with the knee injuries and splitting time earlier in his career but that dude was fast, ran hard and had some sick moves. John Kelly was also better and more physical but Small has time to improve just not sure he will ever stay healthy enough. Multiple shoulder injuries is a bad sign since the shoulders take ground contact on most run plays. I do like his shiftyness.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Don‘t kid yourself. Hardesty and Kelly bided their times as we had a stable of good RB’s during their tenures. Small was thrust into action due to a lack of quality RB’s. Tiyon was the better of the two, but new to the system, and still saw ample PT. Had Gray stayed rather than transfer, Small very well may have been RB3 this past year (with Tiyon the RB2).

Reactions: BarrythesnoUT
Lol my statement isn’t opinion based. Attempts, ypc, total yardage. He’s a better back than JK. Time will tell if he can have a breakout year like Hardesty did. MY POINT, is that we have a well above average running back and everyone acts like we don’t have sh*t
RB room is better than average. With this offense, a dynamic rb isn't really needed.

Defense is where the Vols should focus 100% of it's time in the late signing period and portal. Just my 2 cents.............

If small, hardesty and Kelly played on the same team, you tell me who’s the starter based on actual running back ability and skill?
Fantasy football has ruined how people look at football players.

Like it’s not even worth the time to even continue on this subject. I’m sorry I fell into this non-sense. I’m sorry for even continuing this. My original “yeah okay👌🏾“ was sufficient

RB room is better than average. With this offense, a dynamic rb isn't really needed.

Defense is where the Vols should focus 100% of it's time in the late signing period and portal. Just my 2 cents.............
I hear you.
a dynamic running back changes everything for any offense
being able to run the ball on any down makes any offense better.
It’s a lot harder to stop this offense with a great RB than it is with a pedestrian back.
Getting a lead early in a game and leaning on a “Kenneth Walker” to close out games is a lot easier to do than it is with an average back

If small, hardesty and Kelly played on the same team, you tell me who’s the starter based on actual running back ability and skill?
Fantasy football has ruined how people look at football players.

Like it’s not even worth the time to even continue on this subject. I’m sorry I fell into this non-sense. I’m sorry for even continuing this. My original “yeah okay👌🏾“ was sufficient
Man they are talking about running backs and it started with Cobb and Webb for me, then we got Hayden ,Stewart and Garner… Jamal Lewis Travis Henry and Travis Stephens…. I like Small, a little injury prone but lacks the thighs for the leg drive and to stone the rush. With how this offense likes to spread the defense out I think a bigger back who can break arm tackles would be optimal

Reactions: StoVol
We need a lot.
I think we need a QB. Some sophomore QB that's been playing a little.
Understandable. Obviously if you're inferring Caleb Williams that's a dream come true but I think Georgia or USC is somehow going to get him.

Reactions: volnut1
I hear you.
a dynamic running back changes everything for any offense
being able to run the ball on any down makes any offense better.
It’s a lot harder to stop this offense with a great RB than it is with a pedestrian back.
Getting a lead early in a game and leaning on a “Kenneth Walker” to close out games is a lot easier to do than it is with an average back

AND what some folks seem to miss is that CJHs offense is run first! If we can run between the tackles it makes the offense even faster. Quicker to line up, the QB gets to see the exact same defense several snaps in a row AND we won't need as much "flipping" (sides of the field) with receivers, making the O EVEN FASTER!

Reactions: volnut1
AND what some folks seem to miss is that CJHs offense is run first! If we can run between the tackles it makes the offense even faster. Quicker to line up, the QB gets to see the exact same defense several snaps in a row AND we won't need as much "flipping" (sides of the field) with receivers, making the O EVEN FASTER!

Visiting cocks this wkend but UT staff still working this one hard

They want to add a running back, if possible.
If you didn’t see a need for major help at running back this season, though, you and I weren’t watching the same team. Tennessee could use depth and a difference-maker there
-Callahan

Last edited:
Lol my statement isn’t opinion based. Attempts, ypc, total yardage. He’s a better back than JK. Time will tell if he can have a breakout year like Hardesty did. MY POINT, is that we have a well above average running back and everyone acts like we don’t have sh*t
Kelly is very overrated by some of our fans. If had half the talent they claim he wouldn’t just be a fringe NFL guy.

Comparing Hardesty’s stats to Smalls is difficult, mainly because CJHs offense gives RBs more quality chances. So it’s Small’s talent plus the advantageous scheme.

If he can heal up and continue to build lower body strength, Small has the potential to be great. His dead leg cut in the open field is already next level.

VN Store

Back